Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intertoto Cup 2006

• 10-04-2006 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=411768.html

Draw takes place at 11:00 GMT today, and the draw is regionalised. Portugal have declined entering a team.

Guess I find out my holiday destinations before midday today then! :D May not find out what team I'm going to watch Shelbourne annihilate, but I'll know the country I'm invading! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It doesn't say on UEFA.com what regions there are, does it?

Am I just not seeing it?

UEFA

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

No, it doesn't say what regions are what! Madness! Assuming like in the UEFA Cup, it'd be Germany/Denmark/Sweden/Finland and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

so what english team is going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No one at this early stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What is the format for qualification for English clubs does anyone know?

• Advertisement

League position isn't it?

Sixth ot Seventh, or whoever fancies it after that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4895064.stm

Everton, Blackburn, Boro, and 4 other English clubs have applied.

Importance of Europe clear

Half the Premiership could find themselves in mainstream European competition next season if Middlesbrough go on to collect the UEFA Cup.

Boro tackle Basle in the first leg of their quarter-final tomorrow knowing, unlike Arsenal, victory in the competition will open up an extra European space.

UEFA amended the Champions League qualification rules last summer to prevent any country having five representatives in the tournament, as was the case this year.

It means if the Gunners emulate Liverpool's achievement last term and win the Champions League but finish outside the Premiership's top four, the fourth-placed club - currently Tottenham - will drop into the UEFA Cup.

However, if Boro triumph in the secondary European competition England will gain an extra place, even if the Teessiders also win the FA Cup or are beaten by Chelsea or Liverpool in the final.

In addition, England are in line to gain entry into the annual Fair Play draw, which could bring a place in the UEFA Cup first qualifying round, while a record seven teams have expressed an interest in taking part in this summer's revamped Intertoto Cup.

Previously derided, the Intertoto has suddenly become far more attractive to Premiership clubs who, under the competition's new format, now only have to win one two-legged tie in July to reach the UEFA Cup second qualifying round the following month.

Unlike previous seasons, only one English club will be allowed to participate - the highest ranked side who have not already qualified for Europe - with the draw due to be made in Nyon on April 10.

England's potential 10-team European entry:

# Champions League - FOUR.

Top two in the Premiership (currently Chelsea and Manchester United qualify automatically for group stage), third and fourth placed teams (Liverpool and Tottenham) into final qualifying round.

But if Arsenal win Champions League and finish outside top four, they become third English club straight into group stage with Tottenham going into UEFA Cup.

# UEFA Cup - THREE OR FOUR

Fifth and sixth in Premiership (Blackburn and Arsenal), plus FA Cup winner or runner-up (West Ham, Charlton or Middlesbrough) straight into first round.

If Middlesbrough win UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup final, they will go into first round as tournament holders and seventh placed Premiership team (Bolton) would join them.

# Fair Play - ONE

Country which finishes top of UEFA's Fair Play League (currently Belgium) automatically allocated one place in UEFA Cup 1st qualifying round. All countries with a final average of eight or above (England was 8.023 in December) go into a draw for the two remaining places. If successful, the highest placed team in Premiership Fair Play League not already in Europe (presently Charlton, then Wigan) would take the European place.

# Intertoto Cup - ONE

Highest-ranked team to apply not already in Europe takes England's place in third round. Not all seven teams to express their willingness to participate have done so publicly but it is believed Blackburn, Bolton, Everton and Middlesbrough are among them.

Very interesting.

Pity theres no live internet feed for this draw like the other UEFA competitions. Price of a bad season I guess!

We should know by 12:00. Hopefully!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Any word on this yet?

• Advertisement

Shelbourne -v- Lithuanian Entrants. (Cork showed last year this can be done no problem! :D).
    Winners play a Danish side.
    Winners play a Scottish side.
    Winners go into UEFA Cup QR2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Link to the draw online? Can't find anything on UEFA.com at mo.

Should progress past Lithuanians without much problem, though they will have their homework done this season.

