Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Semis

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Devalues is too strong a word, but Im sure the majority would have prefered see Linfield in the final.

Drogs are not a good team, they wont win the Setanta, they won retain the FAI Cup, they wont qualify for next years setanta.
    the drogs are one of the strongest team in the EL now, I think the FAI cup prooved that

They have had a decent start. They wont sustain it. Their cup win proved feck all. Look at Longford. they hardly built on their successive wins, now did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

hold on, you could say cork will go to the wall in 3 years too, lets face it cork teams have a history of going bust, now the Drogs are just like Cork a few years back a team on the rise, I ope they win the setanta just to proove your arrogance wrong and i hope they turn you over in the league,

2 leagues and you'd swear you were Irish Giants, at the end of the day your a minnow team that came good, your far from minnows now but lets wait untill you've a heritage of winning to shoot down other clubs

Gimmick wrote:
    Being completely honest, I have no idea what you are on about there
    don't you remember it was still 0-0 and georgie was a little annoyed that the keeper was time wasting and made a lunge at him? he was booed, might have been a red on another day, but sure it was cork in the cross why would a cork fan remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    Devalues is too strong a word, but Im sure the majority would have prefered see Linfield in the final.
    Yeah, but Drogs qualified for the Setanta Cup by virtue of last season's performance, be it the League or Cup matters not, the stipulations for qualification are there, they reached them and qualified.

Then they faced a group and semi final and did what six other clubs could not, and now are in the final.

What most people would prefer to see is irrelevant.

Most people would have preferred a team other than Greece to win Euro 2004, but hey, that's the game we love.

blu_sonic wrote:
    he was booed, might have been a red on another day, but sure it was cork in the cross why would a cork fan remember

I ahve always held my hands up when City have done wrong on the pitch. Ill admit to poor players behaviour etc. I dont remember that incident. I was at the game, and cannot remember any remonstartions or anything. Nor can i remember anything being made of it by Derrys fans, or management after the game.

With regard to who is in the final, its Drogheda. As stated above, they did what others couldn't, so yes, they are there by merit.

If nothing else, it will be a hot affair in Tolka, as these two teams do not like each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah sure it'll be lukewarm at this stage the amount you're playing each other! :D

^ Another reason why Id prefer .if it were City Vs Linfield.

Though its arguable that the fact the 2 sides have met so often that tensions are still running high and fresh in the memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Arguable? I bloody well will argue about it!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Drogheda suffer Barrett blow

April 12, 2006

eircom League leaders Drogheda United could be without big-money signing Shane Barrett for a lengthy spell after the striker sustained a suspected leg fracture in Tuesday night’s Setanta Sports Cup semi-final win over Linfield.

Barrett joined the Boynesiders from Longford Town for a fee of approximately €50,000 earlier this year and settled in quickly at United Park.

But he was subjected to a series of heavy tackles from Linfield defenders at Windsor Park on Tuesday and was helped from the field before the half-hour mark, with initial fears suggesting the County Meath native could be set for a long stint on the sidelines.

Drogs boss Paul Doolin is fortunate to have a squad strong enough to withstand a long lay-off to one of his key men – Irish under-21 international Mark Leech replaced Barrett as Glen Fitzpatrick’s strike partner on Tuesday night, while captain Declan O’Brien – who missed the game with a slight injury – and Finnish star Sami Ristila are other alternatives for attacking roles

• Advertisement

Drogs For the setanta/league double

Advertisement