Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Prequal Pass (subject to confirmation)

• 10-04-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I've been fighting with Eircom for the past 3 yrs, trying unsuccessfully to get BB, although increasing numbers of my neighbours now have it.
    My line always instantly failed the prequal test, and getting an engineer out, escalating to exec level in Eircom and BT got me nowhere.

So today I got a mail from Eircom with the title "Great News - you can now get eircom broadband!" but when I entered my number into the Line Tester, I got the following message:
    "Your line test result shows that your line may not be suitable for broadband. When you order, it will be on a best effort basis to provide you with service

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I was delighted until I noticed this proviso, although it will now allow me to place an order - progress, I hope!!

Cheers
    Clanc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its where (within limits) they consider you marginal and may fix your line to make you pass.

this scheme was announced a year back but was total vapourware then , tell us how it goes from when you order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive got the same thing after three years i'm hoping to get BB now dont know what to order though too many suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

eircom yesterday (April 10th) have extended the DSL range from 4.5Km to 5Km, subjected to a no guarantee of service, but a 'best effort' to provide one.

Shamrogue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats what I suspected . Thanks for confirming Shamrogue .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

This is great news for those of us between 4.5km and 5km from the local exchange. Placed my order already this morning once I got the old "PASS - Subject to Confirmation" notice. (So sick of that big red "Unsuitable" - I coud hardly believe my eyes)

Still, not there yet, so fingers crossed.

Great news nonetheless. Now if they roll out ADSL2 that would resolve the broadband issue for a lot more people....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Had a little chuckle yesterday, I received an e-mail from Eircom , confirming that yes indeed i could now get Broadband, funny that since ive had it for over 7 months now and they upgraded my line to 2 megs.

But my last major gripe with them is now gone, my line now passes all the online checkers whereas before it didnt

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey there Shinzon,
    Could you tell me your line attenuation figures, out of interest?

will do in work atm ill post them when i get home

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Im still failing the test:mad: A house about 200 metres up the road is passing with subject to confirmation but im still failing. Do you think if i rang them they might let me try it anyway?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ab_cork wrote:
    Im still failing the test:mad: A house about 200 metres up the road is passing with subject to confirmation but im still failing. Do you think if i rang them they might let me try it anyway?

Only one way to find out...........

• Advertisement

sorry meant to post this last night

Line Attenuation
    46/25 dB

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks for that, shin. That line would be a definite pass anyway. Eircom are rather thick when it comes to your case, as I'm sure you well know.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

shinzon wrote:
    sorry meant to post this last night

Line Attenuation
    46/25 dB

shin

How does one obtain this info??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mredmond wrote:
    How does one obtain this info??

It is usually available on one of the 'pages' in your modem/router - it will depend on the model you are using so post the make and people here will tell you where to look.

Advertisement