Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth

• 10-04-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I'm writing this post just to thank everybody on this forum who recommended opeth, as i am really getting into them these days. The more i listen to them, the more i cant stop listning to them! seriously, imo they have the perfect blend of metal, technicality, and harmony. i just love them, to bits!

i've been listning to still life for a few years now, but recently got ghost reveries and blackwater park. these albums turned them from a great band into a phenominal band for me.

which of their other albums would anybody recommend? also any like bands would be interesting.

once again, thanks to all you crazy metallers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 006

Morningrise is a masterpiece and you should get that next,and then every other album they ever made:p

I'd recommend Edge of Sanity ~Crimson,another masterpiece from '96.Dan swano helped produce "Morningrise" as far as i'm aware

also Green Carnation ~Light of DAy,Day of DArkness is a must have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I like Still Life

and before KH suggests it

get them ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Get them all but especially My Arms, Your Hearse. Demon of the Fall ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i also recently got into them. fantastic band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Good band, not my favorite but man some of there stuff is sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Every Opeth album, possibly excepting Ghost Reveries, which has yet to live up to its predecessors, is as good as every other, with its own specific merits. Their debut, Orchid, is sheer magnificence. I love it to bits, but no more than I love anything else they did. Having Opeth's back catalogue is like having a collection of girlfriends, all of whom have very different purposes, but who all do their specific purpose better than anyone else could possibly do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Having Opeth's back catalogue is like having a collection of girlfriends, all of whom have very different purposes, but who all do their specific purpose better than anyone else could possibly do them.

Great analogy. Seriously. I'd give you a Pacman emoticon if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Orchid, Still Life, Damnation. Deliverance, no matter how many times Ive heard people reccommend it, I still say the above 3.Deliverance is teh suck, as is Ghost Revieres (sp?).If you like their instrumental stuff, check out Porcupine Tree, pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i actually really like ghost reveries, but i have to say, blackwater park is rocking my socks off at the moment. i'll pick up the rest over the next few weeks,
    cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, I can't say anything other than just get them all. I left my copy of Ghost Reveries at a friend's house and I am deeply, deeply regretting it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

John2 wrote:
    Great analogy. Seriously. I'd give you a Pacman emoticon if I could.
    I do try. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

You can't go wrong with any of their CDs, but Morningrise is my favourite. Ghost Reveries was a little dissapointing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

Two bands you might also like

Novembers Doom http://www.myspace.com/novembersdoom

Moonsorrow http://www.myspace.com/moonsorrowcrusade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Moonsorrow rawk.

Give katatonia a try too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I purchased Opeth’s Ghost Reveries after reading so much about them on this forum. I was never a Death Metal fan or liked death singing but this band blew me away.
    It’s the first band in a long time that has really really impressed me. I have also purchased Still Life and Damnation and plan to get the rest.

So thanks to all the fans for speaking so highly of them!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

have ye heard theyre playing the ambassador 12th of june? :D SOOOO excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Hoooray for Opeth! By far my favourite metal band. Every release by them has simply been a stroke of genius. They're a band who haven't put a foot wrong.

On the topic of similar sounding bands, I'd also reccommend:

Edge of sanity (crimson and crimson II)
    Green Carnation (Light of Day, Day of Darkness)
    Maudlin of the well (Leaving your body map)
    (and to a lesser extent becasue they're more "tool" -ish) The postman syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Nea wrote:
    I purchased Opeth’s Ghost Reveries after reading so much about them on this forum.

Same here, saw it for 13 euro and thought I'd give it get it. They're such a class band,I only have that album but like everyone else is saying, I plan to get the rest.

How much are the tickets for the gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

bought Morningrise from amazon last night (along with Megaherz - 5!). wanted to get blackwater park but amazon says it's discontinued

it has the coolest cover of any opeth album IMO :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sammysatan

Dublin Metal Events Proudly Presents:

opeth_poster.jpg

Sorry bout the poster size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got my ticket on Monday, Cant wait :)

Got a copy of Blackwater Park aswell

Advertisement