Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion, Far Cry or Tomb Raider? Which One should I get

Options
  • 10-04-2006 12:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I like the sound of all 3 games however I can only afford one:)
    I really want something brilliant to play over the Easter and just cannot decide which to get. Ive pld the Tomb Raider demo and loved it but I hear its a bit short, Ive never pld Oblivion but hear while its amazing its very long and involving and has frame rate issues, Far Cry Preditor is the only game that I havent heard much about here on boards but I love fps games, is the Xbox360 version really good etc and does it compare to the pc version in terms of playability and graphics?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd pick far cry, i havent played tomb raider(nebver was a fan of them) but i have played oblivion a bit and well its really just eye candy, incredible looking...but thats all its got for me....gameplay isnt great, storyline not to emersive. at least far cry will be fast paced action.

(waits for oblivion fans abusive replies)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i'd pick far cry, i havent played tomb raider(nebver was a fan of them) but i have played oblivion a bit and well its really just eye candy, incredible looking...but thats all its got for me....gameplay isnt great, storyline not to emersive. at least far cry will be fast paced action.

(waits for oblivion fans abusive replies)

wow couldn't disagree more on oblivion, graphics aint great at all due to frame rate issues and loading, textures are class though.

If you want something to eat up your life and really entertain you get oblivion, be warned you must have some liking for rpg/ fantasy games. Storylines in these games are very good compared to anything out there. It takes hours to get a good feel for the story which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much time you want to burn

Get far cry if you like a good ol fps game, will be shorter than oblivion but if you can get the multiplayer going though, endless fun

Tomb raider, you will prob finish in 3 days but thoroughly entertained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Gonzo wrote:
    IFar Cry Preditor is the only game that I havent heard much about here on boards but I love fps games, is the Xbox360 version really good etc and does it compare to the pc version in terms of playability and graphics?

The X360 verion (FarCry Instincts Preditor) is really just the Xbox version (FarCry Instincts) with updated graphics AFAIK.

Instincts series is supposed to be quite different from the PC version, though I haven't played it. It is supposed to be good though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got Tomb Raider yesterday.

It really doesn't look like it's going to be very long as I played it for about 3 hours yesterday and completed 3 levels and it's showing up as over 33% of the game completed. I'm hoping the levels start to get A LOT longer.

It is fun, but there are a few annoying glitches such as clipping problems. It's not always obvious which way you are supposed to jump, so you tend to try things out... there was one bit where I was up high, but there was a platform about 1 foot down from the ledge she was standing on, so I steped off and fell straight through the platform to my death... very annoying as there is a fairly slow reloading process every time you die.

But I do enjoy these sort of climbing simulator games... I love Prince of Persia too... but I've never been a fan of the combat in Prince of Persia... Tomb Raider's combat is very good this time around.

I definitely haven't enjoyed a tomb raider game like this since the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm 4 levels into Tomb Raider, and I really like it. Can't see any replayability (even with the hidden treasures and unlockable items), but its alot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've played all 3 and I'd definatley go for Oblivion. Tomb raider is great but I'm flying through it and far Cry is ok but didn't really capture me.

I'm 40hrs into Oblivion now and I'm still completely addicted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I've read disappointing impressions of Fry Cry.

I'd say your best bet is Oblivion, then Tomb Raider. I'm quite enjoying the latter at the moment, although it does supposedly end quite abruptly. But that suits me fine with the amount of work I should be otherwise doing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

oblivion - don't want to live a virtual life
    far cry - don't like FPS games
    tomb raider - seems interesting

therefore i'd go for the latter.
    it may be short but it's still what i'd chose of the 3 (there are other games I would rather have outside of those 3)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thanks for replys guys

ok sounds like Far Cry could be a mistake and i dont like making €75 mistakes! ... maybe i'll get it sometime when it eventually gets thrown into the bargain bins!

so a toss up between Oblivion or Tomb Raider....

I could get Tomb Raider on the PC for £18 off play.com and then perhaps Oblivion for the Xbox360 at ripoff irish highstreet prices but at least i'll have it for Easter...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Gonzo wrote:
    I could get Tomb Raider on the PC for £18 off play.com and then perhaps Oblivion for the Xbox360 at ripoff irish highstreet prices but at least i'll have it for Easter...:)
    I think you might be better doing that the other way around. I regret getting Oblivion for the 360... I kind of think I might have enjoyed it more on the PC... that said it wasn't really my cup of tea...

Altough paying €75 for Tomb Raider on the 360 could be a mistake too... seeing as there is probably only about 10 hours of gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I
    I'm 40hrs into Oblivion now and I'm still completely addicted to it.

Between my main character (33hrs) and a few others I've toyed with, Im over 40hrs, and frankly I've lost interest. It seems terrible after I've waiting and wanted so long, but the game fell flat, it doesn't do it. I enjoyed morrowind more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my pc isnt really good enough to run Oblivion at good settings as I only have an ATI X1400 in my laptop, Half Life 2 runs very well with high settings at 1200x1024 on it but stuff like F.E.A.R runs crap so I think Oblivion wud be the same.

I think i'll go for the safest choice and get Tomb Raider, I know i'll love it even if its only going to be a short 3 day gaming experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

I'll admit that i've only played Farcry and Tomb Raider briefly in comparason to Oblivion, but i'm definately on the Oblivion side of this triangular fence. Definately consider it for the future. But it will consume you. I've seen the XBox 360 version in action and would definately reccommend the PC version if possible just because my loading times are virtually non existant. by the way did I mension the TES Construction Set and hours of downloading mods fun to be had? :D:):D:):D:) Well whatever ye pick enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Get the original Far Cry for your PC not the 360 version (if you can run HL2 then your laptop is well suited for it). The original game is excellent. They have had to restrict the freedom you have in that game to port it to the 360.

think i saw the original Far Cry come out on a Budget PCGamer box in game the other day, it was €15 or €8 with any other game, might pick it up so.

As for Oblivion I wish they would bring out a demo so that I cud at least see how well it runs on my laptop before purchasing, it could run very well or run looking like a crock of poo:)

its a dell Inspiron 9400 1.86ghz core duo, 1.5gb ram and the ATI X1400 (not a great card by any means but good enough for HL2/CSS to look great at average frame rates.)

Advertisement