Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

02 3G Lauched?

• 11-04-2006 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Has 3G been launched? they have the nokia 6680 on their website link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Fast WCDMA and EDGE connections for broadband-speed browsing plus tri-band GSM phone with global roaming capability

Sounds like its either a mistake or a gsm version of the phone? But I don't get why it wouldn't have another model number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It does not look like a mistake. The O2 3G network has been online and open to business users for ages now. The consumer version of 3G wont be launching any time soon as they are concentrating on iMode. Then they will announce a new range of 3G powered iMode phones which are faster and so on. In the mean time, anyone with a 3G phone can already use there 3G network. My friend has had access to it for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't need a 3G network to use a 6680 :rolleyes:

The 6680 is still a gsm phone no matter what network you are on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

HavoK wrote:

we know that but i read in the sunday newspaper that o2 will be launching their 3g network VERY soon so it should be within this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

HavoK wrote:

I understand that but in that case why hasn't 02 sold 3G phones before and it doesnt make much sense listing 3g in the phone features if it can't be used. Last time I asked a rep I was told it's been launched soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

drdre wrote:
    we know that but i read in the sunday newspaper that o2 will be launching their 3g network VERY soon so it should be within this month.

02 3G as far as I know is currently active but not offically launched.

And yes, I know that YOU know, but someone said its either a mistake or they've released a "GSM version of the phone"??... Bizarre talk :D

edit: I understand Center I was more puzzled with the second posters comments to be honest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

HavoK wrote:
    02 3G as far as I know is currently active but not offically launched.

And yes, I know that YOU know, but someone said its either a mistake or they've released a "GSM version of the phone"??... Bizarre talk :D

edit: I understand Center I was more puzzled with the second posters comments to be honest :D
    havok i know that they are testing it and it is active but its not fully available in shops yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

........ In the mean time, anyone with a 3G phone can already use there 3G network. My friend has had access to it for ages.

So how you go about accessing it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

On one of their radio ads, I'm sure they mentioned 3G.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

drdre wrote:
    havok i know that they are testing it and it is active but its not fully available in shops yet.

Their 3G data cards have been around (and available) since last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

parsi wrote:
    Their 3G data cards have been around (and available) since last year

ye they launced the 3g data card for business last august. you still can't make a video call on the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

They will not be "launching" the 3g network, in the normal way. There will just be more and more 3g phones and services available as time goes by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Does i-mode use an edge connection to access wap?

no, GPRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 3G has been launched - it is used for Imode - I think it's just the Samsung z320 at the moment ...

You also get 3G speeds on O2 Active (and websites!) via the 6680...

Personally I feel this is a seriously letdown - but look at the market share - is 3G really loosing them many customers? It's a novelty beyond anything else - how many people actually video call on a regular basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

caster wrote:
    So how you go about accessing it ?
    Simple, just use your 3G phone with an O2 SIM, and make sure that the phone is set to "dual mode". His phone displays a 3G logo when in a 3G area, and no logo when outside that. And he has 3G speeds when accessing O2 Active while in 3G coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I've notice on my bill under Data Charges it says GPRS/3G so they must be setup to charge for 3G if anyone uses it

You would also need a 3G sim, and have 3G enabled on the billing system.

@The Doktor
    No, you don't.

so how does the 3G network know to allow a user onto the network?

• Advertisement

If the phone is 3G the network will use 3G speeds ...

what speed are you getting?

I'm not using one at the moment - but I used a regular speakeasy O2 SIM in a 6630 and it gave me nice fast speeds .. beyond GPRS ..

did it show the 3g icon on the left of the screen?

yes, I got the 3G icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Doktor wrote:
    You would also need a 3G sim, and have 3G enabled on the billing system.

You do need a USIM, correct. However, you do not really need to be enabled on their billing system..

Even with a standard sim, the phone will still display that it is connected to 3G IIRC but you will not get the speeds..

when I say billing system, I mean HLR. If its not enabled on your profile on the HLR, you wont get a 3g connection. I think (not 100%) all new sims are usims..could be wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

3g is just a data speed standard. at the moment its just charged the usual 1c per kb. none of this bs. once your have a compatible 3g device on a 3g network then your phone can utilise the 3g speeds. you dont need anything activated on your account or anything special like that.

go buy a sim free n70 if you can afford one and stick your speakeasy sim into it, and youll see what i mean.

3g isnt just a data rate standard, its a totally seperate network from 2g/2.5g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you can make and recieve 3g calls using a recent sim - i was able to do it with a speak easy sim(about 4 months old)

there are no video calls even between o2 customer

the 3g network is there alright - it's just not being pimped yet ;)

Advertisement