Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science tackles the issue of Life after Death,

• 11-04-2006 3:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Here is an interesting new study that was conducted on life after death, should be a lot of interesting stuff to talk about here.

Light at end of the tunnel over near death experiences

Some describe a journey along a tunnel towards a light. Many say the light exudes warmth and forgiveness. Others report that gazing down on themselves in an operating theatre made them certain of life after death.
    Throughout history, there have been accounts of people experiencing visions on the brink of death, what are now called near-death experiences. There are dozens of books and films on the subject, even a Journal of Near Death Studies in America, and a conference planned this October in Houston, Texas.
    Today, new evidence is published that backs the idea that the near-death experience is a biological experience, rather than anything to do with a larger, spiritual dimension, a glimpse of heaven, or the existence of the soul.
    People who have had near- death experiences are able to slip into dream sleep more easily than those who have not had one, according to a study published in Neurology, the journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
    "I see it as an activation of certain brain regions that are also active during the dream state," said Prof Kevin Nelson, a neurologist and lead study author, from the University of Kentucky, Lexington.
    "However, I hesitate to call it dreaming or dreaming while awake. This is the first testable hypothesis of a biological basis for these experiences."
    For his study, a near-death experience was defined as a time during a life-threatening episode when a person experienced a variety of feelings, including a sense of being outside of one's body, unusual alertness, seeing an intense light, and a feeling of peace.
    The study compared 55 people with near-death experiences with 55 people of the same age and gender who had not had them.
    It found that people with near-death experiences were more likely to have a sleep-wake system in which the boundaries between sleep and wakefulness were not as clearly regulated, and the dream sleep state - when there is rapid eye movement - can intrude into normal wakeful consciousness.
    Examples of "REM intrusion" include waking up and feeling that you cannot move - sleep paralysis - having sudden muscle weakness in your legs, and hearing sounds just before falling asleep or just after waking up that other people cannot hear.
    Of the people with near- death experiences, 60 per cent reported REM intrusion, compared with 24 per cent of people who had not had near-death experiences.
    "These findings suggest that REM-state intrusion contributes to near-death experiences," said Prof Nelson.
    Prof Nelson said other factors supported this. Several features of near-death experiences are also associated with the dream state, for example, the feeling of being outside of one's body and being surrounded by light.
    Because the brain turns off the body's ability to move during dreaming, muscles can lose their tone, or tension.
    "During a crisis that occurs with REM-state intrusion, this lack of muscle tone could reinforce a person's sense of being dead and convey the impression of death to other people," Prof Nelson said.
    He added that a biological explanation was "spiritually neutral". "We, as neurologists, address the how of these experiences coming about but not the why," he said.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting.

I suppose for anyone who is be sceptical about near death experiences, that theory backs up the notion that it is simply the mind playing tricks.

It doesn't stop the experience from being very real and emotional I guess, and I'd imagine you'd find it hard to convince a Christian (or other) who's experienced a NDE that it was basicaly a dream.

A light 'exuding forgiveness' does sound cool though. Must get one of them for the fridge. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

A light 'exuding forgiveness' does sound cool though. Must get one of them for the fridge. ;)

Why stop at the fridge, I'm ordering a whole crate;)

But it is interesting when we take the recent studies on pray into account. Seems like there is currently a real drive on for clarity and resolution on the realities we hold dear. Thats a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Asiaprod wrote:

He added that a biological explanation was "spiritually neutral". "We, as neurologists, address the how of these experiences coming about but not the why," he said.

Wow the new christian right really do seem to be scaring people. This such a 'don't start protesting against us, you christian nuts' disclaimer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

What causes you to jump just before you get to sleep, or when you're half asleep.

You know, the falling off building jump you get sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

jtsuited wrote:
    Wow the new christian right really do seem to be scaring people. This such a 'don't start protesting against us, you christian nuts' disclaimer.

I think you're paranoid. He's merely setting the research in its proper context least it be used to prove or disprove some spirtual aspect. Which in a way is what is happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think you're paranoid. He's merely setting the research in its proper context least it be used to prove or disprove some spirtual aspect. Which in a way is what is happening here.
    I don't think they are concerned about it taken out of context.
    I mean - what other way of taking that research is there?

I believe they are simply taking the neutral ground. Whatever spiritual conclusions are drawn from it are not strictly their concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

RotalicaV wrote:
    What causes you to jump just before you get to sleep, or when you're half asleep.

Basically you start to fall asleep and begin dreaming with your conscious mind still slightly active.
    (Usually your subconscious takes part in dreams.)

Eventually you trip on a stone, let's say, in the dream. At that point your conscious mind goes "Holy ****, I'm going to fall" and quickly reacts which wakes you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

RotalicaV wrote:

See here.

The "dream" of hitting something is, I think, an interpretation of the relaxation of your muscles you get when you're falling asleep, rather than the other way around.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Scofflaw wrote:
    See here.

The "dream" of hitting something is, I think, an interpretation of the relaxation of your muscles you get when you're falling asleep, rather than the other way around.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Thanks for the link.
    Dreaming is one of the coolest areas of cognitive science.
    I think we've so much to learn from it, especially considering how much it goes against the notion of the consciousness as a holistic entity.

Advertisement