Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk 106 report often wrong!

• 10-04-2006 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I listen to news talk a ffair bit but I have noticed more and more that they are reporting things incorrectly.
    At the moment they are reporting about a quality of life report yet the report is actually standard of living not life and even explains the differnce.

http://www.mercerhr.com/qualityofliving

I have noticed them naming places incorrectly such Coolock become Artane. Kilester beame the city centre once.

The pub being re-opened close to the Stardust fire was said to be on the site of the club and a new pub. THe fact it was open for 20 odd years after the fire meant nothing let alone the fact it wasn't on the site.

Has anybody else noticed this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

This morning they were reporting that murder in Tallaght as a gangland shooting.RTÉ were (and still are) reporting it as a stabbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeh I noticed that about the stabbing... Quite the difference, considering the current climate.

Still, love the station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Is there a body that you can report them to as tehy seem to be getting worse every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Is there a body that you can report them to as tehy seem to be getting worse every day.

I'd just ask for my money back if I were you.

Probably these: http://www.bci.ie/

• Advertisement

I'd just ask for my money back if I were you.

Well as bad reporting has a cost I just want the station to pay. Many idiots listen to baddly reported news and then bitch about how bad life is in the city. I think people should be held responsible.

THanks Helter

How about getting in contact with Newstalk first and voicing your concern? A little courtesy would be nice. Their news readers often stumble on their words too, do you wanna pull them on that too? The station's only 4 years old, so not perfect.

I think that it's the best station on Irish radio at the moment, despite a few creases.

But then, nothing beats having something to complain about, so work away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I also love Newstalk and think it is one of the best daytime stations on Irish radio. However, I agree that incorrect reporting is bad for the station and the listeners alike.

Contacting the station with a complaint is definitely the best first option. You may find that as a relatively new station, they have a smaller budget for news than other stations. Budget is really important!!

Either way, let them respond first, then contact the BCI if the response is unsatisfactory. However, if you contact the BCI you will need the date and time of the bulletins as well as the content and you may not hear back from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

To be honest if you're ever listening to any news station or reading the paper, and you know something about the event being reported, you'll notice they get it wrong much of the time. I've noticed it for debates, schools rugby matches, eclipses, public addresses (e.g. Naom Chomsky) and a few other things (like Bird Flu)... they're just getting the info second hand too, same as you, but if you've got it first hand then your picture will be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But there is a difference in pulling it from the news wires, which are 99.9% correct in their wording, and then some sub-editor in the newsroom of a radio station paraphrasing what was written, to suit the style of the broadcasts.

Take Spin 1038's news style, for example. Reuters or AP don't write it like that!

And if care was taken, it could save on lawsuits.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    How about getting in contact with Newstalk first and voicing your concern? A little courtesy would be nice. Their news readers often stumble on their words too, do you wanna pull them on that too?

I have corrected them a number of times. Sometimes they correct themselves sometimes they don't. THe woman who was shot in Coolock was a terrible story and at one point they statted refering to the shots at the house as "the house was sprayed with bullets". Now I consider that unreasonable and bias.

I e-mail my concerns and I got no response courtesy is a two way street. THey have missed there chance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I have corrected them a number of times. Sometimes they correct themselves sometimes they don't. THe woman who was shot in Coolock was a terrible story and at one point they statted refering to the shots at the house as "the house was sprayed with bullets". Now I consider that unreasonable and bias.

I e-mail my concerns and I got no response courtesy is a two way street. THey have missed there chance

that's not bias, it's arguably sensationalist.

You should phone them or write a letter. E-mails are often ignored or not read at all. A popular radio would get hundreds of e-mails a day.

Just noticed RTÉ are reporting the new drink driving legislation as "Drivers who do not contest the drink driving charge will be put off the road for a year and fined, whereas those who choose to go through the courts will face much higher penalties."

However this morning Newstalk were reporting it as a six-month ban for drivers who do not contest the charge.

hmmm... I wonder what sources they get their news from? I don't know much about how the media works, but I would have thought that they would be reading the same reports etc as RTÉ.

DaveMcG wrote:
    hmmm... I wonder what sources they get their news from? I don't know much about how the media works, but I would have thought that they would be reading the same reports etc as RTÉ.

They should be getting the same press releases as every other news outlet. I assume the Government issued a press release about this issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Unless the press release was vague or wordy... although it does seem odd.

I was going to say that maybe RTE's year statement would be "up to a year", meaning 6 months could be a minimum, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DaveMcG wrote:
    Along with press releases, News will also be fed from the news agencies, such as the Press Association in Dublin and London. International news will come from loads of news agencies; Reuters, AP, AFP are just some of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I listen to news talk a ffair bit but I have noticed more and more that they are reporting things incorrectly.

Err… a “ffair” bit? ;)

At the moment they are reporting about a quality of life report yet the report is actually standard of living not life and even explains the differnce.

http://www.mercerhr.com/qualityofliving

Is the report’s author being subjective, or is the definition on that page widely accepted by any kind of standards?

The report covers “Quality of Living”, people live life. Yes, I’m suggesting that the two terms are interchangeable.
    I have noticed them naming places incorrectly such Coolock become Artane. Kilester beame the city centre once.

Excusing your spelling/typos once again, unless you can give detailed context (what was this about, if it was in Artane, how close was it to Coolock? Did they correct them selves? How quickly? Etc etc etc…)

The pub being re-opened close to the Stardust fire was said to be on the site of the club and a new pub. THe fact it was open for 20 odd years after the fire meant nothing let alone the fact it wasn't on the site.

Could you clarify what the error is here?
    "the house was sprayed with bullets".

As flogen said that's sensationalist, it is nothing more. I cant be 100%, but if I remember correctly, an eyewitness described the event that way ("sprayed with bullets") - it was on a different radio station, or possibly on television, I recall hearing such.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

"I e-mail my concerns and I got no response courtesy is a two way street"

Hmm...

• Advertisement
Advertisement