Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote Gerard Healy for Education

Options
  • 10-04-2006 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Here is my manifesto, if you have any questions you can pm me, (elections Wednesday 26th April):

If I am elected as ITT SU Education Officer I intend to continue the good work carried out by Tommy Kenny, but additionally I intend to implement several changes as well. These changes can be broken down as follows:

• Student Grinds
    Firstly, I intend to set-up a network of student grinds. I will seek volunteers from the student body who would be willing to give grinds. I will keep a list of these students and the subjects that would be willing to teach. Resultantly, if a student wishes to get grinds in a subject, I will assign one of the volunteers to that student. The volunteers will be paid an hourly rate that will be pre agreed upon by the two students.

• Cancellation of Classes
    Secondly, I believe that students should be informed of a cancellation of a class, whenever possible. The college currently under-utilises their web text system and I believe that lecturers should send a group text to their students. It is unfair that students be made to wait for a class that will not take place. This would be fairer on students who have to travel long distances to college, or students who have to study for CAs. If elected, I will push for all lecturers to implement this policy.

• Information
    Thirdly, I believe that students should be given more information about what is happening with their course. I believe that students should be better informed of changes made by the college that affect them. I believe that this information should be made available to the student reps or the SU, who in turn can pass the information on to the students.

• Continual Assessments, (Including Elapsed CAs)
    Fourthly, I believe that students should be guaranteed a minimum of two weeks, (10 working days), notice of a CA. Students should be given this time to prepare their schedule and allow time for preparation. Additionally, I believe that students should not be forced to complete more than two CAs in one week.

• My Policy
    Finally, I believe in an “open door” policy and I will operate this policy if elected to the SU. Additionally, although my role will be that of the Education Officer, I will work for all students in all departments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Nice one Ger,

I am running in Blanch IT, you gave me some ideas.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

most of your policies seem unlikely to be actaully implented..
    web text..ish don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

in defence of gerard here about the texts, some lectures text about ca's due classes cancelled etc in itt. it is the introduction accross the board that is needed and would be great for all students,

go on the ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 piemaster

At least he doesn't has to resourt to crappy promises like getting Bebo unblocked, which will never happen. You have my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

True..
    the whole bebo issue is done and dusted. tis just lack of imagination using it in a presidential campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Fourthly, I believe that students should be guaranteed a minimum of two weeks, (10 working days), notice of a CA. Students should be given this time to prepare their schedule and allow time for preparation. Additionally, I believe that students should not be forced to complete more than two CAs in one week.

id love to see it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Bebo will not be unblocked. It uses more traffic than any other webservice. It is detrimental to the network, not to mention the impact on the availability of machines for course work.

Who ever finds the scumbag who ****es up the toilets everyday should be elected :)

Advertisement