Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog on/off Lead / Psycho Woman

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Double post.Please remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Why do you put "Agressive" with large breeds and "Gentle" with small breeds?

I put them there because of the *point* I was making, not as a generalisation about breeds. To wit: *a large aggressive dog* can easily kill *a small gentle dog* -- or a small aggressive dog, if you prefer. Either way, the small dog will generally be no match for a large dog intent on being aggressive. Or as I have noted as well, a, large FRIENDLY dog (especially a large breed puppy at over 6 months of age) can easily badly injure any smaller dog, puppy or adult, in play. I have seen this happen. I never said: "Small dogs, which are always friendly, can be easily injured by large dogs, which are always aggressive. :rolleyes: Small dogs are often the nippers, but medium to large dogs simply because of the size and strength of their jaws are far more likely to inflict serious injury on other animals, items, or people.

BTW I have also owned large gentle breeds -- for 13 years, a Pyrenean Mountain Dog weighing in at 135 lbs; you don't get too much larger than that. A kinder, gentler mountain of a dog I have yet to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Either way, the small dog will generally be no match for a large dog intent on being aggressive

Just to even this out a bit...

An agressive small dog will have the tendons ripped out of a peaceful giants' legs before the giant can even say "boo" or think about its supposedly powerful jaws :eek:

So, all agressive dogs belong on leads, be they big or small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

"Small dogs are often the nippers, but medium to large dogs simply because of the size and strength of their jaws are far more likely to inflict serious injury on other animals, items, or people".

Again a dogs strenght is not based on its size.A dogs strenght is better measured by its muscle mass, its jaw pressure and most importantly its agression.For example :a bull terrier (a small dog) in an agressive confrontation
    can easily rip the likes of a Labrador (medium) to German Shepard (large) to pieces.
    From my experience small dogs are not always just nippers,in fact my older sister and my best friend have both been bitten by Jack Russells.My sister was bitten straight through her shoe and my friend had a puncture wound through his hand.My own dog (a large Labrador) was attacked onlead whilst being walked by my younger sister by a little white highland terrier(ohhh so cute) and left two puncture wounds in his ears.My own dog was trying to hide in behind my sister as the highland terrier kept going for his face,luckily enough the neighbours ran out and pulled it off in time.But i dont assume all Terriers are like this as i have friends that own them and there is no agression.
    A large dog can easily knock someone over thats for sure but as far as bite injury goes it does not really matter the size of the dog it depends on how agressive it is.Without a doubt agressive dogs should be on leads but just because a dog is of a large breed does not mean it should be onlead anymore than a smaller dog.

Advertisement