Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix damaged step on stairs

Options
  • 10-04-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A piece of skirting board fell down the stairs and nicked the top of the second last step!! Pic attached.

I don't think wood glue is going to fix it.

What are my options?

Would it be expensive to replace a single step?

I don't want to put carpet on the stairs - I'd rather it wooden.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

How about using some wood glue, tack it in to place with some panel pins..? You could then countersink the heads and use a bit of filler to finish it off.

The only downside though, is that this fix wouldn't take any weight. If you (like me I'm sure) don't put your foot fully on the step and your heel is off the edge, it would probably be easy enough to break again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Try getting some "Gorilla Glue" its an immensely strong wood glue, although you will need to keep pressure applied while it cures as it expands a lot and foars a bit. Once it is set just clean off the excess which foamed out and hit it with a bit of sandpaper in the direction of the grain. Then apply finish

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Dr. Spock. One of my colleagues in work had the exact same idea :) It probably would be fine until a visitor put their foot/heel on it. I wouldn't be too worried about the step breaking, as much as the visitor falling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

bubby wrote:
    Hi Dr. Spock. One of my colleagues in work had the exact same idea :) It probably would be fine until a visitor put their foot/heel on it. I wouldn't be too worried about the step breaking, as much as the visitor falling!!

Simply place a mattress at the end of the stairs.

LOL .. I was thinking water slide myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bubby wrote:
    A piece of skirting board fell down the stairs and nicked the top of the second last step!! Pic attached.

I don't think wood glue is going to fix it.

What are my options?

Would it be expensive to replace a single step?

I don't want to put carpet on the stairs - I'd rather it wooden.
    Do you only have 3 fingers?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Do you only have 3 fingers?

What if I do? Does that cause you any problems???

bubby wrote:
    What if I do? Does that cause you any problems???
    Jesus, not at all! I just thought it was a strange picture. Didn't mean to cause offence.

{cough cough splutter .. cackle in the distance} .... ROFL :D

I was only messing - it does look odd though doesn't it.
    I'm trying to think how the hell the camera missed the other one!

bubby wrote:
    {cough cough splutter .. cackle in the distance} .... ROFL :D

I was only messing - it does look odd though doesn't it.
    I'm trying to think how the hell the camera missed the other one!
    Ya bleedin fecker!! I actually got embarrassed when I saw your last response. :o

But yeah, it really does look like you've only got 3 fingers.

• Advertisement

Well, I opened up my copy of the Golden Pages and called the professionals in!
    The Carpenter did a brilliant job! He got the exact same wood as the other threads are made from - he even knew what type of varnish I need apply to the thread to make it look the same as the others (over a bit of time).
    Really impressed by the quality of the work.

I had the same guy build a cabinet under the bathroom sink - again - astounded by the workmanship!!

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Good to hear bubby - who was the chippie? Maybe you could add his name/company/address to the stickie at the top of the forum..?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Any chance of a pic of it now.

Advertisement