Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fence posts

Options
  • 11-04-2006 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Folks, i need to make a small fence, it will only consist of 3/4 posts in the ground... what is the general rule of thumb when sinking these, cement, dry mix that takes the moisture from the soil of gravel ?

Thanks in advance,

oleras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

anybody ? ? im thinking wet concrete....... any takers ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Give me a day and I'll let you know what my son done. Him and his mate put in quite a few 3 inch sq. posts for a 5 ft. high slatted wooden fence and it was a disaster. The posts were moving and it would have been dangerous in windy conditions.

He got another mate (one that he trusted) and they dug them out again and started from scratch. It ended up a perfect job.

I will see him hopefully some time tomorrow and let you know what he did. But obviously be guided by any other posts (sorry no pun intended) that come along

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If they are timber posts, I would be reluctant to use cement/concrete, as this will hold moisture against the wood and it will rot quicker.

Just point the timber and sledge it into the ground. Or if the ground is very hard, dig a hole, position the post, hammer some large rocks in around the post, and fill the rest of the way with soil etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Posts should go 18 to 24 inches in the ground try to make the hole a square and as small as possible (uses less concrete and keeps post tighter, obviously leave hole big enough for a good support of concrete). The mix should be fairly dry but you should add some water to it, if it is too wet you will be days waiting for it to go off and hang whatever panels you are going to use. No water and the mix will be too dry and the post may well shift in the wind before enough moisture has set the mix. One last thing only fill with mix to about 4 inches from top so dont have loads of concrete showing and like prospect said lash in a few stones helps save on mix and adds "firmness" to the post.

Now out the back and get digging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Make sure you thoroughly treat the portion of the posts that is to be buried, whether you use concrete or not. Also, I'd disagree with not concreting up to ground level - this creates an area where ponding will occur and will rot the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you can get the metal spikes that hold a 4" square pole I would use them.
    They hammer into the ground and the pole sits in the top out of the soil and able to dry properly.

Advertisement