Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Hydra Brakes and Hubs

Options
  • 10-04-2006 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hey, looking for some advice on a good set of hydraulic brakes, rotors and hubs. Preferably looking for hope m4's or the likes or if anyone has any suggestions on anything else or where I can pick up a set of second hand ones. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Shimano Deore 555 or 556. I've had them on my bike for 2 years now and have ridden and raced hard with them. Had to replace the pads a couple of times but the levers, hydros and calipers have all been trouble free. And they're quite cheap too, bought them on chain reaction cycles.

Hubs are Mavic Crosslands... also a fine piece of technology, have had them tuned once in 2 years and they've seen some abuse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Take a look on http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/ as people are often selling bit and pieces here.

As for brakes I'd agree with Johnny Jukebox and go for Shimano, take a look at XT's or Saint. I have both, and find them to be alot better than the Hope set I had before. Hayes are also good.
    My main gripe about M4's is the amount of time they take to bed in, which is alot longer than its counterparts. Also Hope have a lovely tendancy to squeal, squeal like a piggy...

Whatever system you end of buying, look out for an 8" front rotor, especially if its DH you are doing. Mucho stopping power. Just make sure your fork is warranted for a rotor that size. Rotors don't vary alot, so whatever comes with the cailpers and more importantly fits on your hubs will do the job fine.

Best value hubs would be Shimano LX, XT. With a good build they will take tonnes of abuse. I have an LX hub built on a 24" Planet X LMF rim, and its still running true for 3 years.

I hope this helps.

Advertisement