Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass (subject to confirmation)

Options
  • 10-04-2006 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

My line never passes the eircom test, possibly because it's a marginal line and I have ADSL already, but for a laugh I just tested it there and I got a new message:

---
    Pass (subject to confirmation)

Your line test result shows that your line may not be suitable for broadband. When you order, it will be on a best effort basis to provide you with service.
    ---

Would this be the mythical Amber Programme in action? Excellent news if that's the case and this semi-pass actually means something other than a fail to Biddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I heard a rumour that they were going to "relaunch" this two weekends ago. Must have done it this weekend. Good news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

after three years my line is doing this funny though my neighbours line is failing still
    must the amber thing they were talking about

well better get on and order before they change their mind

funny when i go to netsource (better line checker) i get

Your Line Is Passing For The Following Netsource Services:
    Origin
    Origin Plus
    Office@Home

test date 20060402

heres hoping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder if the test has been modified a tad ....5km anyone ???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So this amber program. Does it mean:

1) People who are under 5km but they fail their line test, get their line fixed (pair gains removed), lines swapped in exchange etc.

or does it mean:

2) People beyond 5km might be able to get BB, depending on their line quality.

or maybe even a mixture of both above?

shamrougue confirmed its up to 5km (from 4.5km ) in the BB forum. Beyond 5km ........dunno.

seems its a test mod to Db levels not a line repair program .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    shamrougue confirmed its up to 5km (from 4.5km ) in the BB forum. Beyond 5km ........dunno.

seems its a test mod to Db levels not a line repair program .

FFS that is of little benefit, BT can reach much further and actually fix lines, depressing.

bk wrote:
    FFS that is of little benefit.
    actually if you do the oul pi x (r*r) calculation it changes the 'nominal' area covered by an exchange from 64 Square Km to 79 Square Km or over 20% greater geographic coverage for a 10% increase in line length serviced. . Stand by for the bull**** machine y'áll !
    BT can reach much further and actually fix lines, depressing.
    God! they won't do that bk. Sure Comreg won't let them fix lines or provide a Universal Service because it would make Comreg look bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It seems that eircom have increased the line attenuation limit to about 60dB. BT have had a 60 dB line loss limit for 1 Mbit since September 2004. Eircom took their bloody time I say. What happens for those who want a 512 Kbit service?

I have been informed by eircom that the line limit is now indeed 5 km.

BT:UK
    - 1Mbps, under 60dB attenuation
    - 0.5Mbps, BT Wholesale has no specific limit, it will try the line no matter what length.

Will Eircom be doing the latter? Probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well ive ordered broadband so we'll see what happens
    mind you the engineer i know always reckoned i should have no problem so we'll see

heres hoping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It seems that eircom have increased the line attenuation limit to about 60dB.

My line's over 60dB. I think it's something like 64dB from memory, so they've bumped up the threshold a bit. It syncs at a stable 1400/384. On a good day it syncs at 3Mbps but usually gradually goes down to 1400 as the modem encounters noise bursts on the line. Seeing as I get over 1Mbps, you'd think they could push the limit a good bit further to give at least 256Kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

They have definitely increased the threshold of the testing as my main line which has had a consistent fail since day 1 now suddenly passes... Time to drop the extra line methinks..

Advertisement