Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevie G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't know why he felt he had to speak out on the subject but after doing so doing so he should not be leaving himself open to ridicule by falling down in the opposition box under zero contact.

Agreed. I wouldn't consider gerrard as bad as many others out there, but he certainly has taken a few unneccessary tumbles over the course of his career!Was just silly to come out saying that. Should have just left it at what Rafa said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

This is not the first time I have seen Gerrard dive. Didn't he have a dive in the CL final last year . I seem to remember him diving in a premiership match last season as well , can't remember the opposition but I,m sure someone will.

if you look at the replay of the "dive" your talking about (i take it you're referring to the penalty he won?) it was definitely not a dive, gattuso fowled him.
    Having said that, i definitely remember gerrard diving in a few games towards the end of last season - he used to knock the ball past a player, skip past them and when they'd stick out a leg he went to ground regardless of contact. He hasn't dived in any major way this season and i beleve he's matured further this season. i saw saturday as a temporoary relapse ;), as was said its very easy to go down in the box especially when you lose control of the ball.
    I don't think diving can be completely eliminated but its players who are consistently diving week in week out that are the problem. imo gerrard doesn't do this. oh and the card waving gesture really gets me going... whoever said they should get a red card in response was dead on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The Muppet wrote:
    You didn't highlight anything.
    I think the fact that he actually quoted the poster was tatamount to "highlighting" it.
    You made a claim about Rooney being a diver.
    Did he? Where exactly did he say that Rooney was a diver? I see that he made some reference to Ronaldo being a diver, which he is (despite the fact that your cohort PHB is looking for a date). I also see that TFTF made a reference to a fact that "pointing out that regardless of whether or not rooney was a cheat" in a contextual way. But I fail to see where he specifically said Rooney was a diver/cheat. Maybe you would like to highlight the exact area where TFTF did, for the benifit of the rest of us posters?
    I don't know what incident you are referring to could you be more specific and a link to a clip would be useful.
    Guess what Muppet...Neither do most of us!!
    I took it as a troll of United fans but I will be happy to retract if I am wrong.
    Big hint muppet. Read your own sig...
    Sometime you have to refference other teams when replying but there was no need to do so in this instance unless you are saying because one player cheats its ok for another to do so.
    Again, another oblique reference to I'm reading something into this that is not actually there
    I assume that is not the case as that would be a pretty strange position for a registered referree to take.
    *sigh*
    I replied to you as a ordinary user not as a mod but if you want to play the Mod card go ahead and make whatever changes you want , you don't usually consult me about changes to the forum.
    I suggest you look up what "consultation" entails. I also suggest, while doing that, that you look up the word irony.

To be honest I would have expected more from a Manu fan, of which I mostly have respect for. The fact that you have continually proven yourself to not even be in the proverbial "ball park" when it comes to the team you "support", to the extent that you completely forgot Mark Boshnich played for Manu at one stage, it comes as no surprise that you cannot have a rational discussion on aninternet forum, without attempting to score shallow points.

Really Tom, at your age, you should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there sure is a lot of bickering in this forum.

chill people, look at what is happening as a result - no one is responding to all my great posts in here, you're all missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tauren wrote:
    Fergie saying Wenger alwyas has an excuse, after the "our players couldn't see each other in the grey tops"
    Ah yeah, I forgot about that...class

Did SG not dive last weekend against Bolton in the box?

I don't think players should be coming out and saying these kind of things. He's not going to save the world by saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Funny video fade2black, seems to me that SG made these comments because he just hasn`t perfected the art of diving and looks rather silly, so he`s thrown his rattler out of the pram because the professional divers will not teach him!:rolleyes: ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is probably the best vid clip on here in ages, (well the no knicker socceram one was class also). Fair play Fade2black for posting it.

Pity a lot of others here could not see the funny side of it and forget about taking it as a personal attack on Liverpool.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Pity a lot of others here could not see the funny side of it and forget about taking it as a personal attack on Liverpool.
    It's the nature of soccer that there will be "heated" discussions and rivalrys. People do actually take it personally :D. I just waiting on the muppet to put up or shut up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin IMO is the perfect example of what is wrong with this forum at the moment..

