Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel help needed.

• 10-04-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an Excel file thats about 1500 lines in total. But the problem is the size of it. it's over 18MB's which is crazy. I removed all the visible images and now it's at 12MB. I did a test and made a new 1500 line file and filled it with text and it's not even 1MB,, So how do i find any hidden images in the file ?

Or does anyone know why this file is so big when it's only text.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

NeVeR wrote:
    Hi,

I have an Excel file thats about 1500 lines in total. But the problem is the size of it. it's over 18MB's which is crazy. I removed all the visible images and now it's at 12MB. I did a test and made a new 1500 line file and filled it with text and it's not even 1MB,, So how do i find any hidden images in the file ?

Or does anyone know why this file is so big when it's only text.

Any help would be great.

As far as I remember certain versions of office hold deleted information, could be the reason your file is so big.

Try copying and pasting the text into a new excel document and check the file size then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Boggles wrote:
    As far as I remember certain versions of office hold deleted information, could be the reason your file is so big.

Try copying and pasting the text into a new excel document and check the file size then.

Thats true for Word at least - some non-ms office programs can let you see the edits/revisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

It's wierd... If i copy it and use Paste special i get the file with no images and it's only 132kb which is grand... then when i copy it using CTRL + V it copies all the images and everything and it's 18MB again,, if i remove the images it's back to 11MB so whatever is in it is copying over as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Tools\share workbook\advanced\share workbook.

Are you keeping a change history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

No thats not it. I checked and i change the setting to "dont keep change history" it's still the same size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try saving as a different type of file and re-importing it again. Try working back to earlier versions of excel first, CSV as a last resort - but only if no formulas.

Or make a new excel workbook and cut / paste. if a worksheet is too big try clicking on bit on the top left that highlights all cells and then paste the cells into a new worksheet.

Or openoffice, it's been great for word docs especially if you want to export a word doc as a html doc. also gives you more choices in the save as dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Remove the blanks, ctrl + g, special, select blanks then delete.

Delete rows and columns which are unused as they may be included in any formulas.

Copy the sheet to a new workbook using the move or copy option

//edit forgot to mention ctrl + g, special, select objects will hilight every object/image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In what file format are the images you are using?
    Try using Jpeg versions.

Copy & paste the text into a new workbook.
    Then insert the images one-by-one into the new workbook as Jpegs.

Advertisement