Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on 1st Provisonal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Big Nelly wrote:
    So your 6 weeks on the road and you think it is ok for you to drive around without anybody? how many lessons? you do realise you probably haven't a clue how to drive proper. There is no way after 6 weeks anyone would be able to drive correctly. I wonder what you would do if something out of the ordinary happened? what the bets if it was me I woud prob get out without an accident where as you have no experience so would prob wrap everything in sight

Well from a young age I was driving farm vehicles, you can get license for them at 16. Then I started in my fathers jeep and he was with me/or my brother all of the time. After that was in college so didnt need car, then I got job so put in for test and got next month. Hadn't my own car at that stage so brother took me out to refresh me on driving. Then went for 4 lessons. Two right before test and passed.

Wasn't so hard now was it?

your one of the lucky ones
    what if you have no car? then what you gonna practice with?? pay 100's on lessons everytime you wana use a car.

I do agree with most posters here.... bottom line is the waiting time is too high and if you really do need a car, you are screwed if you are on a first provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well from a young age I was driving farm vehicles, you can get license for them at 16. Then I started in my fathers jeep and he was with me/or my brother all of the time. After that was in college so didnt need car, then I got job so put in for test and got next month. Hadn't my own car at that stage so brother took me out to refresh me on driving. Then went for 4 lessons. Two right before test and passed.

Wasn't so hard now was it?

How long did you have to wait for your test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

AndrewMc wrote:
    How long did you have to wait for your test?

Already said it took a month

Arathorn wrote:
    Driving a farm vehicle is hardly the same as being on the roads, and only 4 lessons, sorry but i seriously doubt you have never driven alone before you got your licence. Even if I believe you, your cocky attitude to driving can lead to accidents just as easy as inexperience can

Cocky? where you get that, because I said it was against the law to drive without a full license driver? the only cocky person here is the guy driving around after 6 weeks saying he is safe on the road. I have seen to many things on the road to ever get cocky!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The best way to think is this.

Driving is bloody dangerous. If you are going to die of anything, chances are it will involve a vehicle or cancer. At least cancer only gets you and not the driver coming the other way. So dont act the maggot in a fast moving ton of metal.
    If you think you are a good driver, chances are you are just overly confident.
    NOONE is a good driver in their first 3 years of driving. I call bull**** on anyone who says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jumpy wrote:
    The best way to think is this.
    NOONE is a good driver in their first 3 years of driving. I call bull**** on anyone who says otherwise.

There are a lot of people out there with full licences who haven't been driving 3 years but yeah I agree with you about driving being very dangerous.

Big Nelly I can absolutely guarantee you I have less bad habits than you as a driver, I never said I could drive properly but I will continue to drive on my provisional until I am stopped or past my test.

Also the tester for your full licence thought you could drive properly after a very short period of time so why cant it be possible for me to drive properly???

Big Nelly wrote:
    Cocky? where you get that, because I said it was against the law to drive without a full license driver? the only cocky person here is the guy driving around after 6 weeks saying he is safe on the road. I have seen to many things on the road to ever get cocky!!!!!

I am safe on the road can you prove otherwise????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I used to have to cycle 20 miles to work. Then I saved up for a motorbike and eventualy a car. Buy the time I had got a car I had been on the roads for four years and another sixmonths of lessons and out every night with my dad in the pasenger seat I finaly passed my test.
    Use a bike, dont put the rest of us and the public in danger on the roads.

Vegeta wrote:
    I am safe on the road can you prove otherwise????

I can. You havent passed your test. You arent safe. Full stop.

dts wrote:
    I used to have to cycle 20 miles to work. Then I saved up for a motorbike and eventualy a car. Buy the time I had got a car I had been on the roads for four years and another sixmonths of lessons and out every night with my dad in the pasenger seat I finaly passed my test.
    Use a bike, dont put the rest of us and the public in danger on the roads.

Show me one bit of proof that provisional drivers cause more accidents or are more dangerous than full licnece drivers and I will take your side unquestioned

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote:
    I can. You havent passed your test. You arent safe. Full stop.

How would having a fully licensed driver in the passenger seat make me safer. he/she may point out driving errors but could hardly prevent an accident, I don't have a dual control car also see post 71 one bit of proof from a reputable source would shut me up

Vegeta wrote:
    Show me one bit of proof that provisional drivers cause more accidents or are more dangerous than full licnece drivers and I will take your side unquestioned
    Young Driver Accidents 1997, published in May 2000, is available in the Oireachtas Library. It includes limited details on the licence status of young drivers involved in road accidents where this information was available to the Garda. Within the constraints of this available information, which covered only 52% of young drivers involved in accidents, the report found that 38% of young car drivers and 65% of young motorcycle drivers injured in accidents, held provisional licences.

Theres a start

We have proved by passing a test that we are capable of driving safely and correctly. You have not there for should not be allowed on the road without tuition until you prove by passing your test that you can drive correctly and safely. I don’t care how long the waiting list is!

How can a long waiting list be used as an excuse? This is one crazy country.

Try driving in Europe on your prov and see how far your excuse gets you!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Big Nelly wrote:

What about this
    Big Nelly wrote:
    the worst driver are..............anyone on the road at the same time as me

And also your attitude that passing the test automatically make you a good driver

Jumpy wrote:
    Theres a start

My first complaint would be to define young, under 30.

Only 52% of accidents, hardly all encompassing and is it 38% of 52% or is it 38% overall?

Can you not see how other people looking into this country’s crazy rule see just how backward you are?

dts wrote:
    We have proved by passing a test that we are capable of driving safely and correctly. You have not there for should not be allowed on the road without tuition until you prove by passing your test that you can drive correctly and safely. I don’t care how long the waiting list is!

Last time i checked Ireland is also in Europe

Someone with a full licence sitting beside you a tutor if thats what we'll call it does not make you a safer driver, they may point out errors in your driving but they can not prevent a car from pulling out in front of you at an unsafe distance, the tutor has no pedal control and therefore can not prevent the accident.

I agree this country is crazy no one should be allowed on the road without passing the test with or without a tutor but that is not the reality here. Believe me I would loved to have taken a driving course in secondary school with a test at the end and having to do it over if I failed but the system here is not practical and laws not enforced.

There are loads of laws in this country (not just to do with the road) that are not upheld

Vegeta wrote:
    My first complaint would be to define young, under 30.

Only 52% of accidents, hardly all encompassing and is it 38% of 52% od is it 38% overall?

If you were not deemed as high risk then insurance companys would charge you the same as me. They dont just charge you more out of spite you know?

• Advertisement

dts wrote:
    Can you not see how other people looking into this country’s crazy rule see just how backward you are?

Actually I think this every single day, but if you mention it you get told "If you dont like it then feck off"

dts wrote:
    If you were not deemed as high risk then insurance companys would charge you the same as me. They dont just charge you more out of spite you know?

This is a counter productive arguement, if insurance was charged correctly then provisional drivers insurance would be very low infact even lower than yours as we could only drive a few times a week under strict tuition of an instructor or a full licenced driver.

By charging high premiums it is acknowledgement that provisional drivers drive alone.

Vegeta wrote:
    Someone with a full licence sitting beside you a tutor if thats what we'll call it does not make you a safer driver, they may point out errors in your driving but they can not prevent a car from pulling out in front of you at an unsafe distance, the tutor has no pedal control and therefore can not prevent the accident.

I agree this country is crazy no one should be allowed on the road without passing the test with or without a tutor but that is not the reality here

The person beside you will hopefully be making sure you abide by the rules that you possibly haven’t learnt yet.

What do you mean that is not reality here? You haven’t proven you are capable of driving on your own. That is it. Pass your test then you can drive where ever you want. The problem with this country is the attitude that it doesn’t matter because the roads are not policed so you can get away with what ever you want.

Jumpy wrote:
    Actually I think this every single day, but if you mention it you get told "If you dont like it then feck off"

I agree with you guys it is crazy but it is reality, I wish there was a better system, in fact i'd love a better system

dts wrote:
    The person beside you will hopefully be making sure you abide by the rules that you possibly haven’t learnt yet.

We are made sit a theory test to ensure we know all the rules of the road, infact probably more than most drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

I am off for another driving test now.... thanks for all the help this is officially the biggest discussion i have set off.....

I am off for another driving test now.... thanks for all the help this is officially the biggest discussion i have set off.....

It happens every week about the same topic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Good luck with the test.

Arathorn wrote:
    And also your attitude that passing the test automatically make you a good driver

Sarcaism is lost on some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Vegeta wrote:
    That's all well and good in theory but completely impractical, with 9-10 month waiting lists what are people supposed to do, quit work or college for 10 months until they have their full licence.
    Do what they did before they could drive. Simple as.

Advertisement