Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gti Dsg Gearbox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

drdre wrote:
    im a student but have 1 yr left to go.i work in the family business in the evenings and weekend and have been woring since aorund the age of 15/16 so i have saved up. i have saved up over the past few years from buying and selling stuff.and as you guys might know I LOVE CARS.and my cousins and unlces have great cars so thats where i get my loving for them.eg m5,ferrari f430 etc.;) .give me a few years and i will be getting cars like that.:D

now does that explain your question

Fair deuce, post up some pictures when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i wonot be getting it till end of the year or early next year.i would think early next year as then second hand prices will drop a little bit.

i wonot be getting it till end of the year or early next year.i would think early next year as then second hand prices will drop a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

a mate of mine bought a gti dsg .....he had intentions of buying a manual but test drove the dsg and bought it on the spot. it all depends on what sort of driving experience you want......
    that wasnt a bad insurance quote.....back in the bad old days you wouldnt get insurance on a mini for that at 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

At the start of the MKV GTIs life, the paddles were optional. Now they ARE STANDARD.

The picture above is not from a MKV GTI, I think it's an R so bear in mind things may be slightly different.

You'll do well to get insured on one for a reasonable price, let alone for €2,000 at 21.

I got mine back in Sept 05 and I was 23, even with more than 5 years NCB and now being 24 since I had to renew it, my policy is €1913 fully comp.

Best way to decide between manual and DSG is to drive both. I don't like the idea of the car changing gears for me, I much prefer to do it myself, you may be different.

And just again, not wanting to bring up the past but it's a quick enough car and someone who is willing to do donuts in a brand new car may quite easily kill themselves or somebody else, jumping from a 1.4 to a 2.0T with 200bhp at 21. I'll gladly admit I don't think I had enough sense/skill/maturity at 21 to drive the car I drive now. I did have a MKIV GTI at 21 which I bought myself for my birthday but that car was a different story compared to the new model.

If you go for the car, get out of donut mentality, it will cause you to crash in a car with that amount of power ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Would you consider a Skoda vRS ? Same Engine, car is based on the Golf
    same DSG Gearbox as an option and with the money you save over the Golf, you'd have DSG/Leather/SAT NAV thrown in for free!

But could you live with the badge????????.............

It's a great car and a decent price but I don't see the attraction of a family orientated performance car to a 21 year old TBH.

Big Balls wrote:
    At the start of the MKV GTIs life, the paddles were optional. Now they ARE STANDARD.

The picture above is not from a MKV GTI, I think it's an R so bear in mind things may be slightly different.

You'll do well to get insured on one for a reasonable price, let alone for €2,000 at 21.

I got mine back in Sept 05 and I was 23, even with more than 5 years NCB and now being 24 since I had to renew it, my policy is €1913 fully comp.

Best way to decide between manual and DSG is to drive both. I don't like the idea of the car changing gears for me, I much prefer to do it myself, you may be different.

And just again, not wanting to bring up the past but it's a quick enough car and someone who is willing to do donuts in a brand new car may quite easily kill themselves or somebody else, jumping from a 1.4 to a 2.0T with 200bhp at 21. I'll gladly admit I don't think I had enough sense/skill/maturity at 21 to drive the car I drive now. I did have a MKIV GTI at 21 which I bought myself for my birthday but that car was a different story compared to the new model.

If you go for the car, get out of donut mentality, it will cause you to crash in a car with that amount of power ;)

are you sure the dsg gearbox comes with paddle shifts for free.also i have coped on now from my past experience.i know they are fast but i wonot be doing wheel spins in a new gti.thats for sure.but thanks

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Would you consider a Skoda vRS ? Same Engine, car is based on the Golf
    same DSG Gearbox as an option and with the money you save over the Golf, you'd have DSG/Leather/SAT NAV thrown in for free!

But could you live with the badge????????.............
    nah i wouldnot buy a skoda i donot know why but its not my type.but i would still buy the leather etc in the golf.;)

Well unless Belgard Motors were giving me paddles for free when trying to sell me a new GTI then yes, I am sure !!

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Well unless Belgard Motors were giving me paddles for free when trying to sell me a new GTI then yes, I am sure !!

alright thanks.i also bought my car from belgard.;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Slightly off topic but if you have no other outgoings and a reasonably good job I'm sure the repayments could be afforded. If I didn't have 'other' responsibilities I'd get a late 98-00 911 and be very happy transport wise...

Having not driven a DSG but a few Tiptronic boxed cars I can safely say the option of what is effectively an Auto box is worth it's weight in Gold under certain driving conditions (I am presuming you can do this with the DSG 'box?).

Gatster wrote:
    Slightly off topic but if you have no other outgoings and a reasonably good job I'm sure the repayments could be afforded. If I didn't have 'other' responsibilities I'd get a late 98-00 911 and be very happy transport wise...

Having not driven a DSG but a few Tiptronic boxed cars I can safely say the option of what is effectively an Auto box is worth it's weight in Gold under certain driving conditions (I am presuming you can do this with the DSG 'box?).

i like my new/reasonably new cars.im not mad into the boxters.;) but i do like the new shape boxsters.

Wouldn't get a Boxster, considered them when deciding this time around and really can't see the attraction beyond the badge - £13-14k sterling for a '98 + whatever the VRT is!!! Always wanted a 911 so I'll hopefully be in that position in the next couple of years, a boxtser would be a dis-service to myself!

BMW M3 from UK around 20K sterling for a good 02 or 03 with leather on EBay or Autotrader, or Audi S3 225bhp 1.8T engine with electric leather Recaro seats as standard and Four wheel drive!

Problem with high performance cars is engine size, its a bitch for road tax over 2 litre.:mad:

Mc-BigE wrote:
    BMW M3 from UK around 20K sterling for a good 02 or 03 with leather on EBay or Autotrader, or Audi S3 225bhp 1.8T engine with electric leather Recaro seats as standard and Four wheel drive!

Problem with high performance cars is engine size, its a bitch for road tax over 2 litre.:mad:

i would be interested in a m3 second hand.but when im going to buy a car i will see what else is available in and around the 35-40k mark(inc vrt if need be)

Mc-BigE wrote:
    here's a couple of new shape GTI's on ebay:

wonder how much vrt would be?

i would also love to find out vrt on them.im not too sure of how the vrt system works but i will need to find out soon as i most likely will be buying a car from uk.
    this is exactly what i would like.i love the white colour.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Unregistered-2006-Mk5-Golf-GTi-200-DSG_W0QQitemZ4629862259QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@bmofferall, thanks for the insight into the UK version of the 147 GTA. I presumed the 147 GTA would handle pretty much the same as the 156 GTA. All GTA reviews I've seen are of the 156 GTA and most of these rate that car very highly indeed
    bmoferrall wrote:
    I don't see the point (other than bragging rights) of chipping FWD cars to >200bhp in isolation; without complementary upgrades the extra power would probably only be useful in higher gears, and at motorway speeds (fun in itself I appreciate). The Alfa GTAs had extensive suspension/steering/gearbox/clutch/etc. refinements/reinforcements to cope with the extra bhp

That describes much better what I meant!
    drdre wrote:
    i would be interested in a m3 second hand

Would you do us a favour, drdre, and check with your insurer if you can get a quote on an E46 M3 and let us know? Surely if you can get a quote at all, that would set you back €5k or more unless maybe with this new type of quote based on an excess of €4k per claim

If you could get a quote age 21, that would sicken a good few of us older gents alright :)

There's a 2004 M3 for just under €60k here, which seems a bit of a bargain. 3 owners already though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

drdre wrote:
    i would also love to find out vrt on them.im not too sure of how the vrt system works but i will need to find out soon as i most likely will be buying a car from uk.
    this is exactly what i would like.i love the white colour.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Unregistered-2006-Mk5-Golf-GTi-200-DSG_W0QQitemZ4629862259QQcategoryZ9873QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

VRT calculator here lads

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

seems to be around €8,000

• Advertisement

its still abit cheaper eg 2k.but if you purchase a brand new gti form uk dealer do you get tax exempt or do you hahve to pay the tax there.and what abou the tax here then.
    could anyone do a calculation on a 19k sterling gti for me.what would vrt etc be .
    thanks

drdre wrote:
    alright thanks.i also bought my car from belgard.;) .

