Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamper's wet dream!

Options
  • 10-04-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I arrived in at around 10 today and parked in the car park between robuck and quinn and saw that some cars had decided to start a third row! It was hilarious! My friend and I were thinking "how could we spot the problem here whilst driving around whereas these people park, get out of their car and don't realise they're causing a massive obstruction?!?!"
    Needles to say I came back a few hours later to find the clampers had arrived with around 30 clamps (they needed 2 vans) and having an absolute field day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

They almost ran out of clamps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

good thinking on the part of the clampers, last line totally blocks the middle line in so what do you do? simple, clamp them so no one is going anywhere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

So glad I got parking at Eng today, I'd hate to be blocked in by that utter stupidity. How rude do you have to be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

my friend got clamped and had her laptop stolen

what a bad day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

thats fantastic . I love to see people get their cumupins. The same thing happened to me last week and i had to drive across the grass around the back of the library. Must have looked so crazy to anyone studying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Idiots deserved to be clamped! bet it was a BOP with a golf that started the line. ;)

I get what someone was saying about clamping and then the middles cars can't move. But be stupid to let the third line cars get away with this. And anyway cars in middle wouldn't be able to move regardless of clamps. They'd have to wait for owner of other cars to arrive back anyway.

How did her laptop get stolen Scraggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

actual quote from clamper:

"oh my god, loads of people have parked in the wrong place! i know, i'll clamp them so even when they get back to their cars, they cant move them, meaning that the obstrcuction will remain even longer! I'm a freakin idiot!!"

I bet with that many clamped they kept a guy on scene to declamp.

irlrobins wrote:
    Idiots deserved to be clamped! bet it was a BOP with a golf that started the line. ;)

I get what someone was saying about clamping and then the middles cars can't move. But be stupid to let the third line cars get away with this. And anyway cars in middle wouldn't be able to move regardless of clamps. They'd have to wait for owner of other cars to arrive back anyway.

think towing them would have been the sensible option. I agree they shouldn't get away with it, anyone stupid enough to park there shouldn't be driving in the first place! but by clamping them there all they've done is exacerbate the situation, an obstruction is now an immovable obstruction.

yea but if they didn't clamp, the person in middle would still be stuck until either of the owners of the cars blocking them returns.

If one car is clamped and the clamped owner returns, then prob a slight delay while the clampee pays fine and then clamp is removed.

If other owner arrives first then middle car leaves at same time regardless if the other car is clamped or not.

• Advertisement

Tow 20 cars? The clamping lads said they were taking reg numbers and checking them with the college to try contact the idiot row. The obstruction was always immovable until the person came back anyways, and i'd say one of the clampers will stay around to remove them once they shell out the €80.

Besides, they can move out in the other direction once the people on the other side move. hey, how did they know which line was the third one? couldn't it have been the one on either side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Or their daddy's will..... freakin shower of Whankhers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

clamping is retarded.
    just fine them.
    if i ever found a clamp from a private clamping company on my wheel i'd have it off with a crowbar, boltcutter, circular saw etc

I personally would rather sit in my car and wait for the car the other side to move and see them clamped rather than not, serves them right. Parking in UCD is a nightmare for everyone, nobody else takes it upon themselves to be that grossly stupid and inconsiderate.

failsafe wrote:
    Tow 20 cars? The clamping lads said they were taking reg numbers and checking them with the college to try contact the idiot row.

ok towing 20 cars would be a bit much, and if someone hangs around to declamp them it makes sense. only reason I mentioned it is I ended up stuck one evening out at a dart station, some idiot parked behind me where there was clearly no space thinking he'd be out of there before me (obviously knew my schedule better than me!). Ended up coming to get my car to be greeted by him on the phone to the clampers who just said stay by the car, they'd be out within a few hours. Ended up getting a taxi home and picking the car up the next day :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

There seems to be a lot of retarded parking going on today...
    I'm stuck in UCD cos some idiot locked their bike to mine outside eng :mad:

Harkev wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of retarded parking going on today...
    I'm stuck in UCD cos some idiot locked their bike to mine outside eng :mad:
    I hope you returned the favour and locked yours to his as well! :D

ferdi wrote:
    clamping is retarded.
    just fine them.
    if i ever found a clamp from a private clamping company on my wheel i'd have it off with a crowbar, boltcutter, circular saw etc
    You're still liable for a fine. And why do you think they note your registration and take a pic of the clamping. Most clampers keep a database of cars they clamped but somehow mysteriously vanished with the clamp. Next time they come across you they tow you instead of clamping so as not to risk loss of another clamp. And this results in a higher cost for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Clamping is one of the stupidest things ever...

A car is causing an obstruction -- I know, let's LOCK the car in the place so that it takes longer to clear the obstruction!

Ingenius idea.

They should raise the fine to like €200 or somethin like that. What's it now, like €80? Sure ye lose that runnin for the bus! 200 yippos and most people will continue to obey the parking regulations, only, those who don't won't be made to stay in the offending spot until someone arrives.

Shoulda just keyed the sh*t out of the cars instead, now that I think of it....

• Advertisement

Angry words dave, angry words. My friend got clamped last week and was almost crippled by the €80, so €200 would be a little steep, especially in a college. These guys however, could merit a €200 stupidity fine, when i was walking by at 10 the other half of the car park was empty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm an angry guy ;)

DaveMcG wrote:
    A car is causing an obstruction -- I know, let's LOCK the car in the place so that it takes longer to clear the obstruction!

Most times a car causing an obstruction would be towed rather than clamped. Sometimes to save time, clampers will tow an obstructing car to a street nearby and then clamp it there.

Obviously UCD does not have towing facilities so not an option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

They should get themselves a big crane like the ones on building sites and just swing the offending cars into the lake, no fine, no obstruction:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

the clamp is supposed to act as a deterrant to causing an obstruction so in theory a crane wouldnt be needed. Then again it would be a nice sight to be sitting in a tutorial and seeing your car levatate across campus.

I guess they could charge people the cost (a cost) of moving the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Or their daddy's will..... freakin shower of Whankhers
    What an idiotic thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

^i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

My friends car was blocked it for ages clamping is a stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Looks like the same thing is going to happen today. I just parked there a few minutes and the place is a mess. People havent got a clue. I moved my car cause i was afraid of being clamped. If they even try to clamp me I'll go mad. I felt so bad for all those people stuck in the middle yesterday. Imagine, A whole day of lectures and then you arrive back to see some complete tosser parked making it impossible for you to escape from UCD!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

My friend parked there yday & came back not only to find the 3 row dilema but also thatthe row that he parked in when the car park was virtually empty had been made into said '3rd row'.
    Good thing we skidaddled* pronto!

*I love that word!

Advertisement