Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Flat Roof ??

Options
  • 11-04-2006 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi All esp Roofer Pete :-)
    here are a few shots of work that was recently done on my parents houseI`d love to hear anybodys comments on the quality of work on the flat roof and the lead Flauching ( it appears too short to me )..
    regards
    Amigaman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dear God - Tell me that you didn't pay for that! That is just bloody appalling.

Maybe try & post a piccy that gives a large view of the roof as the close-ups are hard to put into context.

I'll leave the detailed criticism to RooferPete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

OMG :eek: , I'm no roofer but that looks very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

To Put this in context . this is the first floor veranda its semi-circular in shape For years it suffered from poor repair and water pentration so much so that a Structural Eng. felt it better to replace the RSJ underneath .My parents hired this crowd on the strength of recomendation of the Struct Eng .Now they were slow but they were good at regiging the structural members inside the house ....however after they replaced this flat roof it leaked and whislt it was wet they added another layerof felt on top....also the quality of the finishing inside the house is very poor see the newly attached photos...

Whoever did that is an absolute bloody chancer.
    Was it a registered construction firm?
    Have you said anything to your "Structural Engineer"? What did he say?

Have both been paid? If so, I'd first ask for the job to be fixed for free.
    If refused - ask to be recompensed on the basis that the work is utterly sub-standard & needs to be re-done - especially the roof. (This will probably be a waste of time, but at least you are offering them the opportunity to set things right.)

Then go legal on their sorry asses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

That lead flashing should be dressed in properly and a sand and cement drip just above it. Instead it seems that a coat of some form of bitumen was slapped on.
    As regards the head of the door frame it is not constructed properly the head piece should be rebated house the jambs or side pieces nicely, this is just shoddy rushed work by people either not in the know or they just don't give a damn.
    The mitre joint on the architrave is very poor.
    Is the final pic on your second post actually the finished work?

The application of the roof covering is very poor but no doubt Roofer Pete will be able to give you the lowdown on that.

• Advertisement

Yes thats the quality of the work .. forgot to take a photo of the skirting board Butt jointed right in the middle of a 10 foot run he just butt joined 2 pieces together...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

Honestly, not being dramatical but as far as the roof is concerned this is the poorest job i've ever seen.

don't let these cowboys away with this, if money is already paid and they won't come back. i'd consider legal action.

Where's RooferPete when you need him?

This is obviously the one day per week that he does roofs as opposed to Boards(.ie).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Without doubt , some of the worst work I have seen, but not THE worst unfortunately.

I imagine at this stage you must be in a state of rage over this. I agree with all the previous advice on courses of action. Definitely legal action is an option for you, as you cannot be expected to pay for work of this quality.
    I would consider the legal route as a must. I would not like to invite this outfit back to repair.

As already pointed out, the door frame is incorrectly prepared. There should be a halving joint in the head to allowthe legs of the frame to fit into. This shoulder prevents the frame legs from twisting and moving on the hinge side in particular. You need to get this sorted as well.

This is the type of work that gives all building workers a bad name,. So remember there are professionals out there. Its strange that your engineer suggested them, as he must have known their standards. If you cant rely on the advice of the professional, where do you go...

kadman:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Wouldn't fancy walking across a bridge designed by an engineer who recommended those fellows to do work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

What is there to say ?????

The photos tell the story and it doesn't take a roofer to see that the roof covering is sub standard, I couldn't tell from the photos but it looks like 2mm underlay.

The lead work is a sorry joke, if the wall needs a flashing it needs it all the way across, although looking at the expensive silicone joint at the top it might have caused more trouble if they had continued all the way.

FWIW, forget the hmm ? dem fellas and follow the "Structural Engineer" if he has Professional Indemnity insurance your parents may have a chance of getting something back if he signed off on that attempt.

Sorry for your troubles.

Peter.

Can anybody suggest a good building surveyor that they have used in the past to totally examine and produce a report on the work that these people have done at my parents house.??
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Amigaman,

A word of caution at this time, before going the legal route it is wise to ensure the party you are taking the action against has assets that can be converted to cash.

I expect your Parents Solicitor will first check if the Surveyor has Professional Indemnity Insurance in place, there is a process known as "The Phoenix Syndrome" it happens when some people who have assets but no insurance carry on trading until well into the legal process.

When it becomes obvious they are open to exposure (losing money) company xyz ltd. is closed on a Friday and the same people are open again on Monday with the same telephones, address etc but are now zxy ltd.

I know company law has been tightened up in the past few years but there are many different ways the same tactic is used, there are times when the consumer must weigh up the cost of legal action against the likely hood of actually being reimbursed for the bad workmanship / advice and their own legal fees.

Sad to say that many have found themselves with judgements that cost them a lot of money to obtain but they are not worth the paper they are written on, add the biggest cost which IMO is the stress and the consumer loses more than just money.

If your parents use the services of a professional my advice FWIW is to have two uses for the advice they receive, first to make their hime waterproof and comfortable, the second to investigate if legal action is worth the time and trouble.

Kind Regards,

Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Amigaman wrote:
    here are a few shots of work that was recently done on my parents house
    tbh, thats more evidence to back up my 'get a decent manual and figure out how to do it yourself' philosophy.

Sorry for your trouble mate, I find it hard to believe that job was done by anyone who's ever seen a roof before. I'd expect better from a junior cert woodwork class.

Advertisement