Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help with Blackberry

• 10-04-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an unlocked blackberry 7290 from ebay. The plan is to use it as a connected organiser. I want to use the PIM features and also be able to get online to download RSS feeds or get access to web pages. I will also have it as a backup phone should I need it.
    I have a RTG vodafone sim card in it and I can call people, send text messages etc.
    However I have tried to open the browser but it tells me there are no settings and it has actually hidden the browser icon. On the home screen it says "data connection refused" but shows the GPRS signal.

I rang customer service and they are not sure if I can get online with a BB and RTG. Does anyone know if this is possible and do you have the settings I need.

I don't intend to go bill pay and have a b'berry plan as I don't want to access my email on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You should be able to use straight forward wap / vodafone live on the device. It may need the settings to be sent to the device - problem is that Blackberries use service books for these settings.

Did you contact the Data Support line (rather than RTG) ? Data Connection Refused is regualrly caused by lack of provisioning on your sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

After getting the run around for a while spoke to a very helpful person in tech support who registered my sim and sent the service book and browser icon to my blackberry. I tried it then and I could get onto vodafone live. About an hour or two later I tried it again to register piconews and also access vodafone live and it said I couldn't access the wap gateway at wap.vodafone.ie

I have tried a few times yesterday and this morning and no luck, any ideas?
    The data connection refused is still showing on my home screen

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You could delete the service books (options > service books) and ask them to resend them ?

www.blackberryforums.com is an excellent resource site - they have a lot of postings regarding users who use their providers BB hubs rather than those of us who use inhouse blackberry servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

you should call 1850 287000...this is the dedicated Data Support number in vodafone...ask for the Blackberry APN to be added to the number....though this might not be possible on a RTG number...data connection refused means that the BB APN is not active on the acount

Spoke with tech services. Unfortunately because of the way the blackberry system is setup it requires a billing number to setup any form of blackberry online access therefore RTG cannot go online with a b'berry. The girl I was speaking to did say that blackberry RTG is currently under test and will be rolled out in the next few weeks.

Sounds interesting! (or she is telling me what I want to hear in order to keep my business

• Advertisement

unfortunately it is the same on o2...bill pay only.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

its not that bad though. On o2,it only costs €20 + VAT and you get unlimited wap.dol.ie access and on Vodafone €25 + VAT and unlimited live.vodafone.com access.

Don't quote me, but I think a data only sim is €12.50 per month + VAT + Blackberry Internet Service on top of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The BB APN is only available to postpaid subscribers on VF and I am not aware of any plans for prepaid BB (doesn't mean it wont happen though! But I'd be amazed it if was any time soon). However you dont need the BB APN for browsing, either the wap or live APN will do fine. Haven't got a clue how to configure the device though as they're a pain in the arse for configuring! I have had mine using the wap APN for browsing though.

its not that bad though. On o2,it only costs €20 + VAT and you get unlimited wap.dol.ie access and on Vodafone €25 + VAT and unlimited live.vodafone.com access.

Don't quote me, but I think a data only sim is €12.50 per month + VAT + Blackberry Internet Service on top of that

Which network is the data only sim available on?
    Will it allow me to access any wap site and send the odd email?
    Is there a limit on the amount of data for that price or do you pay as you use? Hoe much would that be?

Are you sure that will work with blackberry?

with any RTG/Speakeasy sim you can access the wap services however the http traffic is not allowed through the ports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

On VF http traffic is allowed through the wap gateway with RTG... Also there's the ISP APN if direct net access if needed.

Advertisement