Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gti Dsg Gearbox

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Anan1 wrote:
    Time will tell, I suppose. In the meantime, I know where my spare money is going.;)
    Well good luck with it mate!! Enjoy your retirement :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Steady on lads! It's only a car at the end of the Day (ill probably be shot for saying that:)

I friend of mind traded in his 05 GTI with DSG and pickup up his new manual GTI with leather this week (a few months waiting)

he didn't like the DSG and said it took the fun out of driving it!
    and he said he got a very good trade in value, his 05 GTI was sold by the dealers before he drove it in to collect his new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Hobart wrote:
    Now your just being facetious. I never claimed that my car was "unique", and i never mentioned my alarm (or phatnoise for that matter). Link me to these bargain priced cars on cbg or carzone, and it will clear it up, won't it?

Secondly, I have no interest in speaking to any car salesman, I thought I made this clear.

You seem to have a purpose in life to try and convince me that my car has dropped 15% in a month of it's life.

I had the temerity to disagree with you.

It's simple to clear up Big Balls, show me these 1 month old GTi's with etc... on CBG for less than 35K or on Carzone etc.. and that will clear it up. Simply put, I'm asking you to put up or shut up.

1) I never mentioned 15%, you did. I gave a pretty good estimate on a trade in price.

2) There aren't any 1 month old cars on CBG as people don't trade cars that quickly - the reason being the price I gave you!!! However, slightly older GTIs DO go for similar huge drops in money. A mate of mine bought a used 05 GTI 3 months ago. The car was only a few months old and it had every single extra you could tick. The car cost the owner €54,000 and my mate bought for €40,000 from Motorvation. That's €14,000 for you to have a little think over.

You asked me to give you an example, there you go.

If you're trying to dispute the way car deals are done day in, day out - good luck with it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Big Balls wrote:
    1) I never mentioned 15%, you did. I gave a pretty good estimate on a trade in price.

2) There aren't any 1 month old cars on CBG as people don't trade cars that quickly - the reason being the price I gave you!!! However, slightly older GTIs DO go for similar huge drops in money. A mate of mine bought a used 05 GTI 3 months ago. The car was only a few months old and it had every single extra you could tick. The car cost the owner €54,000 and my mate bought for €40,000 from Motorvation. That's €14,000 for you to have a little think over.

You asked me to give you an example, there you go

If you're trying to dispute the way car deals are done day in, day out - good luck with it. :rolleyes:

you must be joking.you cannot get a gti with spec like leather, dsg for 34 grand.they are all over 37k on carzone.if you can get a good spec one for 35 or you are selling your car then get back to me.i would be interested.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

drdre wrote:
    you must be joking.you cannot get a gti with spec like leather, dsg for 34 grand.they are all over 37k on carzone.if you can get a good spec one for 35 or you are selling your car then get back to me.i would be interested.:rolleyes:

heres one drdre, wrong colors for you but under 35k

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=359601

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:

From your response to me
    Big Balls wrote:
    Just bear in mind that your car is worth probably €34990 now

41,500 - 34990 = 6510

6510 as a percentage of 41500 is 15.87% .

I rounded it down for your benifit, so 16% or 15% it is. You quoted from my post where I gave the age, spec and price of the car.

2) There aren't any 1 month old cars on CBG as people don't trade cars that quickly - the reason being the price I gave you!!! However, slightly older GTIs DO go for similar huge drops in money.
    Here's a couple from Carzone for your perusal :

Gti, 1 owner, DSG €39,500

Gti, 1 owner , DSG, no leather €37,000

Look's as if some people do actually trade in after a short period of time. I have yet to see anything resembling my spec go for anything close to what you have suggested,
    A mate of mine bought a used 05 GTI 3 months ago. The car was only a few months old and it had every single extra you could tick. The car cost the owner €54,000 and my mate bought for €40,000 from Motorvation. That's €14,000 for you to have a little think over.

You asked me to give you an example, there you go.

Sounds like your "mate" was sold a story tbh. i cannot think of any scenario where a Golf GTI would cost €54,000 new. The VW.ie site, which allows you to build your own, only has GTI's upto the value of €42k. I think it was you who said a fool and his money, wasn't it?
    Mc-BigE wrote:
    heres one drdre, wrong colors for you but under 35k
    That's a 05 car.There are 06 models there aswell, but none for the price yer man quoted.

Hobart wrote:
    From your response to me

41,500 - 34990 = 6510

6510 as a percentage of 41500 is 15.87% .

I rounded it down for your benifit, so 16% or 15% it is. You quoted from my post where I gave the age, spec and price of the car.

Here's a couple from Carzone for your perusal :

Gti, 1 owner, DSG €39,500

Gti, 1 owner , DSG, no leather €37,000

Look's as if some people do actually trade in after a short period of time. I have yet to see anything resembling my spec go for anything close to what you have suggested,

Sounds like your "mate" was sold a story tbh. i cannot think of any scenario where a Golf GTI would cost €54,000 new. The VW.ie site, which allows you to build your own, only has GTI's upto the value of €42k. I think it was you who said a fool and his money, wasn't it?

That's a 05 car.There are 06 models there aswell, but none for the price yer man quoted.

So, you go and pull a few of the most expensive ASKING PRICE GTIs off CBG or wherever and that's it then is it? If I was 2 or 3 grand out, that's still AT LEAST €5,000 that you've lost in a month.

You're so bloody ignorant!!!!!!

Have you heard of Sat Nav? Xenons? Parking sensors? You can go a LOT more than €42,000.

I'm not prepared to argue with someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.

What sort of an idiot thinks I made up "a mate" who bought the fooking car. You're unable to even accept that you can pay that much for a GTI now.. you're some can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Balls wrote:
    So, you go and pull a few of the most expensive ASKING PRICE GTIs off CBG or wherever and that's it then is it? If I was 2 or 3 grand out, that's still AT LEAST €5,000 that you've lost in a month.

Have you heard of Sat Nav? Xenons? Parking sensors? You can go a LOT more than €42,000.

I'm not prepared to argue with someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about.

What sort of an idiot thinks I made up "a mate" who bought the fooking car. You're unable to even accept that you can pay that much for a GTI now.. you're some can.

Would you ever consider changing your name to Big Mouth?

Anan1 wrote:

Why? Cause I buy a new car every year and have experience at it?

Big Balls wrote:

Ahh.. got in just after the edit. Stick by your words, badly written as they are.

Listen you can rant and rave all you want. You dipped your toe into a discussion, quoting wild innacurate "stats" and trying to force something down my throat, that i was unwilling to accept.

I have shown you proof that your figures are wrong, and you react like a child without his soother, calling people names etc... Google wood +trees +old sayings, and you will get some clarity on the position you find yourself in.

You further compund your own "rock V hard place" issues with the quoting of some "mate" who spent €40,000 on a €54,000 gold plated GTi. Despite the fact that not 10 minutes before you were telling me that "they will realise they can have a brand new one for less" than the price of a new one, forgot that didn't you??

You then completly ignore what is glaring you straight in the face, the fact that what you said is Da..da....da...=> WRONG. "No", I hear you cry, "I can't be wrong, my manhood demands that I am always right.". I asked you for the linkage/facts, "people don't sell cars after a month" you said, I linked you to cars that were a month old, "I was 2 or 3 grand out you say". Good I say.

Here's a tip for you, just grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Now, that's funny :D.

Hobart wrote:
    Ahh.. got in just after the edit. Stick by your words, badly written as they are.

Listen you can rant and rave all you want. You dipped your toe into a discussion, quoting wild innacurate "stats" and trying to force something down my throat, that i was unwilling to accept.

I have shown you proof that your figures are wrong, and you react like a child without his soother, calling people names etc... Google wood +trees +old sayings, and you will get some clarity on the position you find yourself in.

You further compund your own "rock V hard place" issues with the quoting of some "mate" who spent €40,000 on a €54,000 gold plated GTi. Despite the fact that not 10 minutes before you were telling me that "they will realise they can have a brand new one for less" than the price of a new one, forgot that didn't you??

You then completly ignore what is glaring you straight in the face, the fact that what you said is Da..da....da...=> WRONG. "No", I hear you cry, "I can't be wrong, my manhood demands that I am always right.". I asked you for the linkage/facts, "people don't sell cars after a month" you said, I linked you to cars that were a month old, "I was 2 or 3 grand out you say". Good I say.

Here's a tip for you, just grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child.

Badly written? ha! That's pretty funny.. by the way, check your spelling, it's dreadful.

Why can't I say people won't give you crazy prices for a used GTI when you can buy one for less even if I said a mate had done that? Does his car have a lot more extras that justified the price? Yes. Was it my money? No.

Stop twisting comments to try and make yourself look intelligent - you showed your true colours when you claimed you could sell your car tomorrow and get back what you paid for it.

Big Balls wrote:
    Badly written? ha! That's pretty funny.. by the way, check your spelling, it's dreadful.
    It was an observation, not a comparative analysis. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Why can't I say people won't give you crazy prices for a used GTI when you can buy one for less even if I said a mate had done that? Does his car have a lot more extras that justified the price? Yes. Was it my money? No.
    You can say whatever you like, I just pointing out the irony of what you say. I also commented on the manner in which you said things, you can choose to ignore that if you like.
    Stop twisting comments to try and make yourself look intelligent - you showed your true colours when you claimed you could sell your car tomorrow and get back what you paid for it.
    Stop panicing. Seriously. It's affecting the brain to hand co-ordination. Two minutes ago you said you where finished discussing this with me, now you are back here doing exactly what you said you would not do.

Your'e also lying, blatantly. I never claimed what you said I claimed above, in fact, I said that I would have no interest in selling my car. Show me where I said that?

Now, for the second time, put up or shut up, please, you are coming across as a complete fool at this point. I have no argument with you, none.

Hobart wrote:
    Now, for the second time, put up or shut up, please, you are coming across as a complete fool at this point. I have no argument with you, none.

You can make whatever judgements you like from behind a keyboard but I can assure you, knowing how not to lose your arse on a car does not come across as foolish thinking to me.

I'm blatantly lying am I? Would you listen to yourself. :confused:

Big Balls wrote:
    You can make whatever judgements you like from behind a keyboard but I can assure you, knowing how not to lose your arse on a car does not come across as foolish thinking to me.

I'm blatantly lying am I? Would you listen to yourself. :confused:
    You are lying and now your getting confused.I'll clarify it for you with one simple question:

Show me where I "claimed you could sell your car tomorrow and get back what you paid for it."?

If I claimed that, then I have done you a dis-service, by calling you a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Anan1 wrote:
    Let's imagine that I had splashed out €40k on a new car 3 years ago, paying €800/month over 5 years. My other option would have been to have borrowed €400,000 for an expensive 2 bed apartment in say Blackrock. The repayments on €400k would now be €1,800, less rental income of €1,200. Total cost of the apartment, including insurance, service charges etc would be roughly the same as the cost of the car, ie €800/month. The apartment, however, would have risen in value by €120,000 plus. It would therefore have cost me €120k to drive a €40k car for 3 years.

....and if you already have a house ?? Then you buy yourself a nice car !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Lads are we not going a bit off topic here! I was interested in finding out about the DSG gear box but find this thread has turned into a soap opera of mellow dramatics!!

Can we get back to the matter a bit?

Just to add to the post, I had a go of a M3 with an SMG gearbox last night and fell in love with it. Very very responsive whatever mode it's in. I did prefer the paddles though! I presume the DSG is very similar?

Although I'm not in the league for an M3, with the impending SSIA, I may need to get my hands on a GTI! ;)

mrbungle wrote:
    ....and if you already have a house ?? Then you buy yourself a nice car !!

No, you buy another house! Only when you've arrived at the point where you really don't need any more money do you start frittering it away on €40k cars.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right enough is enough leave the Alpha male sh1te outside. Anymore Off Topic posts will lead to a BAN.

Mike.

Anan1 wrote:
    No, you buy another house! Only when you've arrived at the point where you really don't need any more money do you start frittering it away on €40k cars.:)

Sometimes incomes don't stretch to cover 2nd mortgages of 300k+ for a crumby 2 bed apartment !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mike65 wrote:
    Right enough is enough leave the Alpha male sh1te outside. Anymore Off Topic posts will lead to a BAN.

Mike.

interuppting a good old fashioned knees up is a bannable offence.....

by the way, i drive a ford mondeo, and the gearbox is fine.
    just to keep it vaguely car related :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i was told by a salesman in annseley even desirable german cars depreciate 20% in year 1. u can add up the cost to 'rent' a car over 3 years on www.leaseplan.ie
    the cost is truely frightening as u have to add, tax, fuel, and insurance.

mrbungle wrote:
    Sometimes incomes don't stretch to cover 2nd mortgages of 300k+ for a crumby 2 bed apartment !!

If you can afford €800 a month in car repayments then you can afford to invest in a €300k apartment.

Anan1 wrote:
    If you can afford €800 a month in car repayments then you can afford to invest in a €300k apartment.

Not to keep harping on about this, but it is possible to trade in your current car and get repayments much lower than 800 p.m. and there are various types of payment options that can lower this further still.

Anyways, it's just a car, I have a house, people die young, life is far too short, you really need to enjoy it.

Big deal if people are paying 800 or whatever for a car. There are considerations to take into account, some people don't smoke, drink, buy BT clothes, exotic holidays, eat out, impulse buy, etc, people channel their funds differently.

For me I'd do all of the above except smoke, already down that, then realised my own words a few years ago, life is too short to be smoking, yikes !!

Anyways, must mention DSG before I get banned. My car will be here in 3 week, DSG (PADDLES ARE STANDARD DrDre !!), black with beige leather, I know, but I'm paying for it !! It'll stay clean, I don't mud wrestle in the car.

You know I was kinda feeling guilty about buying it when I first sat in it, but my fiancee said I looked really cool in it, so that was good enough for me!! Approval from a girl !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And on that bombshell.

Closed.

next time if you want to talk about car finances start a thread.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement