Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disney to make TV shows available for free download

• 10-04-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I suppose this is the right forum.

http://home.eircom.net/content/reuters/entertain/7824476?view=Eircomnet

I know some people get episodes from their cousins (free of ads;) ), but I thought this was interesting. I wonder if they will become available outside the US? Are the shows available to buy on iTunes over here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i tried to download Sleeper Cell through iTunes and it wouldnt allow me so it isnt on iTunes over here

Sleeper Cell is on FX tomorrow night, i recommend it highly for anyone who hasnt seen it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Yeah, I reckon myself that Disney will only make legal downloads available in the US, with US advertisments. The loss of revenue from selling the programmes to other countries wouldn't be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

elurhs wrote:
    Yeah, I reckon myself that Disney will only make legal downloads available in the US, with US advertisments. The loss of revenue from selling the programmes to other countries wouldn't be worth it.

They could also do the same in other countries - include local advertising. The numbers would still be small enough (at first anyway) not to affect the international sales. I think the cost will be the biggest issue when this does achieve international roll-out. We'd all probably be fine with $0.99 per show (given that most of us would go on to buy shows we like on DVD later) - but anything well over $2 would probably mean it'd be wiser just to wait for the DVD in the first place (rather than fork out twice).

Ultimately, legal video downloads will allow programmes to be watched on a par with their US airings - there just needs to be a guaranteed return on their investment. But since there was a time when few websites carried ads targetted locally (most were American in the early days), we can expect a similar flow on video downloads, I reckon.

As the distributor, it's in Disney's (and the others') interests to rewrite their contracts with broadcasters to say "This programme can be aired on television first by you, but may/will also have been made available via broadcaster.com for download..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I doubt Apple will like this too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is the way of the future. Personally, I watch most of my television in this fashion nowadays. Even with BBC series such as 'The Apprentice', where we're not months behind, it's just easier to download them and watch them in your own time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement