Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derma Laser...any good?

• 10-04-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm new here.

Hope all is well.

I have a question. Can some one tell me if Derma Laser is any good?
    I am looking to have hair removal done IPL (Intense Pulse Light) rather than by laser done in beauty salons.

I have been informed by them that it is safer than laser and is approved by FDA too. Has anyone had this done themselves?
    It is pricey but so is laser and I am trying to pick the right one to go for.

Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

hi, I got the IPL thing done on my lower legs. The brand name I used was Crystal 512 (I think that's the number). Anyway I had it done about 3/4 times, cant really remember - you are suposed to go every 5/6 weeks but I left a few months in between as it's quite expensive.
    Anyway the important thing to remember is this kind of thing promises hair REDUCTION not complete hair REMOVAL. After 3/4 sessions the hair is a lot sparser but there is still hair.

When I filled out the form before I started any procedures it said different people respond differently to the treatment - some ppl only need a few sessions and the hair is practically gone; sometimes you need up to 8/9 sessions.

I would still recommend it. I used to get my legs waxed and the hair would grow back within the week - I think my hair was too weak and would break off before it got to the root. The salon where I go charges 200Euro for lower legs, nearly 500Euro for full legs. But the wonderful thing is when the hair falls out it is soft and smooth for weeks before the other hair cycle begins - this is so rare for me, since I dont see the wax benefits.

So yes it is worth it, but be prepared to go for a few sessions.

The procedure: a laser is used on the area - it doesnt hurt, just a little smarting sensation. It takes about 20 mins for an area such as the lower legs. Only the hair in the growing phase will be affected by the laser - this will fall out in the following couple of weeks, or you can pull it and will come away in your fingers.

Most lasers work best on dark hair on pale skin, so avoid using fake tan before you get it done as the laser is attracted to the pigment. You have to cut the hair before you get the procedure done - the hair should be 1/2mm.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if you have any more q's, just ask

PS Derma Laser appears to be the same thing that is used in beauty salons - IPL is the technology and the different names are the particular brand names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Curley

Thank you Cinn,
    Much appreciated :)

I was told I would have to go every 4 weeks.

And that most people need on average 9 sessions to get the results they want - no hair.

They are charging €150 per session for me or I can take a package offer of €1050 for 9 sessions.

I am going to get upper lip and chin done.

So I one more question for you if you dont mind.

Do you think I should pay for the package or just go every 4 weeks and see how long it takes?

Many thanks in advance

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Curley wrote:
    Thank you Cinn,

I was told I would have to go every 4 weeks.

And that most people need on average 9 sessions to get the results they want - no hair.

They are charging €150 per session for me or I can take a package offer of €1050 for 9 sessions.

I am going to get upper lip and chin done.

So I one more question for you if you dont mind.

Do you think I should pay for the package or just go every 4 weeks and see how long it takes?

Many thanks in advance

:)

wow thats expensive for such a small area.

the package price is a tricky one - you're really only paying for 7 sessions.

It's hard to tell; some ppl respond really well to the treatment, you may be lucky and not need that many sessions.

Did they do a patch test on you? Get this done before parting with any cash (although I think they charge for it). You are supposed to wait a week after one, to see if there are any adverse reactions. After my patch test the beauty therapist told me to come in the following day!

If it was me I would probably pay per session and hope it wouldnt take too many sessions, but i suppose paying for the whole package kind of ensures the hair will be gone. It's up to you. Good luck with the treatment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Curley

Hi Cinn,

I haven't got the patch done yet.

That is supposed to cost €50 but if I go ahead with the treatment after that I get my €50 back.

I think I will go for the package saving me €350 including the €50 patch back.

And hopefully get rid of the area completely.

Thanks for your help on this one Cinn,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 13_adi_13

hi Curley - how did the ipl work out? successful so far? Also, i've heard of a home-based beautician somewhere on the southside of dublin (Shankill I think, but really not sure!) who's doing this treatment for far less than some of the salons are charging (i heard that she charges €190 per session for full leg, bikin & underarm) - anyone know how to get in touch with her or have any recommendations/advice on where to go or not to go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i got this done on my neck, i,m a man, basically i've curly hair and so when i shave i was getting a hell of a lot of ingrown hairs, anyways, i've had 6 sessions and i rarely get an ingrown hair now(after many many years of torment i might add), hair is not completely gone but its not as thick and is sparse at best, i am happy with it now, i only got lower neck - midway up the neck done as this is where i had the trouble on the more tender skin. Treatment hurts on the neck though, probably because my neck hairs are pretty tough from shaving etc, leaves a red rash that takes about 5 days to be completely gone, well worth it though, heres hoping them hairs don't grow back

Just thought i'd add this for some information etc

Advertisement