Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving From BT to Smart

• 10-04-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Like many other BT customers, I too am having problems with their billing (being overcharged). I've decided to move to Smart as it will be cheaper and should be less stressful. My 6 month contact with BT is as good as up.

Has anyone made this move recently ?

How was it and how long did it take ?

What's the procedure, do you jsut sign up on SMART's site or must you notify BT.

I also understand that they change your phone number, is this correct ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

My girlfriend signed up with Smart a few months back but didn't change from another provider.
    It didn't change her number but her phone was of order for several days. She's had problems picking up the connection wirelessly in the house using her Pc but laptops seems fine.
    The connection has gone for several days at a time at least three times.It can get temperamental occassionally but restarting the router seems to fix it (other than the occassions where connection is lost for several days)
    It's reasonably priced and reasonably reliable but losing your connection for a few days can be fairly annoying.For this reason she is considering changing (though that's where the whole contract thing blocks people)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a new router would be cheaper , the Smart supplied one can freeze ....or else stop using BitTorrent which also helps I hear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

demac wrote:
    What's the procedure, do you jsut sign up on SMART's site or must you notify BT.

I also understand that they change your phone number, is this correct ?
    I haven't done this yet, but am planning on the change. From what I can find out here's what you need to do.

Cancel the BT broadband, and get a cancellation number for them (or broadband cessation number). You'll need this to start your Smart application. If you apply to Smart while there is any broadband still active on your line then Eircom will reject the order and you'll be back to square on. You need to give BT 30 days notice too so it might be an idea to get on this now.

Once you have the cancellation number, I think you can apply to Smart, but make sure they understand that the existing BB is pending a cancellation. Give them your cancellation number from BT. Eircom will need this or they'll just reject the order from Smart.

You might be best asking on the smart forums, support.smart.com I think. Someone there may have been through this.

It is also my understanding that you cannot keep your existing Eircom phone number, but you could transfer this to VOIP with blueface beforehand if you absolutely have to keep it. You may even be able to transfer it to Smart's VOIP service, www.smart076.ie

Hope this helps, also let us know if there were any problems when it's all done. I'd be very interested anyway as I'll probably be doing the same in June/July.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If by any bad luck you have your line rental with BT you have to bring this back to Eircom as well. For Smart to set you r move in motion they need a cancellation number from you current isp and an Eircom account number.

Smart forums:http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My girlfriend signed up with Smart a few months back but didn't change from another provider.
    It didn't change her number but her phone was of order for several days. She's had problems picking up the connection wirelessly in the house using her Pc but laptops seems fine.
    The connection has gone for several days at a time at least three times.It can get temperamental occassionally but restarting the router seems to fix it (other than the occassions where connection is lost for several days)
    It's reasonably priced and reasonably reliable but losing your connection for a few days can be fairly annoying.For this reason she is considering changing (though that's where the whole contract thing blocks people)

Your gf has a number of issues that she should post on the Smart forums about:
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

Connecting wirelessly within the house is not a Smart issue and needs to be solved by herself - if the connection is going for a couple of days at a time then that is an issue for Smart.

The tempermental connection issue may due to dodgy line quality and it not being up to coping with the download speeds. Has she checked the line stats? Has she upgraded the firmware for the router?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, as dub45 says, I think connection dropouts can be caused by continuing to use the old firmware.

I have Smart BB, and don't get many dropouts. I think overall about 2 hours over the past 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Just saw this now - thanks a lot for the adivce guys

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I'd advise you to write to both BT and your bank cancelling your DD with BT. BT billing is so bad there are many examples of payments being taken from accounts well after the customer had left BT and gone elsewhere. Some even advise registering the cancellation letter to BT, I guess better to be safe than sorry.

Advertisement