Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick solution to timber frame external wall

Options
  • 11-04-2006 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am building a car port soon between the house and a two storey garage.

I am considering adding knee type walls to the sides of the car port so that it can be a walk in space (i.e. instead of a pitched slate roof between the house and the garage covering the car port area and functioning as a roof only, I am considering 'jacking' it up 4 or 5 feet at the edges to allow space to walk 'into' the car port from the attached 2 storey garage)

I have taken into account the effect the higher car port will have on the house.

I also have steel beams in place to support the original idea (the lower 'ordinary' roof).

I am going to get some extra ones to support the roof if it moves up and use the original ones to support the floor of the new walk in room.

Don't worry all of this will be checked by an engineer, the idea I want to throw open for discussion is the use of timber framed walls clad in concrete boards.
    I believe this would be the best approach for me to take as the two timber framed 'walls' would be relatively light.

With regard to the construction details on such a wall I presume it would be
    from the inside out
    STUD + OSB BOARD + BREATHABLE MEMBRANE + BATTENS??? + CONCRETE BOARD + EXTERNAL RENDER

CenturY Homes's Eco house is built using a similR METHOD, BUt I couldn't get their design detail after a quick search on the web.

just wanted to check this detail with anyone who might offer an insight, if my post hasn't put you to sleep already!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We use OSB on the inside of the stud (if you tape the joints it acts like a vapour barrier) and green plasterboard on the outside.
    We glue Granitewool insulation externally onto the plaster board and plaster over this. We also put insulation between the studs.

Advertisement