Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gti Dsg Gearbox

Options
  • 10-04-2006 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys im hopefully going to buy a o5/06 gti within this year.i just wanted some help on choosing the manual or dsg.could someone give me more info on what dsg is.i want to find out if i get a dsg gearbox does that come with paddle shift gears on the steering wheel.
    hope some one can help as i cannot find info.
    this car i seen on carzone has a dsg gearbox but i cannot see the paddle shift gears and are they available as extras as i cannot even see the option on the price list.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=375757

and the final question is would you think that a gti would be cheaper to import from uk?how much vrt be on the car.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thought you would be more interested in the hand brake?

Anyhow - from one of the first results when I googled "VW GTI DSG":
    he jewel in the new GTI's crown is undoubtedly its Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG). This terrific piece of high-tech kit is probably the most significant development in transmissions since… Well, since trans-missions were first invented. As smooth as most conventional auto-matic transmissions, DSG suffers from none of their performance losses. Basically, it uses two clutches so the next ratio is always pre-selected and ready to engage before you need it — all without the need for a clutch pedal. The result is dazzlingly fast gear changes that can either be fully automatic or manually controlled.

Left to its fully-automatic self, DSG performs faultlessly in both normal and sport modes. Gear changes are near-imperceptible. But if it's fast sequential manual gear changes you want, simply move the selector lever across the gate. Shifts are then made by small push/pull movements: forwards (up changes) and back (down changes). Alternatively you can use the easy-to-reach F1-style shift paddles on the steering wheel. Whichever mode is engaged, the selected gear is always clearly displayed on the driver's information screen sited between the rev-counter and speedometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

eoin_s wrote:

Anyhow - from one of the first results when I googled "VW GTI DSG":

im more interested in the changing of gears than the brakes.that was just a stupid mistake i made and i wonot happen again.:o

anyway so from the artile you found it looks like the gears are on the steering wheel.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

There are paddle shifts behind the steering wheel as standard on all DSG gearboxes, go into a VW dealership and have a look, most of them have a GTI Golf on show all the time

VW_DSG.jpg

ubu wrote:
    There are paddle shifts behind the steering wheel as standard on all DSG gearboxes, go into a VW dealership and have a look, most of them have a GTI Golf on show all the time

VW_DSG.jpg

thanks thats a great pic.i will try make it into a vw dealer to check it out.the main facto of getting the car is getting insurance so i need to call them 1st to get a quote.

the best thing is they can be chipped to over 260bhp.:D

not all dsg cars have a paddle shift heres an example

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=263699

does anyone have any more info on these gearboxes.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    the best thing is they can be chipped to over 260bhp.:D

FWD > 200bhp doesn't really work. Alfa GTAs are the only ones that make a reasonably good job of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

unkel wrote:
    FWD > 200bhp doesn't really work. Alfa GTAs are the only ones that make a reasonably good job of it...
    You obviously didn't watch Top Gear when they reviewed the 147GTA.....it was understeer hell (and torquesteer hell)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

eoin_s wrote:

hahaha :D

fletch wrote:
    You obviously didn't watch Top Gear when they reviewed the 147GTA.....it was understeer hell (and torquesteer hell)

no i didnot watch that edition of top gear.anyway thats a thought for after i buy it.

But still the question is not answered, if the paddle shift gears are standard or optional for dsg gearbox?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

fletch wrote:

If that's the one where they compare the focus ST, golf R32 and 147GTA, did you see the end when clarkson was deciding which one he'd have? He said he'd pick the golf, but on the way to the VW dealership, he'd divert to the Alfa dealership and have the GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ubu wrote:
    There are paddle shifts behind the steering wheel as standard on all DSG gearboxes,

no their aint - its an optional extra :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

alias no.9 wrote:
    If that's the one where they compare the focus ST, golf R32 and 147GTA, did you see the end when clarkson was deciding which one he'd have? He said he'd pick the golf, but on the way to the VW dealership, he'd divert to the Alfa dealership and have the GTA.

But clarkson doesnt have to care about reliability, depreciation, dealer service and his most recent purchase, the ford GT, he does seem to care much about pure handling either.

fletch wrote:

and you were not paying attention fletch :p

was that not Autodelta's red GTA? in a very high state of tune... 3.7 V6 :confused:

But clarkson doesnt have to care about reliability, depreciation, dealer service and his most recent purchase, the ford GT, he does seem to care much about pure handling either.

lads all this has hardly anything to do with a DSG box in a MK V GTi :rolleyes:

ciarsd wrote:
    lads all this has hardly anything to do with a DSG box in a MK V GTi :rolleyes:

I think it says in the sticky that every thread must turn into an Alfa debate.

drdre - the answer is on the http://www.volkswagen.ie site:
    MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL WITH GEAR CHANGE CONTROLS € 525

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:

No didn't see it, but I did use the word reasonably. And if that was an Autodelta as ciarsd said, that would hardly be comparable to the standard GTA. The latter has 250bhp, the Autodelta has 328bhp :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Didn't TG do a group test on the new GTI, Astra VXR and ? The new Focus St was tested on it's own and they did they BMW 130i vs the new R32 (thank the Lord for repeats on UK Living or wherever...).

Jezza loves the Golf, and I'd go for the DSG if I could but Alfa 3.0 GTV awaits

DrDre - aren't you early 20's (not having a go, but insurance would be pricey enough <25), and without dragging up the past if you were convicted of your previous offence won't that absolutley rocket your insurance?

Gatster wrote:
    Didn't TG do a group test on the new GTI, Astra VXR and ? The new Focus St was tested on it's own and they did they BMW 130i vs the new R32 (thank the Lord for repeats on UK Living or wherever...).

Jezza loves the Golf, and I'd go for the DSG if I could but Alfa 3.0 GTV awaits

DrDre - aren't you early 20's (not having a go, but insurance would be pricey enough <25), and without dragging up the past if you were convicted of your previous offence won't that absolutley rocket your insurance?

Yes im 21 and im thinking of getting it when im 22.also for my last conviction nothing has happened so far the date was put forward to 5th october.

eoin_s wrote:

drdre - the answer is on the http://www.volkswagen.ie site:

eoin i was on the website before and i thought this was it but wanot sure.so that means you have to pay 525 for the paddles shift and over 2k for the dsg gearbox.i would have thought it would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

ciarsd wrote:
    and you were not paying attention fletch :p

was that not Autodelta's red GTA? in a very high state of tune... 3.7 V6 :confused:
    I think you will find that it was a stock 3.2 V6 GTA
    vid
    Anyway back on topic

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    eoin i was on the website before and i thought this was it but wanot sure.so that means you have to pay 525 for the paddles shift and over 2k for the dsg gearbox.i would have thought it would be included.

Included for free on a VW?

just got quoted online for 3k for fully comp on a vw golf gti 05 reg.and im only 21.:D .
    so if i call them i should get a better deal.i will call them later and post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

drdre wrote:
    just got quoted online for 3k for fully comp on a vw golf gti 05 reg.and im only 21.:D .
    so if i call them i should get a better deal.i will call them later and post it up.

with who if you don't mind me asking. Interested in this car also

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

(Apologies to the OP for wandering off topic.)
    eoin_s wrote:
    As the celebs might say, I guess it's better to be spoken ill of, than not to be spoken of at all.
    Unkel wrote:
    FWD > 200bhp doesn't really work. Alfa GTAs are the only ones that make a reasonably good job of it.
    I don't see the point (other than bragging rights) of chipping FWD cars to >200bhp in isolation; without complementary upgrades the extra power would probably only be useful in higher gears, and at motorway speeds (fun in itself I appreciate). The Alfa GTAs had extensive suspension/steering/gearbox/clutch/etc. refinements/reinforcements to cope with the extra bhp.
    reviewed the 147GTA.....it was understeer hell (and torquesteer hell)
    Should anyone be interested here's a few GTA links: video of the standard GTA; video of the Autodelta version; Fifth gear video of 156 GTA.
    Alfa softened up the standard 147 GTA to counteract the negative UK reaction to the crashy, B road-unfriendly 156. The higher COG (and, I'm guessing, shorter wheelbase/narrower track?) of the 147 would also mitigate against tidy handling. With the hooligan Clarkson unsympathetically throwing the 147 from side to side, he makes it unfairly look like a clownmobile. One of the UK magazines (Evo I believe) managed a 0-60 run of 5.6s (Autocar managed 5.9s), so it's obviously capable of getting the power down when driven properly. BTW, Clarkson was fulsome in his praise of the Autodelta version of the 147 GTA: see here. An Irish owner of a 3.7L 156 GTA is equally enthusiastic about it.

With decent tyres, uprated springs and dampers, the 156 GTA (and 147) transforms itself from a crashy, somewhat roll-y and nose-heavy handful, into a sharp, well-balanced and focussed sports saloon; a good lsd will take it to another level again. The standard setup is very much a compromise, with a bias towards grand tourer; even so, torque steer and wheel spin in low gears is impressively contained. I believe the inclusion of decent adjustable springs/dampers and an lsd would have drawn a very different reaction from the UK press. No matter anyway, these can be added later according to taste, and at a (relatively) reasonable cost. Personally, given the choice between an Autodelta-fettled 156 GTA and a standard M3, I would take the fwd GTA every time.

By all accounts, the Focus ST, Golf(V) GTI, Honda CTR and Clio 182 seem to have got the fine balance between on-the-limit power and handling spot on (for fwd cars). Fair dues, but I wouldn't swap a 156 GTA for any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Jesus I don't know many 21 year olds who can spend €40,000 on a car.

what the heck has that got to do with it ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

ciarsd wrote:
    what the heck has that got to do with it ?:rolleyes:

Just an observation. Would have loved to be in a position to spend €40k on a GTI when I was 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I must have been doing something wrong. I must be still doing something wrong!:(

L5 wrote:
    with who if you don't mind me asking. Interested in this car also
    i just got the quote online from hibernian.i havenot even done any research and when i do i will get it down to around 2000.as this is the 1st quote i have got.

• Advertisement

im a student but have 1 yr left to go.i work in the family business in the evenings and weekend and have been woring since aorund the age of 15/16 so i have saved up. i have saved up over the past few years from buying and selling stuff.and as you guys might know I LOVE CARS.and my cousins and unlces have great cars so thats where i get my loving for them.eg m5,ferrari f430 etc.;) .give me a few years and i will be getting cars like that.:D

now does that explain your question

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement