Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL on a LAN with multiple PC's

• 10-04-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

When the NTL guy setup my broadband last week, everything seemed fine coz i was only connecting with one PC at the time.
    Later on, i tried connecting the other PC's on the LAN and they dont seem to be able to display any pages despite having an IP address and each PC being able to see each other.
    My wireless router is setup to have IP 192.168.100.2, the modem is 192.168.100.1 and the PC's are 192.168.100.3 and 192.168.100.5

192.168.100.3 is working fine but the 192.168.100.5 cant display any pages...

Is there anybody out there that has successfully setup NTL broadband to work on a home network?

I checked their site and it mentions that it is possible but that NAT needs to be used and with that enabled, nothing seems to work, but with it disabled i can connect one PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Any error message?
    Can you view http://82.195.136.250 on the last machine?

You set the Default Gateway and DNS address'..right?
    From the command prompt: ipconfig /all for first machine (working) and last machine (not working). Post the results here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm assuming the setup is
    NTL Modem <
    > Wireless Routers <
    > Multiple PC's
    ?

First things first, ensure that everyone is on the same page. The subnet mask of the router and the computers should be 255.255.255.0
    The default gateway on the two PCs should be 192.168.100.2
    The DNS server on both PCs should be 192.168.100.2

NAT needs to be enabled on the router.

Once you're ensured that this is set up, trying pinging internet addresses from the machine that doesn't work. www.google.com and www.microsoft.com for example. If the machine can ping, but still can't get pages, then you have a DNS issue.
    If you can't ping, then try a tracert (e.g. "tracert www.google.com" from the command line). This will ping each hop in succession to show you where your packets are failing. If the tracert successfully pings your router, but doesn't ping anything after that, you have a routing issue or a modem issue. Reboot your modem, then reboot your router.
    If the tracert can't ping your router even, then it's a setup issue. Check your settings again.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Cheers for the replies lads...

Here's what the pc thats working reads:

DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfig Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.100.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.100.2
    DHCP Server: 192.168.100.2
    DNS Servers: 192.168.100.2

The pc that doesnt work reads:

DHCP Enabled: No
    IP Address: 192.168.100.5
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    IP Address: fe80::211:50ff:fe1d:8b11%16
    Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1
    DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

When i do a tracert www.google.ie on the pc with config as above, it says "unable to resolve target system name"

I had entered the IP info etc. manually into the pc that isnt working, but on changing it to Obtain IP Automatically, things look more like the first config above that is on the working PC, except that it stays on "Aquiring Network Address" indefinitely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Set the Default Gateway (and DNS) on the machine which is not working to 192.168.0.2 (not 192.168.0.1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better yet, enable DHCP on the second machine. Saves all this kind of mucking about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement