Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt System for Hard Water

Options
  • 11-04-2006 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Any one got any recommendations on a Salt System for water? or recently had one installed? some ideas on price would be great too.. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Any one got any recommendations on a Salt System for water? or recently had one installed? some ideas on price would be great too.. thanks

Firstly - what part of the country are ya in?

Secondly - the type of system depends on what ya want.

I got a water softner put in about one year ago. It cost me €1,000 for supply and installation. After that, you need to purchase bags of salt for the softner. Depending on the amount of water/number of people in the house you will need more or less bags.

My wife and I are the only two living in the house and usually throw a bag (€7.50) per month into the softner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

who did you buy the softener from, did it take them long to install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

North East area and the problem is Lime in the water.. i have heard of others in the area getting a salt system and it seemed to help with clogged pipes, kettles, showers etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

North East area and the problem is Lime in the water.. i have heard of others in the area getting a salt system and it seemed to help with clogged pipes, kettles, showers etc...

There are quite a few people doing them now - I got a guy in Dunshaughlin, County Meath.

It takes about half a day to install I think. You can get it installed under your sink but, to be honest, you then lose cupboard to it. Alternatively you can have it installed outside with a steel cover on it for and extra €90 or something - that is what I did - €1,000 all in.

The water is drinkable from it but may have a slight salty taste. Not recommended for pregnant women to drink as there is now sodium in it otherwise it will do you no harm.

You can get a small fountain tap or a three way kitchen tap so you can also have unfiltered water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We bought a Waterboss 700 for €1200 supply only, installed it was 1400. Not much to installing them if you have some basic plumbing knowledge. Our water is about 18gpg and we have used less than two bags since I installed it in Jan 2006. (2 adults and a baby)

We paid a little more for our model, but it's regeneration is based on quantity of water used, not timer based like most. Should save us the difference over the years by using way less salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Try Springsoft.ie, I think the're almost nationwide. I installed a system for Lime which is great but now it's the Iron that's my problem. Need to find a solution for that. There is also a grant available through the Council for up to 75% of cost if the property is over 10yrs old and has been tested and found to need fixing.

Advertisement