Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Semis

• 10-04-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Cork City Vs Shels

Linfield Vs Drogs

Huge game tonight. Shels will be somewhat buoyed by their win against Waterford on Friday, City on the other hand, havent been playing well all season, yet are unbeaten, and have only conceded 3 goals in all competitions. I expect this to go to extra time, but I'm afraid Shels will win 1-2.

And if the above happens, i couldnt give a toss who wins the other game....actually I hope Drogs lose. Which i suspect they will.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I forgot tonight could go to ET and penalties! Thank Jesus I got tomorrow morning off work! :D It's gonna be a long trip! I'm not overly optimistic, we were shat against Waterford, but hopefully will up our game tonight. The atmosphere should be something else too! :) Fair few Shels fans heading down, 2 organised coaches, and loads driving/train/plane. Here's hoping for a good game, and a Shelbourne win! :)

Linfield - Drogs, will be tight enough, but I'd imagine Linfield will win this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shels bringing a crowd with them? Well I'll be!

I assume the coaches are mini coaches :D

Better start resting my voice, as I must shout torrents of abuse at Reynolds, Cahill, Kearney and Greg, as well as the other Shels players, who i just plain dont like.

Going to be a tense one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wish I could make this game.

I'd like it not to go to ET and penalties, and of course a Shels win.
    gimmick wrote:
    City on the other hand, havent been playing well all season...
    Neither have Shels.
    gimmick wrote:
    ...yet are unbeaten
    Ah, but Shels have been.

Which is why I am fearful for our chances down in Turners X tonight. While I think our squad superior to City's, I still don't think we have gelled as we should have (that said, I haven't seen a sniff of a game this season :D ), and am beginning to think if we ever will, and until such time as we do, I don't think we will be winning any silverware.

I'd love a repeat of last year's final, and get revenge on Linfield, but read this :

Linfield go for EVERY trophy they can
    :eek:
    That is some carrot for them to win this Setanta Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Looking forward to it as ever! Should be a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

full house at the cross tonight i'd expect.. should be an entertaining game, city are without roy o'donovan and mick devine, and john o'flynn, as always, is doubtful..

will be very interesting to see if kearney comes on, i'd expect the boos to be heard in dublin..

ha ha shels bringing a crowd, i'll believe it when i see it :D

hopefully they will it will help create a magic atmosphere tonight...

city by the odd goal i think...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Should be a good game tonight. Cork have had the better start to the season than Shels but if im honest I thin that Shels have the better squad, it depends if they can raise their game enough as its going to be very tough for them. Should be a good atmosphere in the cross and I just want to see a cracking game of football.

I think this will go to ET with Cork to nick it.

No sub keeper for Shels! Atmosphere looks electric, wish I was there... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/4891520.stm

Linfield lost on saturday, every radio station been saying they still unbeaten :confused:

kdjac

Unbeaten in Setanta perhaps? I dunno.

Cork 1-0 up, Shels made to pay for terrible finishing on numerous occasions.

That would have been Rooney-esque by Stewie!

Not too disappointed with the midfield so far, the backs have let us down, Crowe hasn't been great and Jayo has hardly had a sniff. Still confident we can get a goal in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cork have been pretty poor in the first half, especially at the back, but they go into the break 1-0 up. Shels have been on top from the start but have been guilty of some very poor finsihing especially Crowe who has been pretty awful so far. Byrne has been non existant as well. Shels should be at least level in this game and unless Corks defence improves I cant see them keeping Shels out.

Incidently what the hell was the referee at when Behan was on teh ground injured. he wouldnt let the Pysio on for him. Thats very poor from the ref imo.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Incidently what the hell was the referee at when Behan was on teh ground injured. he wouldnt let the Pysio on for him. Thats very poor from the ref imo.

Not to mention that clown on the sideline. :mad:

Crawford was very lucky to get away with what he did to O'Callaghan, but swings and roundabouts... :p

Setanta production has been infuriating tonight. They keep showing pointless replays while the ball is still in play.

C'mon Jayo!!! Here we go!!!

**** peno...

Should have been a re-take. Keeper moved well before the ball was struck and was a mile off his line. Crap penalty though.

Behan very unlucky not to get a second for Cork

2-0, game over. Shels are wrecking my head. Diabolical defending yet again. Dillon should have started.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    2-0, game over.

With the amount of chances Shels are getting I wouldnt say that just yet. Poor defending by Shels for the goal.

With the way Jamie Harris is playing I might have been a bit hasty, 3-0 might be more likely. Waiting to see Kearney come on and make a fool of himself, thats the way its going.

Cork in total control now. Looks like its over.

• Advertisement

Crawley sent off at the Cross, yet again. If I said what I thought about him I'd be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

haha, great game. We robbed shels in the first half, it was great. Peter Mark up to his usually antics, havent seen many of his matches but when i have seen him theres always a bit of drama.

Shels should of really won that. Our defending in the first half was very poor. Thankfully so was shels finishing. Improed i nthe second half, cuto ut the stupid mistakes at the back. Shels were unlucky though, they probaly deserved to win.

Hope we get linfield i nthe final. Although gets drogs wouldnt be too bad, chance for pay back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

"Low lie!, the fields of Bishopstown, where once we watched the Cork City Play!!!!!!!

Shels should of really won that. Our defending in the first half was very poor. Thankfully so was shels finishing. ...........they probaly deserved to win.

What game were you watching man? City dominated that game from about the 15th minute. Shels are muck. Yes they had chances, but apart from Byrnes great shot, no real chance from play.

The ref was a wánker from start to the 92.5min, and even at that, the Crawley decision was a poor one. City got not one decision. Every 50/50 went Shels way. City players were booked for things which Shels did and not a free kick was given.

I love David Crawley though, but he is the scapegoat for that scouse git (and like MJS with Crawley, i wont go into what i think of him, as its probably illegal). He is without doubt, the worst centre half I have ever seen play professional football. All he is is a dirty player, who can head the ball, and hoof it long. Harris is only marginally better. Shels midfield, apart from Stuey Byrne, who i think is the most under rated player in the country, is crap. Ryan is a better player than Baker, and that says little. Crawford? lol. And Cahill, while I know he is a decet player, let the fans get to him tonight.

Crowe is shít. Period. J Byrne. meh. Anonymous all night long.

In finishing I must say thank you to Eamonn Collins, the former St Pats manager for making a fool of himself in, and outside the ground. He always provides us with a laugh. Couldnt cut it at Pats yet he thinks he is all that now that he is Shels number 2. Pathetic little man. And to the scouser for trying to get stuck on a few 16 year olds after the game, and being forced onto the team bus by the gardai. And how can I finish this without mention to Liam Kearney. He got 15 mins, lost the ball all but once, fell over, and generally put alot of City fans minds at ease that we dont have to worry about his 'on/off' performances. The fact that he was led onto the team bus by his mammy and daddy made things all the better

Great night. Great athmosphere. Hope its Linfield in the final, as otherwise the final will be in Dublin..the same weekend as the egg chasing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:
    What game were you watching man? City dominated that game from about the 15th minute. Shels are muck. Yes they had chances, but apart from Byrnes great shot, no real chance from play.

Jason one on one with the keeper, should of hit it earlier, but let the right back(murray is it?) get back and make the challegne. The through ball when the shels player tried to take it around the keeper, but keeper dived down well and took it at his feet.

Glen crowes "diving header". Should of stuck it in the net, only the keeper to beat. Terrible miss. The great shoot at the end of the first half. The fact the city keeper won MOM says a fair bit.

All the shels keeper had to do for the whole game was pick the ball out of the net. Cant think of anything else, bar behans shoot that hit the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

outclassed by the champions. simple as. except for the first 15 minutes where shels were on top i didnt feel once that we would lose the game. byrnes peno summed up shels night really.

colin o'brien had no right to score that first goal, but through sheer determination he won the ball and finished cooly, set us on our way.

great atmposphere tonight, it was like the derry game all over again..

great night, absolutely magic.

THATS WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS

The fact that McNulty was Setanta's MOTM says a bit, but I still think Cork deserved this one. Of course they did, they scored goals, which is what its all about.

^ While McNulty had a good game, I feel he was given the MOTM only because he is a newbie playing in a high pressure game. The MOTM was either Danny Murphy or Neale Fenn.
    Jason one on one with the keeper, should of hit it earlier, but let the right back(murray is it?) get back and make the challegne. The through ball when the shels player tried to take it around the keeper, but keeper dived down well and took it at his feet.

Byrne never got one on one with the keeper, because as you pointed out Danny Murphy made agreat tackle, and besides that, the way he played he probablywould have skyed it. As for Crowes effort, I honestly cant remember it. With regard to the through ball, there were 3 players on the line, so ever had Nults not made the save, there was alot of work to do.

City deserved the win tonight, Shels didnt. Simple as that.

And of course Im not biased :p

Crowes effort was a diving header about 6 yards out. Stewie Byrne almost rounded the keeper, who made a great recovery. Jayo was almost one on one but took it too wide, which gave Danny Murphy the chance to make the tackle (which he did perfectly).

The keeper made two stops from Stewie Byrne, one of them a great piece of recovery on the ground, the other a fingertip save from a swerving volley. He saved the penalty but even Fat Pat in the studio would have got that one. Woeful strike.

I agree with you about Fenn, he was different class. That time he took the high ball down perfectly is what he is all about, instant control. One of the best touches in the league.

• Advertisement

My god you Cork lads are biased. Shels were the better team in teh first half and had many chances to score but bad finishing let them down. To ay they didnt have lots of chances is just silly. Shels could quite easily have been the team in the lead at half time but they didnt take their chances and Cork did.

Second half once Corl got the second goal they totally bossed the game and were always in control. In the end Cork scored 2 goals and Shels scored none so they deserved to go through but to say Cork outplayed Shels from the 15th minute on is a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Well theres a handy €80k for Cork they'll win that too

Fair play to City.

Well done.

blu_sonic wrote:
    Well theres a handy €80k for Cork they'll win that too

City aint going up there to lose at all :confused:
    to say Cork outplayed Shels from the 15th minute on is a lie.

A lie? Am I trying to deliberately decieve anyone? No, I am giving an opinion based on what I saw transpire in front of me. As a fan last night, I never felt that Shels were going to score from play. Now, how is that a 'lie'?

Fenlon looked a worried man last night. Setanta Cup Final was the least Shels were expecting.

gimmick wrote:
    A lie? Am I trying to deliberately decieve anyone? No, I am giving an opinion based on what I saw transpire in front of me. As a fan last night, I never felt that Shels were going to score from play. Now, how is that a 'lie'?

Fine maybe "lie" was the wrong word but you know what I meant. I think your opinion on the first half is slightly biased and Cork didnt control the game until they got the second goal.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I think your opinion on the first half is slightly biased
    Em, of course it is, he's a City fan.

All City fans are biased :D

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    City aint going up there to lose at all

i never said they'll lose, i think they'll win, but regardless thats money in the bank now

Fair play Cork. Did what we couldn't, and took the chances.

Ref was abysmal for both sides. Shockingly inept.

Great atmosphere, full house I do believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I don't subscribe to Setanta. Should I be seeing this game (Lingfield Vs Drogheda) because I am. :confused:

Brian017 wrote:
    I don't subscribe to Setanta. Should I be seeing this game (Lingfield Vs Drogheda) because I am. :confused:

Are you on SKy or NTL its free on NTL.

kdjac

Not a bad start by the Drogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

KdjaC wrote:
    Are you on SKy or NTL its free on NTL.

kdjac
    Nevermind, it's re-encrypted :(

1-0, a Keddy cracker. Totally deserved, Drogheda have hardly left Linfields half.

Will Linfields shocking run of form continue? ;)

Edit: "You can stick yer f***in' Euro up yer hole!" - Classic chant!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Edit: "You can stick yer f***in' Euro up yer hole!" - Classic chant!

COuldnt stop laughing at that. Drogs are really playing well so far and deserve the lead. Could be an all EL final if Drogs can keep this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sorry lads no link whats the score?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p222.htm

TUESDAY APRIL 11
    SETANTA CUP SEMI-FINAL
    Linfield 0-1 Drogheda United 8.00
    Keddy 33

10 left or so.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

And that's the way it finished.

Replay of the FAI Cup final anyone? A good chacne for Drogheda to get revenge for last months daylight robbery by Cork! :cool:

^ What daylight robbery would that be then?

Would have prefered to play Linfield in the final tbh, if for no other reason, the final could well be on in Dublin now, the same weekend as the Munster/Leinster rugby game, making getting there quite the task - flights are prohibitively dear, and trains are a balls these days as you cant bring your own booze onto the 'chartered' trains.

That aside, I would have prefered see the glamour tie of eL champions play IL champions to decide who the real champions of Ireland are. Instead now its Champions versus some two bob shower of hackers who will most likely go bankrupt in the next 3 years in what cannot be called a glamour tie.

I wonder how many players Drogs will finsih this game with?

hang on a mo, the drogs are one of the strongest team in the EL now, I think the FAI cup prooved that and to call them hackers well thats a little like the kettle calling the pot black, i seem to remember a certain George making a lunge at a derry goalkeeper, in an FAI cup semi. but sure it was in cork so it never happened eh ;)

Cork in the last few years have been an exciting team to watch, playing good football with an eye for goal, the Drogs recent form is very good (i think the'll win the EL this year) they are a hard working, aggressive, attacking team, they conceed fouls through determination to win the ball rather than being dirty.

I think it'll be a great game anda true way of finding out who th champions of Ireland are, the FAI vrs The EL. I think the Drogs will shade it

blu_sonic wrote:
    they conceed fouls through determination to win the ball rather than being dirty.

They ahve had 4 red cards in 3 games against City this season. Thats dirty.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    I think it'll be a great game anda true way of finding out who th champions of Ireland are, the FAI vrs The EL. I think the Drogs will shade it

No it wont. A true way of finding out would be Champions Vs Champions. Unfortunately its not. The fact that Drogs are in the final devalues it IMO, as IL Vs eL champions would have attracted a bigger tv audience, and possibly a bigger crowd on the night.

This will be the 4th meeting of these 2 sides this season (in the space of 10 weeks i think). City have yet to concede aginst them, have scored 4 on them, and will be the favourites again to win this match. Drogs will be fired up, and will try and take George out in the early exchanges.
    i seem to remember a certain George making a lunge at a derry goalkeeper, in an FAI cup semi. but sure it was in cork so it never happened eh

Being completely honest, I have no idea what you are on about there.

gimmick wrote:
    A true way of finding out would be Champions Vs Champions. Unfortunately its not. The fact that Drogs are in the final devalues it IMO, as IL Vs eL champions would have attracted a bigger tv audience, and possibly a bigger crowd on the night.

So why do the other 6 teams take part? Are you saying you want the Setanta Cup to be a 2 team competition? Thats, erm... neat, like? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement