Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

:StabsInFace:

Options
  • 10-04-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to turn off emoticons at all, It has really started to annoy me of late. I tend not to use them because I prefer my actual words to convey what I am feeling and it vexes me that some people think that a little face rolling its eyes at me is a suitably witty or even intelligent reply.

Then there is the super smiley happy face club, this particular herd cant use period key like normal people, oh no, they punctuate with lol Smiley Face, as if this is some sort of totalitarian regime requiring all and sunder to portray an outward sense of well being at all times.

Lets not forget the Sunglasses crowd, that oh so cool clique that is so secure in their superior online presence that their posts need no actual content, just a smiley face with a black pair of shade to hide the fear in their eyes.

Whats even worse is the wink emoticon, if there is a more inappropriate icon I am unaware of it. A wink is a secret gesture of knowledge between two people, to use it in a forum where everybody can see it removes its potency as a symbol and makes the user look a fool.

I'll admit I have used them on occasion but not so excessively as to render their meaning vapid. I have tried to ignore them but it is not working. I know it is possible to turn them off within forums, can there be an option for a user to turn them off locally, or a least an emoticon such as :stabsinface: that will allow me to vent my anger at people who use them?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Advertisement