Danish opposition doesn't sound too promising though, but City said the same about Swedish and Dutch opposition in recent years. Very interesting should Shels meet Scottish opposition. Maybe the age old question will finally be answered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Should progress past the first round anyway. Danish opposition may be a tricky tie but I believe Shels have the ability to get past them but the Danish side would certainly fancy themselves to go through. A match against a Scottish side would be very interesting indeed.

COuld have been a worse draw so Shels must b reasonably happy with it.

Scottish aren't guaranteed into Round 3, they play Latvian or Faroe opposition in Round 2. The early reports must have assumed the Scottish side would progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Hibs will be representing Scotland in the intertoto. Inverness are the only other team to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i don't see shels winning it

We need to hit some sort of form first! :)

Thats an exception, and credit to you if thats what you chose to do. Most don't venture past the pub doors, or out of their livingroom. How is that supporting a team? :)

Generally (to myself anyways) support is an ongoing interactive thing. Anything else is just viewing, or experiencing the odd game. Being there in the good times and bad, applauding your team off the pitch, being back in the stands a few days after a bad defeat and roaring your team on to hopefully a vital 3 points, is support. Yelling "YES!", followed by "I'll have another pint of your finest wheat based drink my good man" is a cop out, and generally seems to just be something to have over a few mates when results go your way. It's not really "support" is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anywho, this is way off topic now! AirBaltic do reasoabley priced direct flights to Vilnius, for those interested!

Bet they beat you easily :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I would not rule Shelbourne out against Hibs, to be honest, and certainly would rate them against ICT.

Hibs had a tour of Ireland in July of Last year, drawing 3-3 with Cork City, beating Pats 5-0, and drawing with Shamrock Rovers 1-1.

They've sold one of their better front Men, Gary O'Connor to Locomotive Moscow, and Derek Riordan will most likely go at the end of this season, and they've not really arranged replacement of these. When you think that this was the team that finished 3rd in the SPL last year, there's an indication there that outside of the Old Firm (and I will grudgingly say Hearts as well), EL is not that far if not only quite on Par with the SPL.

A bit of success for one of the Irish teams in Europe would go a long way towards raising the profile of the Eircom league, which would not be a bad thing.

Umm Shels have to get tru 2 rounds before they get near
    Scotland, i know its great that we expect an EL team to win but Shels are awful this season (sadly...oh woe is us..what a world, what a world!!) and any team who gets them would fancy their chances if they only watch 5 minutes of them defending.

/spooky 1st time a thread on soccer where most thought the EL team would handily get tru 2 rounds in Europe.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

KdjaC wrote:
    Umm Shels have to get tru 2 rounds before they get near
    Scotland, i know its great that we expect an EL team to win but Shels are awful this season (sadly...oh woe is us..what a world, what a world!!) and any team who gets them would fancy their chances if they only watch 5 minutes of them defending.

/spooky 1st time a thread on soccer where most thought the EL team would handily get tru 2 rounds in Europe.

kdjac

Yeah, but Hibs have been falling apart since December too. I've not really been following Shels progress though, so I was probably going on their form from a while back.

Shelbourne face a tricky assignment in the first round of this year’s Intertoto Cup competition after being paired with Lithuanian side Vetra Vilnius in Monday’s draw.

Shels qualified for the tournament by virtue of their third-placed finish in the eircom League last season.

Vetra finished fourth in the Lithuanian top division last season, 35 points behind champions Ekranas – who found Cork City too hot to handle in last summer’s Uefa Cup.

The winners of the tie take on Danish side OB Odense in the second round.

The first round tie takes place over two legs on June 17th and June 24th.

kdjac

OB's current squad:

http://www.eufo.de/football/den/2005/odene_bk.htm

Not sure whether it is definitely them though, because they are currently only 3 points behind the team above them...

http://www.uefa.com/footballEurope/Club=52233/domestic.html

So just hope that Ollie gets battered in Europe, and that Shels progress? Everyone's a winner, baby! :D lol

1948?

Or have I been whooshed?

^ Thats what i was thinking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement