Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vba "-b" quadratic formula

Options
  • 11-04-2006 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

i need to write a visual basic programme with excel to use the qudratic formula to find the roots of a quad equation.

you know....

x = -b +/- (square root) 4 a.c./ 2.a

so given the values, i need to write a script or whatever for it.

do i need to create a form too?

i havent a breeze. i know its not a hard thing to do tho.

i'm lost help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

not what i need.

it has to be an .xls file

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

From the sounds of things, this isn't where you want to be asking this question.

You apparently know what you don't want, but you admit to not having a breeze about what you do want.

That makes it kinda hard to offer any help.

The formula isn't difficult. Coding it in VB/VBA isn't difficult, and the google links should give that much to you.

If you don't know where to go from there, then I suggest your question amounts to little more than "can someone do my homework for me", but I'm open to correction.

jc

if you dont have anything to offer you neednt reply.

and in response, i do know what i want just dont know where to start. i have scrips but am unsure how or where to insert them.

im also unsure of whether or not i need to create a form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

The first result from Toraks search gives you the code in VB. VBA in excel is pretty much identical. If you cant convert from the example provided to an excel sheet then I think bonkeys last point is spot on.

• Advertisement

its in a file i cant recognise.

i dont feel i should be slated because i'm not a computer whizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

its in a zip file. download winzip (www.winzip.com) and open it. And if you need to write to a VB programme you do need some idea what you are doing. Not knowing how to open a zip file is a bad start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

judas101 wrote:
    if you dont have anything to offer you neednt reply.

I wasn't aware you ran this forum....but regardless I do have something to offer.

My advice is that you learn the basics, start things on your own, and then come and ask for details on the later bits.

If you don't know how or where to start, then you need to learn the basics of VBA programming before you can attempt to start solving this problem.
    and in response, i do know what i want just dont know where to start. i have scrips but am unsure how or where to insert them.

In other words - you have code which you didn't write, but you don't know how to do the rest of the bits necessary to turn it into what you need.

So if you didn't have someone else's code...what would you have? No code, and no idea where to start......

I still stand by my analysis - you have a project you want done for you.
    im also unsure of whether or not i need to create a form.

Your problem can be solved with or without a form. Whether or not you need one depends on the requirements. You are currently the only person here who we can assume to be in possession of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

judas101 wrote:
    its in a file i cant recognise.

i dont feel i should be slated because i'm not a computer whizz.

No. You should certainly be slated for being unwilling to learn, and for asking 'do my homework for me' questions on a board where that is verboten, though.

Advertisement