I didn't buy mine there.

Fully financed, you'll pay in or around €800 a month for a new GTI over 5 years.

I dread to think what insurance on an M3 would be for a 21 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Including tax, fuel,tires and insurance, u are looking at least at 1100 a month to run that car. if u ask my opinion id say buy a house at least ul have something to show for it in a few years. still cars are fun and u have to weigh that up also.

alot of people get jealous because they dont have a nice car and instead bought a house and drive an old heap of scrap.

£19K=€27,372.57+€8k vrt = €35372.57 (plus flight & ferry cost if you do it in a day) - €8k seems very low (it's €5.3k for an 02 GTV)

EDIT:
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 11 April 2006 TIME: 16:07

STATISTICAL CODE: 40385075
    MAKE: VOLKSWAGEN
    MODEL: GOLF 2.0 (From Jan. 2004)
    VERSION: GTI 200BHP 03DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 20000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JUNE 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €28672
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €8601

Sorry, more OT nonsense:

Even a very late E36 M3 in mint nick with the Vanos done can be had for £10-12 STG in the UK - should be fast enough for anyone. I seriously considered one but don't want to go with that €4k excess (I'd rather stay with Hibernian as I know they're quite good). The one in the pic is £9995 with 69k and FBMWSH.

As much as I love them, the S3 has more unreliability reports than it's main rival for my affections (01 onwards Alfa GTV 3.0/3.2), so the shortlist is down to, er, 1.

Remember that you'll get caught for Irish VAT 21% if the car is less then 6 months old or/and less than 6000km's on the clock (clocks will be MPH in UK)

Not too sure about not having to pay UK vat but better to
    Buy a 6 month old with over 6000Km's and VRT it as a second hand car over here.

P.S. couldn't get the VRT calc. working for 2005 or 2006 GTI, I don’t think its 8000 euro? edited: So it is, Far enough Gatster, i was trying the Auto gearbox pulldown not manual

A new tyre for a GTI cost me €235 last week. They are not a cheap car to run compared to others out there.

Fuel is about €54 every 6 days for me, you'll get about 270 miles out of a tank driving in Dublin.

I reckon excluding tax, depreciation and servicing, my GTI costs about €1,300 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Big Balls wrote:
    I reckon excluding tax, depreciation and servicing, my GTI costs about €1,300 a month.

Are u serious? So with tax, dep an servicing that figure is close to 2000-2300.

Dude you could finance a house purchase with that and shorthen a couple of years of your working life.........

I drive a 12 year old car that i maintain myself so that i dont have to work past 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Big Balls wrote:

Dude you could finance a house purchase with that and shorthen a couple of years of your working life.........

I drive a 12 year old car that i maintain myself so that i can finance some houses so that i dont have to work past 40.

I drive a 12 year old car that i maintain myself so that i can finance some houses so that i dont have to work past 40.

Wait till the property bubble bursts in a year or 2 because of ECB interest rates and Rental incomes dropping off and see how much your houses are worth???:) How many GTI's could you buy with that!:D :D

only joking? 1300 a month is crazy money:eek:

• Advertisement

Well unless I'm taxing and servicing the car every month, no it's not that much.

That's if you take the cost of an annual service and tax and divide it by twelve!

I'm well aware what my car could buy someone but it's not me who is asking about buying one, I have my mortgage etc and I like cars so eh ... ?! I'm more than able to afford it so I don't see the problem??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement