Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sony junk?

• 11-04-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

I was always led to believe that Sony Products were among the best one could buy. I have had a few Sony products over time and none of them have lasted too long without developing some problem or other. Just in the last couple of years I have bought a mini hi-fi and a home cinema system and in both cases the drive units died. I have other brand products such as Philips and LG and they seem to be far less tempermental. I am not into bashing a particular brand and it is just an observation on my part. I have bought my last Sony product already. Is this just my experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are certainly not what they used to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'd bought a Minidisc, had it just over two years, the motherboard went on it, would have cost more to replace than to buy a new one, It cost me over 300 punts new so i would have expected it to last longer than two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Had plenty of sony stuff over the years, and have currently sony gear for my home cinema and audio. Never had an ounce of trouble from any of it, and its on in some form most of the day.
    Not a particular fan of sony, dont go out specially to buy it, they just had what I wanted at the time I wanted it
    just they way the cookie crumbles, sometime you get lucky with a brand, other times you dont..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Brand name generally means sweet F.A.
    A lot of the products by competing brands are made by the same [strike]sweatshops[/strike] companies.
    I've had mixed experiences with Sony products, just as I have with other brands. The only real difference is price - to purchase, and to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've NEVER had a single problem with Sony products, hell my hi-fi amp is still grand after 15 years.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Noelie wrote:
    I'd bought a Minidisc, had it just over two years, the motherboard went on it, would have cost more to replace than to buy a new one, It cost me over 300 punts new so i would have expected it to last longer than two years.

Exact same thing happened to my ninidisc player after about 2.5 years. I Bought the new sony mp3 player to replace it and although its a great player, the software that came with it is absolute rubbish (unuseable and i work in IT). It has nearly put me off buying sony equipment (apart from the PS3 probably). I think at the moment that there are far more competitive brands out there now that offer high quality at a reasonable price rather than a decade ago when sony were perceived as the best.

Advertisement