Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

02 3G Lauched?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Just to bump this, I use the 3g data card, that uses gprs (~56k) where you are charged 1c per kb, and 3g (~337k) where its €1.75 a MB.
    Obviously I use the 3G, but coverage can be sketchy for 3g at times, but excellent for GPRS.
    I understand that the imode is o2s 3G service, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sparky-s wrote:
    Just to bump this, I use the 3g data card, that uses gprs (~56k) where you are charged 1c per kb, and 3g (~337k) where its €1.75 a MB.
    Obviously I use the 3G, but coverage can be sketchy for 3g at times, but excellent for GPRS.
    I understand that the imode is o2s 3G service, right?

Nope, AFAIK, imode is like secure GPRS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

i-mode is a 'service' not a technology per-se. I've used it with GPRS and 3G phones. It's just faster on 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

From what I read on Wikipedia, a USIM is used by UMTS networks but evidence would suggest that 3G phones can use 3G features with a valid "2G" card from O2 and Voda. 3 uses 3G-only cards that are not accepted in non-3G phones. The SIM contains the security keys needed to connect to the network itself, the subscriber ID and other information.

The 3G network run by O2 (and Voda) is seperate entirely to their GSM network. The networks do however, share the same central core. If I stuck my old O2 sim into a 3G phone, the phone would check for the Home network ID (27202) and scan the frequencies until it found it, a 3G phone will scan for 3G networks first and it would pick up O2's 3G network which (like Voda) uses the same ID as its 2G counterpart. O2 dont need to change anything because only the infrastructure is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I notice it says 3G-CDMA on the card, so as it is I have a standard sim that will work in any gsm phone, but if it went full 3G it could take a 3G sim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

As far as I'm aware 3G is available with O2, however they're not marketing it as such - instead where there is 3G coverage connection to i-mode will be at 3G speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

i have an i-mate JasJar and i can get 3g reception on it, you cant get video calling but you do get data, its faster but the same price as gprs, im on pay as you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why are people still amazed by O2 having 3G? It's there .. can we move on? :D

Advertisement