Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Major? - POLL

• 11-04-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Which is your favourite major? Maybe elaborate below!

Which is your favourite major? 25 votes

US Masters
    0% 0 votes
    US Open
    52% 13 votes
    The Open Championship
    4% 1 vote
    USPGA
    44% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 theslick

- start of year
    - on bbc - don't have sky
    - same familiar course
    - hootie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

although I really enjoy The Open, The Masters is my fav...

Great course in great condition, tradition, BBC Coverage, has provided a number of European winners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say 99.99% of golf fans would choose either the Masters or the British Open.The US Open and US PGA lag behind as there is less sense of occasion and hype with them, less TV coverage, seemingly less history, some very unfamiliar courses etc. Overall they are just less memorable and famous.

Now as for the Masters vs the British Open. The Masters is obviously played on the same course every year. With the British, there is a rota and it is v. difficult to become familar with all the holes on all the courses and they can become a blur. I personally can't picture a lot of the current or past Open courses in my mind apart from St Andrews and maybe one or two holes on some of the other courses.. This variety is good in a way and things are less predictable but also means that the memoires can fade quicker.

The BBC coverage of the Open tends to be longer and more comprehensive than that of the Masters. However there's something special about settling down on Sunday night to watch the last round of the Masters on BBC :)

Even though I prefer links golf and think that Augusta can look contrived and artifical at times I think overall the Masters wins out because of its sense of occasion, glamour and familiarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Great course in great condition, tradition, BBC Coverage, has provided a number of European winners...
    is that the masters or the open, cause it could mean either.
    i find it gas that two of the responses so far are putting down the fact that the masters is on bbc as part of their reason that it's their favourite, so is the open championship. :D

i prefer seeing the links hand out a good whipping every couple of years, augusta national is a great course but at least the open changes venue and no coure/competition combination compare to The Open Championship live from St Andrews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

The Open is the best I think. The courses dont need to be 7500 yards, perfectly manicured and the greens not ridiculously fast to create as good a test as the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

It has to be the masters no if's or buts.. Ask any tour pro which tournament they would rather win.. and i think you'll find one answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

css wrote:
    It has to be the masters no if's or buts.. Ask any tour pro which tournament they would rather win.. and i think you'll find one answer!
    don't wan to cause trouble here but i think you'll find a lot of them would prefer to win the oldest and most prestigous of the four majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Dats right hartley its defo da british open, the masters doesnt compare, the maters is hit it high and long and put on very fast greens, the british incorporates every shot in the book( how about hitting a 4 iron from 150 yards into da wind, feckin magic:D Theres no place for machines like adam scot etc. Tiger is a machine but has amazing feel and a god given talent, phil always had the feel and talent but now he's adding a bit of the machine! I was delighted he won was sad for freddie tho, jeez he hit it so well like high fade of da first den drew his second into a few feet and birdie:D Now thats golf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To be honest the US PGA is the least important of the 4.
    The coverage of the Masters is limited and very poor.
    3 hours coverage the first 2 days and up until recently the Masters didnt allow coverage of the front 9 holes.
    I'd have to say I enjoy the British Open the most but only just,simply due to the interactive and extensive coverage on BBC.
    Plus the fact I can relate to the British Open,all of the courses on the Rota are public and possible to play,you cant say the same for Augusta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

The Open Championship is my favourite. Always entertaining to see how the Americans get to grips with the british courses and the british weather :) . Always gives us great viewing, great golf and great entertainment.

i also like the masters cos Augusta is a fabulous course but the crappy coverage of it ruins it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

The Masters is good, but usually ends up as a putting competition. Even this year, the longer tees didn't make much difference, average scores on day 1 were actually lower than last year.....

The British is the most interesting, throwing up names like Jean Van de Velde and Ben Curtis. Links courses more often than not, which is what interesting golf is all about. Now if only the Ryder Cup was in Portmarnock and not the K Club. The latter is an American style course and will play into the hands of the visitors big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

us open just shades it for me with the masters and the open very close 2nds.
    it rarely throws up a dodgy winner and with double bogeys possible on every hole it aint over till the card is signed. i think id rate the 5th major over the 4th.

Advertisement