Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on 1st Provisonal

Options
  • 11-04-2006 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I am 24 and live in Dublin. I have taken 10 driving lessons and have my full liecence test coming up in 3 weeks. I have been instructed by my driving instructor that I need about 10 more hours driving on my own to get ready for the test. It is impossible for me to have my parents or any other Full Liecence holder with me in the car as I live on my own. I have bought a car and am getting it insured today.... how am I ment to have someone with me.... what will happen if i get stopped by the guards... I am very sensible and not a boy racer.... any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

you could ask a friend or something to sit in with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

50% of the time that will be possible but 50% it wont.....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Your driving instructor is a moron. Your best shot is to never have driven on your own, to always have had someone in the car telling you the right way to do it.

Most people lose their skill by driving lazily, and that only happens once you get into the car by yourself.

Driving by yourself on a 1st provisional is illegal. How about "what happens if I not competent enough and kill someone" instead of "what happens if the gardai catch me".

I would suggest that you get a good driving instructor, one that won't encourage you to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Its a tough situation - my instructor said the same thing to me and its totally impossible for me to have someone with me.

Garth so if I had the cop on like my brother and applied for his provisional 3 years ago never driven and then got a car this year I am now the safest driver in the world..... I am then on my 2nd provisional no driving experience but am perfectly safe to drive on my own.... this is why I think this law is a joke... even though I don’t think it really is a law more a restriction as I seen a court case where a judge through a case out because he had no solid law to prosecute some on for driving on there own...

Please explain

• Advertisement

There is a big problem in this country - the amount of accidents / road deaths is shocking. Why isn't there more education in place? I really think that there should be 10 hours of class time given to secondary students about driving - nothing on the road - just classwork.

There should be a requirement (and proof) of getting a certain amount of lessons from a certified instructor before you are allowed to sit the test.

The queues for the test should be seriously shorter.

The traffic police should be more visible - I hardly ever see any police on the roads.

*I have nothing bad to say about the cops - they have a tough job - but they need more resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

"I am then on my 2nd provisional no driving experience but am perfectly safe to drive on my own...."

You would be legally entitled to drive on your own but that would not make you safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Explain what? If I had my way, that particular law would be enforced properly.

However if you posted this just to hear,

"Sure everyone drives alone on their 1st provisional, go ahead" I'm sure someone will say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Garth wrote:
    Your driving instructor is a moron. Your best shot is to never have driven on your own, to always have had someone in the car telling you the right way to do it.

Most people lose their skill by driving lazily, and that only happens once you get into the car by yourself.

Driving by yourself on a 1st provisional is illegal. How about "what happens if I not competent enough and kill someone" instead of "what happens if the gardai catch me".

I would suggest that you get a good driving instructor, one that won't encourage you to break the law.

That's all well and good in theory but completely impractical, with 9-10 month waiting lists what are people supposed to do, quit work or college for 10 months until they have their full licence.

I too would like to take the moral high ground and say i'll never drive without a full licenced driver with me but i'd have to quit work or spend a fortune on taxis every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Here we go again..... must be a week since this topic came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I would not advise you to drive by yourself however as having an instructor or fully licenced driver in the car will allow them to point out your mistakes or shortcomings. If you are making any errors and do not realise what they are, you will possibly make them into a habit. If you can't get someone in the car with you're probably better off not practicing. The law and enforcement on this point is a joke. Unless you do something exceptionally stupid you won't get pulled for this although technically it's not legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bluetonic wrote:
    Here we go again..... must be a week since this topic came up.

haha, yeah I had a good laugh on that thread.

To answer the OP question it is illegal, end of story. Doesn't matter that you live on your own etc, you are not legally allowed on the road. So you will just have to wait till your mates can drive with you(the ones with a full license) or get more lessons. There is enough people on the roads in Dublin without a proper license than adding another one to the carnage.

Again as I suggested before I would love if the Garda where given the power to ban someone for 1-2 years if they catch them on the road without the correct license, or without a licensed driver with them. Would end all this crap

I have a friend who has a full licence to drive a motorbike ... he passed that test would that work as theoretically he has a Full Licence

I have a friend who has a full licence to drive a motorbike ... he passed that test would that work as theoretically he has a Full Licence

As far as I know its not because its for a motorbike and not a car, your friend would still be on a provisional license for a car?

Obviously it has to be in the same category. When I was doing the articulated truck, the accompanied person also had to be a holder of a C+E licence.

Big Nelly wrote:
    To answer the OP question it is illegal, end of story. Doesn't matter that you live on your own etc, you are not legally allowed on the road. So you will just have to wait till your mates can drive with you(the ones with a full license) or get more lessons. There is enough people on the roads in Dublin without a proper license than adding another one to the carnage.

I would like to see the garda release a report with the number of provisional license holders that caused accidents and the number of full license holders that cause accidents.

I too am all for the no driving unless you pass your test but the government is a joke, the waiting times for the test are too long, way too long. There is a loop hole as pointed out above where you can just get a 1st provisional never drive and then drive away on your second provisional,

What is the theory test for the provisional all about, completely pointless. Have road deaths fallen since its introduction, I don't know exact figures but I highly doubt it.

The system is flawed and needs changing big time but they wont bother doing that because people are happy to drive on their own on a provisional and the garda/government are happy to let them.

Vegeta wrote:
    I would like to see the garda release a report with the number of provisional license holders that caused accidents and the number of full license holders that cause accidents.

I too am all for the no driving unless you pass your test but the government is a joke, the waiting times for the test are too long, way too long. There is a loop hole as pointed out above where you can just get a 1st provisional never drive and then drive away on your second provisional,

What is the theory test for the provisional all about, completely pointless. Have road deaths fallen since its introduction, I don't know exact figures but I highly doubt it.

The system is flawed and needs changing big time but they wont bother doing that because people are happy to drive on their own on a provisional and the garda/government are happy to let them.

Same arguement everytime and I come back with the same reply, if you want to do the test you will get a test no problem. A mate of mine started a new job and needs a car, is doing lessons etc and I am bringing her out, she applied about a month or 2 ago and has her test this month. That wasn't too hard?

I agree the theory test is a joke, as posted before my brother had a quick flick thru the manual, walked into the test, came back out with full marks, he had never driven a car before in his life and 5 mins looking at the manual. Most of the question you can answer if you have any cop on at all.

i agree i passed the Theroy test without studying got 39/40.... its just to cash in on a few quid as far as i am concerned.... i have my Full Test in 3 weeks so will only be driving on my own for a few hours while i practice....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Vegeta wrote:
    That's all well and good in theory but completely impractical, with 9-10 month waiting lists what are people supposed to do, quit work or college for 10 months until they have their full licence..

They're supposed to not get jobs/go to college thats requires them to drive. Just because it's inconvenient to get the bus/train doesnt make itsomeone elses fault.

2 months! Wow thats amazing - I have been waiting 11 months now - and still no sign.

Howcome if I send in a letter they can magic up a place for me a lot sooner? Surely its not all down to cancellations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Big Nelly wrote:
    As far as I know its not because its for a motorbike and not a car, your friend would still be on a provisional license for a car?

I have driven bikes on a full bike licence for over 10 years, I still had to go do the theory test and get a provisional licence for my new car.
    I had provisional licences for driving cars (3 :/) before my bike, but never got around to doing the test, silly me.

i agree i passed the Theroy test without studying got 39/40.... its just to cash in on a few quid as far as i am concerned.... i have my Full Test in 3 weeks so will only be driving on my own for a few hours while i practice....

Doesnt matter if only a few hours, its ILLEGAL, your in Dublin so there is a heavy concentration of traffic so there will be very few area where you can guartee you won't meet cars/traffic. What happens if you crash because you where not sure what to do? if you only have 3 weeks to go then get a mate, pay him a few quid or just do more lessons. Why bother taking the risk?
    2 months! Wow thats amazing - I have been waiting 11 months now - and still no sign.

Howcome if I send in a letter they can magic up a place for me a lot sooner? Surely its not all down to cancellations?

Everyone puts in those letters now, when I did my test(good few years back now) I stuck in a letter and I got mine within the same month but everyone soon realised this and started to put in the letter as well. Not sure if it was a cancellation or what but not one of my mates/family ever had problems with getting a test within the 2-3 months time limit

Beruthiel wrote:
    I have driven bikes on a full bike licence for over 10 years, I still had to go do the theory test and get a provisional licence for my new car.
    I had provisional licences for driving cars (3 :/) before my bike, but never got around to doing the test, silly me.

I was in a similar situation. I had a full licence in 12 categories (all except A & A1 Motorcycles). Even though I have no interest in bikes, I decided to do the test to complete the lot. I had to sit the theory test with all the newbies even though I am an experienced driver in many categories.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Everyone puts in those letters now, when I did my test(good few years back now) I stuck in a letter and I got mine within the same month but everyone soon realised this and started to put in the letter as well. Not sure if it was a cancellation or what but not one of my mates/family ever had problems with getting a test within the 2-3 months time limit

I work for a company who will not give me a letter so I will be waiting the bones of a year for my test. For the smart arse who said get the bus/train to college/work. Yeah cos everyone in Ireland lives within a short stroll of the nearest bus stop/train station :rolleyes:

Here's an example, my house is about 17 miles from where I went to college or about 20 min drive as the roads are good. The bus would not have me in class for 9 in the morning and there was no train so I had to live on campus. Now if I could have driven to college on a provisional then it would solved all my problems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Nelly wrote:
    What happens if you crash because you where not sure what to do? if you only have 3 weeks to go then get a mate, pay him a few quid or just do more lessons. Why bother taking the risk?

Because the risk is negligible I suspect. Yes, everyone does drive on their first provisional, and yes, it is bold. (blah, blah..)

I dont buy this whole provisional drivers are a walking (or driving) menance at all. Sure they are inclined to be the ones in the wrong lanes and may well scratch your car trying to park, but they are generally aware of their shortcomings and quite courteous as drivers.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Not sure if it was a cancellation or what but not one of my mates/family ever had problems with getting a test within the 2-3 months time limit

The actual waiting times are here:
    http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPub.nsf/0/daac160e1d73c27d80256f0f003dbc05/$FILE/Vehicle Registration 05.pdf
    (5.5mb pdf!)

And they are more than 3 months.

Vegeta wrote:
    I work for a company who will not give me a letter so I will be waiting the bones of a year for my test. For the smart arse who said get the bus/train to college/work. Yeah cos everyone in Ireland lives within a short stroll of the nearest bus stop/train station :rolleyes:

If you company won't give you a letter then I guess 1. You don't need a car for work? 2. They provide transport to and from your office 3. There is enough public transport in the area that is provided so you wont need a car. I work in field now so I need a car in the office but its a joke the amount of people travel in when they don't need a car with them, company provides transport and there is public transport in the area so no need for car
    Because the risk is negligible I suspect. Yes, everyone does drive on their first provisional, and yes, it is bold. (blah, blah..)

I dont buy this whole provisional drivers are a walking (or driving) menance at all. Sure they are inclined to be the ones in the wrong lanes and may well scratch your car trying to park, but they are generally aware of their shortcomings and quite courteous as drivers.

Its illegal, end of story, doesn't matter what some driver you seen do on the road because they are legal on the road and have a full license. Learner drivers should not be on the road if they havent a full license driver with them.

If you think it is ok for some dumbass learner to scrape the whole side of your car and then drive off(which they all do) then thats ok for you, I rather like to think when I park my car it wil be in the same condition when I get back and I can tell you I would be very pi**ed if it wasnt.

Aware of there shortcomings? haha, most of them do 2-3 lessons so they can learn how to get from A-B and then head out on the road with there new "baby" and think they are the best drivers in the country, alot of them are quick to rip off the L plates as well so the Garda wont notice them. I know people like this and I have said it to them but all you get back is "Im a greta driver" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I'm not sure how Big Nelly can get so upset over how provisional drivers are breaking the law by driving on their own but still advocate pretending to need a full license for work to bump yourself up the waiting list, surely thats some sort of misdemeanor too?

OP, dont worry about driving on your own on L plates. As long as youre somewhat competent at driving, dont race around like a boy racer and on the off chance youre pulled over you dont give any abuse to the gardai youll be fine. The worst that'll happen is they'll tell you 'dont do it again'. I've known probably 30 people driving around on their own for at least 6 months each on L plates in the last few years and not one has had any hassle, a couple have been pulled over but thats all that was said to them.

Next time youre driving around just have a look at all the other L plated cars around you, 75% of them are probably people on their own.

Blut wrote:
    I'm not sure how Big Nelly can get so upset over how provisional drivers are breaking the law by driving on their own but still advocate pretending to need a full license for work to bump yourself up the waiting list, surely thats some sort of misdemeanor too?

No its not, and yes I need the car for work
    Blut wrote:
    OP, dont worry about driving on your own on L plates. As long as youre somewhat competent at driving, dont race around like a boy racer and on the off chance youre pulled over you dont give any abuse to the gardai youll be fine. The worst that'll happen is they'll tell you 'dont do it again'. I've known probably 30 people driving around on their own for at least 6 months each on L plates in the last few years and not one has had any hassle, a couple have been pulled over but thats all that was said to them.

Next time youre driving around just have a look at all the other L plated cars around you, 75% of them are probably people on their own.

Great advice, tell him to break the law, hence why I would love the Garda to have the power to ban these 75% of people. All of these 75% don't need the car they are spinning around in and it will cut the traffic congestion in city centre

Ok there were some serious generalisations there but aside from them, you are right I don't need my car for work I need it to get to work. I could use public transport but when the garda don't enforce the law why should I. Yeah its illegal but so is speeding and a lot of other things and I suppose you're going to tell me you have never driven a car over the speed limit in you life. If you have then you shouldn't be on the road either

I very rarely speed and it is amazing how many drivers will drive way too close to the rear of my car, definitely not safe distances, they brake the rules of the road and are generally full licenced drivers. The craziest driving I have ever seen is always by full licenced drivers. I have yet to see a micra with L plates doing about 150 kph overtaking on a hill while crossing a solid white line but saw 2 guys doing it friday

The problem is enforcement, if I knew that every time i got in the car there was a very strong chance I would be pulled over and fined then I wouldn't speed, drive without a full licence or break any rule of the road. I drive on the N7 and N20 every morning for about 12 miles and have never seen a guard there in 7 months. Joke, Bertie says Irish people need a greater belief/pride in their community, I say we need something greater to believe in, I have no faith in anything to do with the government. Tax, licences, garda, public transport, hospitals. They have all let me down badly in the past and have not been improved upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Vegeta wrote:

Here's an example, my house is about 17 miles from where I went to college or about 20 min drive as the roads are good. The bus would not have me in class for 9 in the morning and there was no train so I had to live on campus. Now if I could have driven to college on a provisional then it would solved all my problems

Just becasue you feel you can pick and choose to obey certain laws to suit yourself doesnt make it right. Can I break a few if it makes my life a bit easier day to day?

What would you do if you couldnt afford a car? die because the shop was too far away to go? No you'd adapt. Get a bike.

Advertisement