Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creationism debate

• 10-04-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on the register.
    Tomorrow evening sees a high-profile counter-punch by the Royal Society against creationists. Leading genetics professor Steve Jones will deliver an unambiguous defence of Darwin's theory, “Why Creationism is Wrong and Evolution is Right” at the learned society's London HQ.

Link to article

Link to a webcast of the debate.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Leading genetics professor Steve Jones will deliver an unambiguous
    > defence of Darwin's theory

Jones -- who's a good speaker -- fired off an opening salvo a few days back in the Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml;jsessionid=0LTTG3UE3K3N1QFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/connected/2006/04/04/ecclots04.xml&sSheet=/connected/2006/04/04/ixconnrite.html
    The ID crew, to use Darwin's own phrase, "look at an organic being as a savage looks at a ship, as at something wholly beyond [their] comprehension". The first Hawaiians to cast eyes on Europeans were so astonished by their great vessels that they thought their builders to be gods. The ID argument is just the same. It is the logic of ignorance, idleness and incuriosity: I am very smart, even I do not understand this, so why bother to explain it except by bringing in God (if necessary under an alias)?

Scientists, unlike creationists, do not know everything, but as they learn more, every such claim has been rubbished. Evolution is not mocked but glorified by life's intricacy. ID is a bad idea, but has generated lots of good research, all of which shows how inane it is.
    ...however, I'm sure one rumbling, groaning interminable debate on cretinism over in the christianity forum is enough! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is there actually going to be a debate, or just a lecture?
    i.e. Will there be microphones given to hear creationist rebuttals?

Should be interesting though.

Advertisement