Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning movies etc

Options
  • 11-04-2006 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've been reading a few stories of late as to what gets banned
    in various countries. It all seems quite random.

Does anyone know of anything main stream from overseas that has
    been banned here (books, movies). Do they publish the criteria for
    censorship and is it an EU thing?

(I found the censors banned list a while back but it seemed very scattered
    with classic titles such and "Steve and Stan Working Hard" banned).

The following was banned for "extreme homosexuality"! Obviously
    they haven't met too many gay people in the Bahamas.. I don't
    think a couple of married man who sadly have to repress their
    homosexuality and resort to the odd romp in the woods counts as
    extreme.

Bahamas outlaws ‘Brokeback Mountain’

The Bahamian Plays and Films Control Board ruled that "Brokeback Mountain" should not be shown because it features "extreme homosexuality, nudity and profanity," the BBC reported March 31. The Rainbow Alliance, Bahamian gay rights group, called it "a farce" that a small group of people should try to "provide the moral compass for the entire country." The Bahamian film board said the film was of "no value for the Bahamian public." Theater director Philip Burrows, said, "You have a group of people who are telling grown men and women what they can and cannot watch," the BBC reported. The film is widely available in the Bahamas on DVD and video, reported Agence France-Presse.

Comments

Advertisement