Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burned DVD's not read by Sony DAV sb300

• 10-04-2006 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Have tried to backup one of my movies onto a spare DVD and although it plays in my dvd player in my pc/laptop and extra dvd player - it won't play in my Sony davsb300 surround sound.

Simple question - does it make a difference whether the files were burned in - format or + format?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I have checked the spec's again and it says that it can play:

DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, JPEG

I have burned on a DVD+RW but it won't even read it - is there anything else I need to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Maxwell wrote:
    I have checked the spec's again and it says that it can play:

DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, JPEG

I have burned on a DVD+RW but it won't even read it - is there anything else I need to do?

You most likely have to finalise the disk before it will play in a non recorder player.

L.

Thanks for your response.

Would you mind explain how I "Finalise" the disk?

Sorry - I had googled it now and will check when I get home to see if I can go back in and finalise the disk

So I presume I wouldn't have this problem if i burned the files to a DVDR as they are finalised anyway - yes? The problem seems to stem from the fact Im using a DVDRW disk?

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Maxwell wrote:
    ...So I presume I wouldn't have this problem if i burned the files to a DVDR as they are finalised anyway - yes? The problem seems to stem from the fact Im using a DVDRW disk?...

I don't know how your recorder recordes single write discs, so you will indeed have to check that in the manual. I came across the same problem on my pioneer because when I recorded CD's before (on a CDR) it automatically finalised afterwards, but the DVDR didn't finalise automaticaly.

It may have something to do with the recording method - ie Video Mode or Video Record Mode. VR allows editing after writing but before finalising and VM just allows you to add more titles to the end of the disc before finalising.

Anyway, check it out in the manual and give it a go.

L.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks again - I will check it out!

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Some info from the manual (see page 7):
    Examples of discs the system cannot play
    DVD-RWs in VR (Video Recording) mode

Dr. Spock wrote:
    Some info from the manual (see page 7):

Thanks for that

....suppose I should have read the manual - slap on the hands for me!!

It does state in the next paragragh on page 8, that some copies won't work and it made special mention to the fact that they need to be finalised.

Think I will re-burn the files in - format and make sure it is finalised and hopefully it might work

Thanks to all for the help

Advertisement