Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting crad and borders

Options
  • 10-04-2006 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to frame some things I have. I do have some frames I bought but I want to have boders on them. I Just don't know where to get the card or how to cut at the 45degree angle. can anyone point me in th eright direction? Varying sizes so the standard precut borders are no use.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

you can get mounting card at your local art shop. To get the 45degree angle use a T square or even use your picture frame to mark the angle on the mount. Double check all your measurments before cutting the card as its simple to make a mistake and remember the edges of the picture must sit behind the mount, allow for this when cutting. Use a craft knife or stanley knife for accurate cutting. Hope this helps!

artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I must be a bit dim or something but a T square is not at a 45 degree angle on the blade. Do you just guestimate and have a steady hand while using the T square. I just thought there might be a special trick to it. The card in shops seems excessive Is their a way to buy it cheaper? I have loads to frame.

I really appreciate the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

you could measure the angle with a protractor -very cheap if you don't already have one

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

a protractor is totally accurate and cheap to achieve the 45degree angle cheap mount depends on the size of pictures you are framing. if some are small you could get offcuts (waste) from professional framers just say they are for making prints and they'll give them to you. for large pictures i don't know where to source cheaper mount but i'm sure it is available.
    artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭petek

artieanna wrote:
    a protractor is totally accurate and cheap to achieve the 45degree angle cheap mount depends on the size of pictures you are framing. if some are small you could get offcuts (waste) from professional framers just say they are for making prints and they'll give them to you. for large pictures i don't know where to source cheaper mount but i'm sure it is available.
    artieanna

i think yr all missing the point, the OP wants to cut the edge of the board at at 45 degree angle - that is, the inside edges which meet the picture, if you look at any framed picture with a mounting board you'll see this. its not about the right angle you need to cut the corners, its about beveling the edges.

i vaguely remember seeing this on tv once, but can't really rememeber what they used, there must be a special knife or a tool which will hold your knife at the right angle. i would imagine that if u went into a place like sullivans off camden st or some of the smaller art supply shops they would probably have the tool/be able to tell you about it? it should be fairly simple

• Advertisement
Advertisement