Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points and your insurance

Options
  • 10-04-2006 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

hi all

I have had 4 penalty points since august but never told my insurance company, ive had no accidents (touch wood)

can they cancel my policy or up the premium if I tell them now.

id be gratefull for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I would've thought this would've invalidated your insurance straight away.. so basically if you have an accident now, your up the creek without a paddle..

I've heard most insurance companies will only start penalising you when you get more than 2 penalty points so my advice would be to tell them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

grand thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Id ring em and tell them tbh,If they were utter ****es they could cancell the policy as you failed to fully disclose to them,but more than likely they'l just take note of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Debbio69 wrote:
    hi all

I have had 4 penalty points since august but never told my insurance company, ive had no accidents (touch wood)

I dont think you have to inform them if you get penalty points AFTER making the contract.. e.g. if you took out insurance in July, but you should obviosuly be truthful when filling out an application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

a mate had 2 p-points and was told ,can be from 2- 4 points depending on your road history by insurance company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Read your insurance details. No-one here can tell you what your insurer does and doesn't want. I'm obliged to inform my insurer if/when I get points because the policy booklet says so.

You will find the policy booklet says something along the lines of informing your insurer about anything which may affect your insurance. That is, if I go blind tomorrow, my insurer doesn't have to cover me simply because I wasn't blind when I first made the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Yeah, fess up to them. Insurance contracts are meant to be in good faith, so if you knowingly withhold info, your insurance could be voided. I doubt they'll do much in the way of charging you more. Just keep it clean til your three years are up (i hope?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the best option is tell them that you have points, it might only be a small fee but if you donot tell them and you have an accident they donot have to pay out.so you be at loss just over a few euro.

Advertisement