Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gti Dsg Gearbox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I was told the same by VW in Airside that the DSG comes with the Paddles as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

lomb wrote:
    Including tax, fuel,tires and insurance, u are looking at least at 1100 a month to run that car. if u ask my opinion id say buy a house at least ul have something to show for it in a few years. still cars are fun and u have to weigh that up also.

alot of people get jealous because they dont have a nice car and instead bought a house and drive an old heap of scrap.

already have a appartment so donot need another one.all i need is a new car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

drdre wrote:
    already have a appartment so donot need another one.all i need is a new car:D
    well u can trade up to a house then, that or a gti, hard choice:D

Big Balls wrote:
    A new tyre for a GTI cost me €235 last week. They are not a cheap car to run compared to others out there.

Fuel is about €54 every 6 days for me, you'll get about 270 miles out of a tank driving in Dublin.

I reckon excluding tax, depreciation and servicing, my GTI costs about €1,300 a month.
    this does sound expensive but its an amazing car and it looks the ****:D . also my 1.4 costs me over 55 a week so the gti would cost way more for me.
    ubu wrote:
    I was told the same by VW in Airside that the DSG comes with the Paddles as standard.
    this sounds like good news

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

drdre wrote:
    Hi guys im hopefully going to buy a o5/06 gti within this year.i just wanted some help on choosing the manual or dsg.could someone give me more info on what dsg is.i want to find out if
    hope some one can help as i cannot find info.
    this car i seen on carzone has a dsg gearbox but i cannot see the paddle shift gears and are they available as extras as i cannot even see the option on the price list.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=375757

and the final question is would you think that a gti would be cheaper to import from uk?how much vrt be on the car.

thanks in advance
    It probably wont matter to you whether it has paddles or not. I have put up 60k on my 05 octavia and leave it in auto or sports mode 99.9% of the time. This gearbox is so advanced and efficient it does the job better than i could ever hope to.

• Advertisement

It probably wont matter to you whether it has paddles or not. I have put up 60k on my 05 octavia and leave it in auto or sports mode 99.9% of the time. This gearbox is so advanced and efficient it does the job better than i could ever hope to.

i have put 20k on my 05 golf.thats in around 8 months.thats alot.

how did you manage 60k:eek: .this is a hell of alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I drive an octavia 60k in a year. Surely it should be obvious how. here is a clue [ixat] backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

drdre wrote:
    no i didnot watch that edition of top gear.anyway thats a thought for after i buy it.

But still the question is not answered, if the paddle shift gears are standard or optional for dsg gearbox?
    thanks

I bought a new GTI DSG which will be delivered in 2-3 weeks time.

The paddles on the steering wheel are NOW standard with DSG gearboxes, have been since September or November last year according to a dealer I spoke to.

Insurance is only 100squid more than normal !!

mrbungle wrote:
    I bought a new GTI DSG which will be delivered in 2-3 weeks time.

The paddles on the steering wheel are NOW standard with DSG gearboxes, have been since September or November last year according to a dealer I spoke to.

Insurance is only 100squid more than normal !!

you are a star.now this is this best post on the thread.i have thr truth now;) , what other extras did you get.and also any other info would be useful.what exterior colour did you get.i would love to get the candy white.it looks different.did you get the 18" alloys. is air con standard as i heard all german gti's come std with air con
    did you buy it from ireland or uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

drdre wrote:
    you are a star.now this is this best post on the thread.i have thr truth now;) , what other extras did you get.and also any other info would be useful.what exterior colour did you get.i would love to get the candy white.it looks different.did you get the 18" alloys. is air con standard as i heard all german gti's come std with air con
    did you buy it from ireland or uk.

I got it in Black. I used to have a MkV in 2004 for about 8months in Silver and loved it except for the black bumper at the back, so black it is this time.

I also got an arm-rest, really needed in the Golf and cos I've long arms !!

Also got Leather, went for Beige. When I asked the dealer about leather he said you wouldn't notice it, what a pleb !! I reckon for any car that expensive new, you should get leather, it's noticable when it's beige, rather than the dark blue, I think, both cool.

The air con is not std unfortunately, 2k for that. I was gonna ring and change my order to 18"s, but decided not too, still between 2 minds. Too late now though, car was built Monday !!
    The 18"s look a bit flatter at the edge of the rims at the rubber, looks like they'd get curbed easily, not that I'd be practicing that !!

Something about the 18"s are a bit squared compared to the 17"s, almost as if the alloy is flush with the rubber. Might be the tyre, but I'm F-ed if I have to pay 1000-1200 for a different profile tyres that look better after delivery.

I got a lot of noise from my last 17"s on my previous MkV, so I'll stick with that size !!

Bought in Ireland !! As for the candy white, I like it, the GTI pulls it off but I reckon if you get white, you'd need 18"s or BBS 19"s so as not to be passed off as a Jap import from a distance !!

The MFSW, Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel (with Paddles) is €525, from what I saw in a showroom a while ago the wheel has buttons to answer your phone, change channels and volume on the radio, thats it. Paddles behind the wheel. This was the old option to get the paddles.

My advice would be to buy in Ireland if buying new, cos if the car goes t!ts up then at least you have a dealer to blaim rather than a point of contact in the UK or the web.

2nd hand you might get lucky, I saw a red GTI for sale on cbg.ie a few months ago for ~29000 and sold for ~28000, someone had posted on it. Might have sold for less, can't remember.

Also, if you want certain spec and your ordering new, you might have to wait 2-3 months for delivery !!

There was some bullsh!t going around that the DSG gearbox was in short supply but this is old news. Annesley in Dublin 3 said they couldn't guarantee when they could get a DSG for me, in Feb he said he had ordered a DSG in Nov 05 and still no sign of it !

McAllisters in Swords told me that there was no problems ordering them. Eventually the garage I bought from, said there was no problem either getting the DSG.

Still the waiting is killing me !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lomb wrote:
    alot of people get jealous because they dont have a nice car and instead bought a house and drive an old heap of scrap.

With the greatest of respect, nobody who bought a house instead of a car is jealous. They're laughing all the way to the bank!

Anan1 wrote:
    With the greatest of respect, nobody who bought a house instead of a car is jealous. They're laughing all the way to the bank!

i donot mind who is jealous as i have a nice appartment and a nice car.:p

mrbungle wrote:
    I got it in Black. I used to have a MkV in 2004 for about 8months in Silver and loved it except for the black bumper at the back, so black it is this time.

I also got an arm-rest, really needed in the Golf and cos I've long arms !!

Also got Leather, went for Beige. When I asked the dealer about leather he said you wouldn't notice it, what a pleb !! I reckon for any car that expensive new, you should get leather, it's noticable when it's beige, rather than the dark blue, I think, both cool.

The air con is not std unfortunately, 2k for that. I was gonna ring and change my order to 18"s, but decided not too, still between 2 minds. Too late now though, car was built Monday !!
    The 18"s look a bit flatter at the edge of the rims at the rubber, looks like they'd get curbed easily, not that I'd be practicing that !!

Something about the 18"s are a bit squared compared to the 17"s, almost as if the alloy is flush with the rubber. Might be the tyre, but I'm F-ed if I have to pay 1000-1200 for a different profile tyres that look better after delivery.

I got a lot of noise from my last 17"s on my previous MkV, so I'll stick with that size !!

Bought in Ireland !! As for the candy white, I like it, the GTI pulls it off but I reckon if you get white, you'd need 18"s or BBS 19"s so as not to be passed off as a Jap import from a distance !!

The MFSW, Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel (with Paddles) is €525, from what I saw in a showroom a while ago the wheel has buttons to answer your phone, change channels and volume on the radio, thats it. Paddles behind the wheel. This was the old option to get the paddles.

My advice would be to buy in Ireland if buying new, cos if the car goes t!ts up then at least you have a dealer to blaim rather than a point of contact in the UK or the web.

2nd hand you might get lucky, I saw a red GTI for sale on cbg.ie a few months ago for ~29000 and sold for ~28000, someone had posted on it. Might have sold for less, can't remember.

Also, if you want certain spec and your ordering new, you might have to wait 2-3 months for delivery !!

There was some bullsh!t going around that the DSG gearbox was in short supply but this is old news. Annesley in Dublin 3 said they couldn't guarantee when they could get a DSG for me, in Feb he said he had ordered a DSG in Nov 05 and still no sign of it !

McAllisters in Swords told me that there was no problems ordering them. Eventually the garage I bought from, said there was no problem either getting the DSG.

Still the waiting is killing me !!

i would not choose beige leather ever agian.i would get the black as beige is hard to keep nice and clean.but i will get the 18" alloys and also the dsg if the paddle shift gears come with (which i think do).i would love to get the candy white or the free blue.that looks beautiful .black is kind of normal and theres load of red ones around.

19k for a gti.that must of be fraud or something really would you believe that.or vrt had to be paid on it.

drdre wrote:
    i donot mind who is jealous as i have a nice appartment and a nice car.:p

If you can afford to drive a nice car then maybe you haven't bought enough property.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Anan, there isn't the great gains in property anymore that you keep raving on about. How many houses does a person need? What's the point in having all these properties and driving around in a 1990 Ford Fiesta??

Dre, you are still doubting everyone on here who has told you that the paddles are standard, will you just ring VW and ask them. :rolleyes:

I think the 18s are a must on the GTI, 17s will be just as easy to kerb. You can either park or you can't! ;-)

Not so sure leather is a must have option to be honest, the retro cloth is pretty nice, you'll see very little of your €2,400 which you spent on leather seats when it comes to trading in time. Not too sure cream roof lining is the way to go in the GTI either TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

drdre wrote:
    i would not choose beige leather ever agian.i would get the black as beige is hard to keep nice and clean.but i will get the 18" alloys and also the dsg if the paddle shift gears come with (which i think do).i would love to get the candy white or the free blue.that looks beautiful .black is kind of normal and theres load of red ones around.

19k for a gti.that must of be fraud or something really would you believe that.or vrt had to be paid on it.
    I got mine in March. I had to wait nearly 5mnths for mine, but it was well worth the wait. I got0 18" wheels, as the 17" just did not look right on the colour I got (i went for urban grey) and the 18" wheels have a grey insert inthem. I also tried out the manual v dsg. Without a doubt the DSG is the only gearbox to go for in this car. In full automatic, it is an actual pleasure to drive.

If you want to drive it a bit harder, just slot the gear stick over into tiptronic and away you go. The DSG came standard with the padels on the steering wheel. TBH they are a bit of a gimmick. I don't really see that I would get much use out if them, although they make for a talking point when others get into the car. I also went for the Antricite leather, which comes standard with heated front seats, nice on those cold winter/spring mornings :D .

I looked at a number of "hot hatches" while deciding on which to purchase, and for me, the Golf came out on top in terms of handling, delivery of power and ride comfort. I could not reccomend it highly enough.

The whole pakage cost me €41.5k, again I fell it was money well spent, when considering the second hand value in 3 years versus something like, say and Alfa. Insurance was on €620 Fully Comp, then again I might have a couple of years on you guys. :D

drdre, if you are interested, I could post up a couple of pics and show you the 18" wheels and DSG paddles etc... Let me know.

Hobart wrote:
    The whole pakage cost me €41.5k, again I fell it was money well spent, when considering the second hand value in 3 years versus something like, say and Alfa.

Just bear in mind that your car is worth probably €34990 now. I've been that soldier. Specced a car to €43,000, the list was €35,000 and I sold it 17 months later for €34,000.

Big Balls wrote:
    Just bear in mind that your car is worth probably €34990 now. I've been that soldier. Specced a car to €43,000, the list was €35,000 and I sold it 17 months later for €34,000.
    The car is just over a month old, so I don't think it has dropped all that much tbh. Again, the current value is not really a concern to me, although it will be in 2-3 years when I go to buy again.

I not overly concerned about the depreciation on cars at all, I take it as a fact of life like tax, death etc... I was just highlighting the fact that, as a rule of thumb, VW's *tend* to hold their values a bit better long term, then a lot of other cars in the same class.

Big Balls wrote:
    Anan, there isn't the great gains in property anymore that you keep raving on about. How many houses does a person need? What's the point in having all these properties and driving around in a 1990 Ford Fiesta??

Let's imagine that I had splashed out €40k on a new car 3 years ago, paying €800/month over 5 years. My other option would have been to have borrowed €400,000 for an expensive 2 bed apartment in say Blackrock. The repayments on €400k would now be €1,800, less rental income of €1,200. Total cost of the apartment, including insurance, service charges etc would be roughly the same as the cost of the car, ie €800/month. The apartment, however, would have risen in value by €120,000 plus. It would therefore have cost me €120k to drive a €40k car for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Anan1 wrote:
    Let's imagine that I had splashed out €40k on a new car 3 years ago, paying €800/month over 5 years. My other option would have been to have borrowed €400,000 for an expensive 2 bed apartment in say Blackrock. The repayments on €400k would now be €1,800, less rental income of €1,200. Total cost of the apartment, including insurance, service charges etc would be roughly the same as the cost of the car, ie €800/month. The apartment, however, would have risen in value by €120,000 plus. It would therefore have cost me €120k to drive a €40k car for 3 years.

ah. but your missing the point Alan1 , you cant drive an apartment!:D :D

• Advertisement

Mc-BigE wrote:
    ah. but your missing the point Alan1 , you cant drive an apartment!:D :D
    No, but it sure improves the view from a 12 year old Mercedes;)

As you say Anan, if you'd bought your apartment 4 years ago yeh you'd be laughing, this guy is talking about now.

Hobart, I beg to differ on what the resale on the GTI would be worth, mine is a Sept 05, it cost me €37,000 then and it's worth €32,000 now - as you say, that's life, that's depreciation. People don't pay additional money for a used car because it has leather, they will realise they can have a brand new one for less. That's just the way it works.

The best trade in I ever got was a MKIV GTI, I paid €27,000 for it and sold it a year later for €24,000.

Big Balls wrote:
    As you say Anan, if you'd bought your apartment 4 years ago yeh you'd be laughing, this guy is talking about now.

People have been saying the exact same thing for 7+ years now, and the market is still rising strongly. In any case, there's still property abroad. A friend of mine just bought a 140sqm apartment in a period building in an excellent part of Budapest for €120k. I'm not telling anyone not to buy a new car, I'm just pointing out the real cost involved. For me at least, it's no contest.

Big Balls wrote:
    Hobart, I beg to differ on what the resale on the GTI would be worth, mine is a Sept 05, it cost me €37,000 then and it's worth €32,000 now - as you say, that's life, that's depreciation. People don't pay additional money for a used car because it has leather, they will realise they can have a brand new one for less. That's just the way it works.

The best trade in I ever got was a MKIV GTI, I paid €27,000 for it and sold it a year later for €24,000.
    I don't really know where your going with this Big Balls tbh.

IMO a 1 month old car does not drop over 15% of it's value. If you have a better "inside" knowledge on this, grand.

As for your theory on new cars versus top of the range second hand one's, if that was the case we would all be driving Lada's or whatever the equivelant is today.

Anyhow, Ive clearly stated that the "current" market value of the car is of no concern to me. The resale value of it will be. I can 100% guarantee you that I will get more for my car because of the DSG, leather, etc.. than I would for the same car without. But only when I decide to sell it . Which is not now, will not be this time next year, but maybe 2008.

Hobart wrote:
    I don't really know where your going with this Big Balls tbh.

IMO a 1 month old car does not drop over 15% of it's value. If you have a better "inside" knowledge on this, grand.

You're basing that price on what you paid for the car. That's not what a garage will do, that's all I'm saying. You made out earlier that you car would not drop a huge amount in the first month, I'm just telling you from experience that it's not the case. If you don't believe me, go and ring a VW garage and ask them what they'll give you against another GTI with yours as a trade!!

I'm not talking about years down the line where you might get something for it having DSG and maybe 300 quid extra as it has leather.

You said "As for your theory on new cars versus top of the range second hand one's, if that was the case we would all be driving Lada's or whatever the equivelant is today." Well then why can you find plenty of high specced used GTIs for sale for bargain prices on CBG?

The first poster is looking for advice on buying one, I'm telling him (and using you as an example) that if he goes mad on extras, particularly if a lot of the car is financed, he will lose his bollocks on it.

Anan1 wrote:
    People have been saying the exact same thing for 7+ years now, and the market is still rising strongly. In any case, there's still property abroad. A friend of mine just bought a 140sqm apartment in a period building in an excellent part of Budapest for €120k. I'm not telling anyone not to buy a new car, I'm just pointing out the real cost involved. For me at least, it's no contest.
    Property investment requires a number of different factors for it to be right. It's not just a case of I have x and I'm going to buy an appartment with it.

Anybody with a brain can see that the property market in Ireland has been going very well over the last 8-10 years. However that is not to say that it wil always be so. with the sounds form the ECB, and interest rates likely to climb another .5% in the next 6mnths, the property market wil be squeezed. As natural facet of this squeezing is the fact that house price rises will start to steady off and the market will level itself.

Your analagy about buying a property versus buying a car is over simplistic, and a bit misleading in places. Firstly, you ignore the tax implications on investment properties, both frm a PAYE, Capital Gains and stamp duty perspective. Secondly you assume a bank will lend somebody the funds to speculate on the basis that they have 10%, when most banks will (at most) lend a specualtor 85%. Thirdly you assume that we live in a world of 100% rented property. Most banks these days, will insist on you having at least 3-6 months rental income on reserve, before they will accept you as an investor. Fourthly, you assume property prices will continue to rise, a dangerous one. I lived through the era of boom V bust and negative equity in the UK. The reality of this versus your analagy is quite different. Fifthly there are a set number of countries that the Irish banks will alllow you to invest in. France and the UK being 2 I know of. Trying to buy property elsewhere is nigh-on impossible, and I have done it.

Finally, people who drive cars, love cars. There is nothing like the feeling of picking up your new car for the first time. It's indulgent, yes, and it will depreciate, but most true motorists don't care. TBH, if they did they would all take thier 20,30 or 40K and stick it into guaranteed government bonds.

How's about we get back on subject now?

Big Balls wrote:
    You're basing that price on what you paid for the car. That's not what a garage will do, that's all I'm saying. You made out earlier that you car would not drop a huge amount in the first month, I'm just telling you from experience that it's not the case. If you don't believe me, go and ring a VW garage and ask them what they'll give you against another GTI with yours as a trade!!

I'm not talking about years down the line where you might get something for it having DSG and maybe 300 quid extra as it has leather.

You said "As for your theory on new cars versus top of the range second hand one's, if that was the case we would all be driving Lada's or whatever the equivelant is today." Well then why can you find plenty of high specced used GTIs for sale for bargain prices on CBG?

The first poster is looking for advice on buying one, I'm telling him (and using you as an example) that if he goes mad on extras, particularly if a lot of the car is financed, he will lose his bollocks on it.
    I'm not actually. I'm pricing the car on it's current market value. Tell you what Big Balls, you link me to a 06 Golf Gti 5 door with DSG gearbox,upgraded 18" alloys, leather interior (including heated seats), Central arm rest, alarm and metalic paint and 2K of mileage for €34.9k and that will clear up any ambiguity. Cause I can't seem to find 1 on cbg tbh.

Hobart wrote:
    I'm not actually. I'm pricing the car on it's current market value. Tell you what Big Balls, you link me to a 06 Golf Gti 5 door with DSG gearbox,upgraded 18" alloys, leather interior (including heated seats), Central arm rest, alarm and metalic paint and 2K of mileage for €34.9k and that will clear up any ambiguity. Cause I can't seem to find 1 on cbg tbh.

Says who? Based on what? Where? What guide?

A fool and their money springs to mind..

So if your car is so unique, why has my car, with nearly the same extras as you plus a better alarm dropped over €5,000? If mine has dropped that much, you can go more again.

If you still don't get it, I suggest you have a chat with a car salesman.

Hobart wrote:
    Property investment requires a number of different factors for it to be right. It's not just a case of I have x and I'm going to buy an appartment with it.

Anybody with a brain can see that the property market in Ireland has been going very well over the last 8-10 years. However that is not to say that it wil always be so. with the sounds form the ECB, and interest rates likely to climb another .5% in the next 6mnths, the property market wil be squeezed. As natural facet of this squeezing is the fact that house price rises will start to steady off and the market will level itself.

Your analagy about buying a property versus buying a car is over simplistic, and a bit misleading in places. Firstly, you ignore the tax implications on investment properties, both frm a PAYE, Capital Gains and stamp duty perspective. Secondly you assume a bank will lend somebody the funds to speculate on the basis that they have 10%, when most banks will (at most) lend a specualtor 85%. Thirdly you assume that we live in a world of 100% rented property. Most banks these days, will insist on you having at least 3-6 months rental income on reserve, before they will accept you as an investor. Fourthly, you assume property prices will continue to rise, a dangerous one. I lived through the era of boom V bust and negative equity in the UK. The reality of this versus your analagy is quite different. Fifthly there are a set number of countries that the Irish banks will alllow you to invest in. France and the UK being 2 I know of. Trying to buy property elsewhere is nigh-on impossible, and I have done it.

Finally, people who drive cars, love cars. There is nothing like the feeling of picking up your new car for the first time. It's indulgent, yes, and it will depreciate, but most true motorists don't care. TBH, if they did they would all take thier 20,30 or 40K and stick it into guaranteed government bonds.

How's about we get back on subject now?

Time will tell, I suppose. In the meantime, I know where my spare money is going.;)

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    A fool and their money springs to mind..

So if your car is so unique, why has my car, with nearly the same extras as you plus a better alarm dropped over €5,000? If mine has dropped that much, you can go more again.

If you still don't get it, I suggest you have a chat with a car salesman.
    Now your just being facetious. I never claimed that my car was "unique", and i never mentioned my alarm (or phatnoise for that matter). Link me to these bargain priced cars on cbg or carzone, and it will clear it up, won't it?

Secondly, I have no interest in speaking to any car salesman, I thought I made this clear.

You seem to have a purpose in life to try and convince me that my car has dropped 15% in a month of it's life.

I had the temerity to disagree with you.

It's simple to clear up Big Balls, show me these 1 month old GTi's with etc... on CBG for less than 35K or on Carzone etc.. and that will clear it up. Simply put, I'm asking you to put up or shut up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement