Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen / Living Room Extension - Building Certificate Required?

Options
  • 10-04-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I've a builder I know who's done a number of small jobs for me over the last year or so. I've a terraced house and am looking to put an extension out the back. It'll extend the kitchen & living room, joining the two and he'll do a cash job. My issue at the moment is regarding the Building Regulations Certificate (or named to that effect) which I presume I would need when selling it on, down the line. His brother is a draftsman and we're planning to meet up to decide on the exact job to be done. He didn't seem to think this idea of a certificate was that important and that all I'd need is the drawings related to the work. This sounds a bit dodgy to me. I'm presuming that when I sell, that I'd have to have something showing that the building is structurally sound etc. Does anyone have experience of what it is I need. An architect friend of mine said that the ball park figure he's given (18K) is too low for what would need to be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

The problem with certification is that once the work is done, it's then too late to get the work certified. Even with the most comprehensive set of detail on drawings, there's no guarantee that the drawings were followed by the builder. If you want to get the work certified, an architect will be required. An engineer might do it, but there are a lot of items like door widths, insulation, wheelchair accessability (Part M of the Regs) etc. that would not be the engineers usual line of work.

As you correctly point out, it's when you are selling the house that the issue is likely to arise. Any half-decent solicitor will look for confirmation that the new work was certified. I bought a house with an un-certified rear and side extension a couple of years ago. An engineer friend with a lot of housing experience gave it the once-over for me. He pointed out that once the rafters, foundations etc. are covered, there is no way to know what they are without breaking out the walls, floors, etc. I bought the house anyway, and didn't have any trouble selling it again.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you're taking a chance if you don't get the work certified. Imagine if you lost your new home because the buyers of your current one pulled out at the last moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

As Breezz... pointed out a problem may arise when selling as you may be asked to produce a Certificate of Exemption from planning permission and an Architects / Engineers Opinion on Compliance.

While both can be obtained the difference between a smooth sale and a long drawn out process can most likely be the wording of the Opinion on Compliance, they can be vague at the best of times but anything important not covered is what can cause the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BobbyFowler

Thanks for that. I'm getting the house remortgaged (buying my sisters half of the house at the mo) and have to fill out some forms before switching to another lender. A question on the form is as follows;

If you have any documentation relating to Planning Permission, Building
    Regulations Approval or an Architect's Certificate of Compliance please forward it to us with this questionnaire.

I understand that I'm taking a chance if I don't have the Building Regulations Approval or an Architects Certificate of Compliance. But is a subsequent seller simply "taking a chance" or do they in turn have to get a professional in and give something the all clear before a lender will give them money to buy? It's a pretty straightforward extension in my limited knowledge of things. Finger crossed that it wouldn't go pearshaped but I'm erring on the side of taking a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Thanks for that. I'm getting the house remortgaged (buying my sisters half of the house at the mo) and have to fill out some forms before switching to another lender. A question on the form is as follows;

If you have any documentation relating to Planning Permission, Building
    Regulations Approval or an Architect's Certificate of Compliance please forward it to us with this questionnaire.

I understand that I'm taking a chance if I don't have the Building Regulations Approval or an Architects Certificate of Compliance. But is a subsequent seller simply "taking a chance" or do they in turn have to get a professional in and give something the all clear before a lender will give them money to buy? It's a pretty straightforward extension in my limited knowledge of things. Finger crossed that it wouldn't go pearshaped but I'm erring on the side of taking a chance.

Hi
    PM me i might be able to help you out ?

Advertisement