Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E lcheapo Recording - will this work

Options
  • 11-04-2006 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

I'm not concerned with anything other than the technical aspects of this query.
    I.e. if i plug this together will i end up with recorded sound....

Here is the diagram.
    http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8045/mmrecording6qc.gif

So i have 2 X

MICROMIX MX400
    Ultra Low-Noise 4-Channel Line Mixer
    Here's the low down on this
    http://www.behringer.com/MX400/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I plug 3 mics
    These ones http://www.behringer.com/XM1800S/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    Using 3 XLR to 1/4 Cables into micromix1.
    These 3 mics point at the drums.

I plug the output of this micromix into an input on the second micromix.

I plug the guitar amp and bass amp into 2 more inputs on the second micromix

I plug the vocal mic into the last input

I plug the output from the second micromix into my sound card set the volumes, click record....

My concerns....

Will the mics work?
    I think they will as there is an amp in the Micromix.

Your opionion please, this works out very cheap at about 100Euro.....
    That's why im doing it this way, it's just for playback purposes so that we can listen and change stuff....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I don't think it will work. The mixers don't have micpreamps, from what I can see. I think they are mainly keyboards/instrument mixers. You might get a signal into the pc but it will be very very low even with all gains up full. What you need is a mixer with xlr inputs. If I'm wrong and the mixers will work then the track will be in mono as there is only 1 output from the mixers. That's not a major issue. The weakest link will probably be your PC soundcard and software. What software and soundcard are you using? Average sound cards will give a lot of noise and crap levels for jobs like this, probably a lot of dc hum too. I'd recommend trial and error anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

This won't work cos these are just line mixers, you must have mic pre-amps. Unless you have lo-Z mics. If you want to record a rough band only demo for under 100 yoyo, then bring some recording devices into the rehearsal room e.g. tape deck/minidisk/dictaphone. Using the pre multi track method of moving the sound sources with relation to the mic to alter the mix. Most recordings pre 1960 were done this way. You can also use towels to quieten down the volume of the drums, quilts blankets and soft furniture can be used to "baffle" the other sound sources. You will need a source of amplification for the vocals. these recordings can then be transferred into your computer when you've got a result you are happy with. I used get ok results hanging an oldschool top loader tape recorder with built-in mic and speaker.
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

We have a 5 channel minimixer that we use for the drum kit. The mixer has a preamp in it afaik, the output of that goes into our PA system, with the other instruments - we get good enough sound quality

Advertisement