Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training and Donating Blood

Options
  • 11-04-2006 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I was asked to donate blood today.
    I have just started a six month training regime and want to know the effects that loosing a pint of blood will have.

Does anybody have any experience or advice?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I was asked to donate blood today.
    I have just started a six month training regime and want to know the effects that loosing a pint of blood will have.

Does anybody have any experience or advice?

i was fine to train the next day but took it easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

usual advice is to take it easy for 24 hours. I've never had a problem with general training afterwards but always find a perceptible effect on hard sessions for several weeks (coming from an endurance sport background)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it was better than starting a duplicate.
    I donated on Wednesday, everything went fine etc & it was about my 8th or 9th time donating I think.
    Anyway, on my way to work thursday morning I noticed that my heart rate was about 20bpm above normal for the same effort & overall I was performing poorly. Anyway when I got in I remembered the donation and googled it and was a bit shocked by the results.
    This page has four different articles on the effects.
    http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20040809_BloodDonation.html
    Seemingly it reduces peak performance by 10-15% for up to 6 weeks or so.
    I never realised that it had such drastic effects for such a prolonged period and I wont be donating again while I am involved in competitive sport.
    I think that there should be more information provided to donors on these effects by the ibts.

Btw daveym, the articles above support your experience perfectly, they note that moderate exercise is not effected but peak performances are reduced considerably for a period of several weeks.

Advertisement