Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

• 10-04-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a good quote for decking, everything supplied labour etc for roughly 200sqft...€2600

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Is it raised? any steps /handrails etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

no, not raised and with handrails and we can have gates etc put in if we want, basucally 2600 all in, looking around it seems to be a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Try this guy. He is based in Nenagh, Co. Tipp but he travelled to Dublin to do decking for me about 18 months ago.
    He did a good job and it was a good price too from what I remember.

Noel Hamill - 087-2650852. I faxed him a sketch of what I wanted and he gave me a price.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Mike

Paid 4250 euros from Calssic Decks for about 560 sqft with handrails and steps

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Bulmers,

I've PM'd you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Was talking to a friend of mine in Boston and decking was mentioned. He was talking about cost of replacing them. Anybody know how long they will last here I was told 20years would be the max in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dermo_the Carpe

Hi bulmers, im a carpenter, if you want i can give u a quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Did my own deck last May. Got Hardwood decking which should last longer.

Its approx 250 Sq feet. Materials cost about €950. Labour Free from Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Did my own deck last May. Got Hardwood decking which should last longer.

Its approx 250 Sq feet. Materials cost about €950. Labour Free from Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

also buy it direct from timber yards, works out alot cheaper. To be honest, they dont last long at all, they arent made for our climate and so rot will definately set in very soon. They also need to be treated every 6 months to stop the green slime effect.
    If i were you id start looking around for a new type of decking. Its made of polyurethene ( i think, its some rubber) and it will last a lifetime. Its been around in the states for a year or two, its much better quality and no need for treating, rot or other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Decking can last for 20 years plus, if its looked after. You don't need to treat every 6 months, thats for sure. Giving it hard wood deck a power wash from time to time, is a great way of geting rid of the green slime, and will do no damage to the deck.

There no reason what so ever a deck can't do you untill you change the style of you garden or move house. It will just need some TLC from time time. You'd spend time mowing the lawn, so why not spend a little time looking after your deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

Have a mate thats in the decking game and he;s pretty cheap if you havent already found what ur looking for... pm me for number... he's in north dublin area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what is the obsession with making everything from pvc?

my opinion/experience of the two products is that unless you completely neglect it then timber can always be cleaned up and painted, but once plastic goes bad you dump it.

hideous, plastic decking, yikes, nearly as bad as pvc stud fencing (i kid you not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I like the look of decking but have heard it is a haven for vermin.
    Anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Deck or no deck mice/rats are everywhere and I believe you're never more than 20' from them. We've a deck and have never seen any vermin. Believe me when I say that if I even saw a dead mouse or rat logic goes out the window and I'd be a hysteric blubbering wreck. Just good hygiene practises and not leaving food lying around should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nimina

Hi,

I do decking - click on the following link to view my add and also some photos of recent work carried out.

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/-decking-recommendation-photos-added-vt23845.html

That price seems high. Based on the information you have given I would be quoting you around the €2k mark.

Feel free to give me a call and I can arrange to call and give you a free, no obligation quote.

Cheers
    John

Advertisement