Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid coolant question

Options
  • 10-04-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ive never had to change coolant in any of my cars so now im faced with soemthing I know nothing about. I managed to loose all my coolant by not connecting the hose bak properly the other day(dont ask)anyway, the book says the cooling system capacity is 7.1ltr (its a 93 safrane) so off I went and bought coolant from the motor factors. It was a 1tltr bottle (all they had) My question is, am I supposed to fill the car with 7 ltrs of coolant or dilute it? All the bottle says is , Direction: Pour in cooling system. The manula for the car isnt any clearer. I was tinking (my logic, probably not anyone elses) that 1 ltr coolant + 6 ltrs water, sound about right? or all coolant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

My guess is that if the bottle doesnt mention dilute, then dont dilute if you can help it. You can add water if you like, but you will compromise the antifreeze properties of the mix. Just nip down to another garage and get a 5 litre bottle of antifreeze, or for the time being add water, but drain and refill the system soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

For a 6 litre system I think (been a while) I used 2antifreeze + 4 water or maybe 3+3. Be careful of airlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO you should drain out the stuff you put in and replace with the proper Renault Type D Elf premixed coolant. It is the right chemical composition for the car (unlike some coolants you might find in a motor factors) plus its premixed so you just pour it in and then bleed the system.

You might also find Type D compatible coolant in a motor factors. I know Bardahl make a Type D coolant but am not sure whether it is concentrate or premixed (will say on the bottle) If concentrate, dilute and mix with distilled water in a container and then add the mixture. I think the proper mix would be about 50-50 or 60-40. Certainly, the 1 litre of antifreeze + 6 litres of water that you're contemplating would be much too weak a mixture.

Advertisement