Oh so I'm the perfect example but el rabitos, who causes far more controvsersey, isn't. Would that have anything to do with the Liverpool fans on here, like your good self, seeing me as a Liverpool hater? Even though I have nothing against the team. On the other hand, el rabitos supports Liverpool so he couldn't be a blatant troll who goes onto a United vs Arsenal thread and talks about how Arsenal and Liverpool are better than United. What exactly do Liverpool have to do with a game between United and Arsenal!!?

Its getting beyond a joke on this forum with the Liverpool supporters club. I've seen threads like "Lucas Neill - scumbag" and threads where the entire United team are called "a shower of *****" (The Liverpool Bollywood style video) yet nothing is done. But when the clear cut hypocrisy of Steven Gerrard is highlighted there's uproar.

Every team can be criticised lads, learn to live with it.

By the way, if you have a problem with my posts Jesus, confront me on thread or pm me.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    Oh so I'm the perfect example but el rabitos, who causes far more controvsersey, isn't. Would that have anything to do with the Liverpool fans on here, like your good self, seeing me as a Liverpool hater? Even though I have nothing against the team. On the other hand, el rabitos supports Liverpool so he couldn't be a blatant troll who goes onto a United vs Arsenal thread and talks about how Arsenal and Liverpool are better than United. What exactly do Liverpool have to do with a game between United and Arsenal!!?

Its getting beyond a joke on this forum with the Liverpool supporters club. I've seen threads like "Lucas Neill - scumbag" and threads where the entire United team are called "a shower of *****" (The Liverpool Bollywood style video) yet nothing is done. But when the clear cut hypocrisy of Steven Gerrard is highlighted there's uproar.

Every team can be criticised lads, learn to live with it.

By the way, if you have a problem with my posts Jesus, confront me on thread or pm me.
    Lol Lemlin, you should try digging upwards for a change. So a multi-millionaire player is found to not practice what he preaches. Stop the press please.

This thread, like most threads of it's ilk, always end up in a battle between clubs players. The problem is that no team can hold their hands up and claim the moral high ground. when that is pointed out to supporters, we have the tripe reguritated from keyboards like that from PHB and the muppet above. I'm actually not tyring to single out the muppet as the sole cause of this thread ending in a flame fest, but I have seen so so many unsubstatiated and unwarrented posts from this guy, that the fact he has the balls to actually post here astounds me. He clatters out facts and accusations from his keyboard at an alamring rate, and will never ever back anything up. That's what causes threads to end up in a flame fest. Next day he's off again in another thread, doing it all over again. He's not even good at it tbh.

I have had disagreements with you in the past, over football. But never any that would cause me to single you out as the "main cause" of anything in the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its hardly a case that Stevie came out with a mission statement about diving. I'm sure those question were from an interview where he was asked about diving. What's he going to say? "Yeah, diving's ok. Sometimes I dive".

Its amazing how we give out so much about diving, but we don't say much about the 100s of little fouls defenders pull off in every match to get an advantage. That's seen as manly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well said Hobart, well said indeed.

Can we put this one to rest now before it sparks up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

lock the thread ffs, this is going nowhere

Just keep bumping it there Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Originally Posted by Lemlin

do you want ur soother now or are u going to take a nap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So back On topic

Why is it that Wayne Rooney's a cheat for going down under slight contact vs Arsenal yet Stephen Gerrard is not for Going down under no contact in the Bolton game?

The Muppet wrote:
    So back On topic

Why is it that Wayne Rooney's a cheat for going down under slight contact vs Arsenal yet Stephen Gerrard is not for Going down under no contact in the Bolton game?
    Who said that wayne rooney was a cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

My thoughts on this are as follows. Players such as Gerrard, Rooney and Shearer can get away with these kind of things without being vilified by the press, simply because they are English. I've said it before, and will say it again, it does my head in. Shearer has been doing it for years - not diving - but elbows etc. Remember his kick to Neil Lennon's head. Rooney gets away with moaning to ref's far more than any other player would. And Gerrard has gotten away with loads of dirty challenges, and now diving. None of this is really brought up in the press - because they're English. They get more leeway with the press due to nationality, that's just the way it is. Had Drogba, Pires, Ronaldo, Ruud, Robben - any of these dived as Gerrard blatantly did, column inches would still be devoted to it next week.

As for this thread descending into farce - I have to say, of all the fans of teams on here, I personally feel that you literally can't say anythign slightly derogatory about the team or players of Liverpool without at least a few fans coming flying in here and going mental. You literally can't say anything, it's ridiculous. I know it happens with other teams too, but I really think Pool fans are the worst in here for it. Maybe Pool fans won't agree with my opinion on this, but it's just my opinion - I have heard it voiced from other quarters though.

My thoughts on this are as follows. Players such as Gerrard, Rooney and Shearer can get away with these kind of things without being vilified by the press, simply because they are English. I've said it before, and will say it again, it does my head in. Shearer has been doing it for years - not diving - but elbows etc. Remember his kick to Neil Lennon's head. Rooney gets away with moaning to ref's far more than any other player would. And Gerrard has gotten away with loads of dirty challenges, and now diving. None of this is really brought up in the press - because they're English. They get more leeway with the press due to nationality, that's just the way it is. Had Drogba, Pires, Ronaldo, Ruud, Robben - any of these dived as Gerrard blatantly did, column inches would still be devoted to it next week.

As for this thread descending into farce - I have to say, of all the fans of teams on here, I personally feel that you literally can't say anythign slightly derogatory about the team or players of Liverpool without at least a few fans coming flying in here and going mental. You literally can't say anything, it's ridiculous. I know it happens with other teams too, but I really think Pool fans are the worst in here for it. Maybe Pool fans won't agree with my opinion on this, but it's just my opinion - I have heard it voiced from other quarters though.

I agree totally on both counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I agree but to be fair it's only a minority of Liverpool supporters that spout the inane drivel that is not worth replying to that is all too evident in this thread.

This thread is a very valid topic , one that has been recieiveing a lot of media attention lately yet it started to go off the rails as soon as it started with the OP accused of Sh1t Stirring for daring to post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have to say, i don't think Rooney is afforded any special treatment by the press, not in a benificial way to him anyway.

The english press are just waiting for rooney to turn into Gazza mkII and are hounding him every step of the way.

I do agree that Shearer and Gerrard get away with too much. Shearer is one of the dirtiest players around and Gerrard has put in tackles so horrid even Essien would apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I didn't want to get involved in this thread but here goes................
    • Traore is garbage.
    • Josemi was a load of cack.
    • Warnock will never be more than an average Premiership player at best.
    • Hyypia is getting too old.
    • Kewell is no where near the player he was, and doesn't score half enough goals, despite alleged "improvement". I mean FFS Harry if you are not fit by yet I have no hope for you.
    • Garcia would run Ronaldo close in a race to see who could give the ball away quick enough.
    • Sissoko, the footballer, has difficulty passing, yes that's right, a football.
    • Cisse, well I don't think I even need to say anything. I'd drive you back to France myself if all you needed was a lift.
    • Morientes has been a phenomenal disappointment.
    • Fowler will never be anything more than a bit part player in this Liverpool squad.
    • Traore's own goal against Burnley last year was one of the most comical I have ever seen.
    • Despite Crouch's generally good play overall, he'd have trouble scoring in a brothel and not just because of his buck-toothed looks and freakesh size.
    • Liverpool as a club have underachieved every day bar one for the last sixteen years.
    • The atmosphere in Anfield for early kick off games can be woeful at times.
    • Liverpool got what they deserved being dumped out of the CL by Benfica.
    • Plenty of Liverpool supporters live in the past.

I am awaiting the inevitable backlash................................

You do make an eloquent case, I'll give you that, but it's a flawed one none the less. You claim that the English press is somewhat "easier" on players who play (or would qualify to play) for England.

The fact remains, that of the top 6 teams in the Prem (i.e. those teams who get the most press coverage) , that as a percentage, those temas contain a lot less English born players, than they do foreign born players. An extrapolation of that would show you that therfore there is bound to be a lot less to write about these players, in comparrison, as there are fewer of them.

However, I can still pick up most sports pages and read good and bad stories, of equal measure, about both English born players and those who are not. Maybe the (ex) captain of England got a break ages ago, but that's not such a big deal. What about the tripe and mis-information you read day in and day out about Rooney? Both on and off the pitch. What about the same crap you used to read about Gazza? Robbie Savage anyone? (Yes I know he is Welsh). How about David (calamity) James? I remember Joey Barton getting a doing from the press quite recently, and Pearce having to (re) step in to try an quell what he had started. So, it's not some huge sekert conspiracy to *up* the image of the English, while *downing* the image of those not lucky enough to play for England. It's simply a matter of numbers i.e. less English players = less to write about English players.
    Again I could say the same about a lot of posters on this board. I don't actually post here that much anymore, because of the level of signal to noise got so great after the Christmas period. However, I will concede that there are some posters that do take things "literally" to heart. I know, for example, that there is one regular poster on these boards who has me on ignore, but who actually reads every single one of my posts. Another, again who acts that they have me on ignore, does the same, and actually spent quite a lot of time, in the past following me around boards, looking at charters of forums I mod etc... trying desperately to *pick* holes in my arguments.

Most people, with any sort of tec savvy, realise that the ignore function etc are easily bypassible(sp?) etc.. But hey, some people are just silly.

What gets to me, in terms of the argument you put forward, is the fact that some posters put forward claims and accusations, that they simply cannot back-up. They then try to:

a) ignore
    b) edit
    c) flame

any attempt to have a rational debate about the misinformation they have raised. I find most of their blustering and plain ignorance to be funny tbh, and you don't have to look too far from this post to see a prime example of this ignorance. :rolleyes:

Since the inception of bullentin boards you have had stupidity, ignorance, flaming and muppets. The same can be said for soccer, listen to some of the chants ffs.

I don't let it get to me tbh, I think most posters can pick out the flamers, idiots and muppet.

I didn't want to get involved in this thread but here goes................
    • Traore is garbage.
    • Josemi was a load of cack.
    • Warnock will never be more than an average Premiership player at best.
    • Hyypia is getting too old.
    • Kewell is no where near the player he was, and doesn't score half enough goals, despite alleged "improvement". I mean FFS Harry if you are not fit by yet I have no hope for you.
    • Garcia would run Ronaldo close in a race to see who could give the ball away quick enough.
    • Sissoko, the footballer, has difficulty passing, yes that's right, a football.
    • Cisse, well I don't think I even need to say anything. I'd drive you back to France myself if all you needed was a lift.
    • Morientes has been a phenomenal disappointment.
    • Fowler will never be anything more than a bit part player in this Liverpool squad.
    • Traore's own goal against Burnley last year was one of the most comical I have ever seen.
    • Despite Crouch's generally good play overall, he'd have trouble scoring in a brothel and not just because of his buck-toothed looks and freakesh size.
    • Liverpool as a club have underachieved every day bar one for the last sixteen years.
    • The atmosphere in Anfield for early kick off games can be woeful at times.
    • Liverpool got what they deserved being dumped out of the CL by Benfica.
    • Plenty of Liverpool supporters live in the past.

I am awaiting the inevitable backlash................................
    Backlash? Lol, I'll let your own ignorance speak for itself.

Hobart wrote:
    You do make an eloquent case, I'll give you that, but it's a flawed one none the less. You claim that the English press is somewhat "easier" on players who play (or would qualify to play) for England.

The fact remains, that of the top 6 teams in the Prem (i.e. those teams who get the most press coverage) , that as a percentage, those temas contain a lot less English born players, than they do foreign born players. An extrapolation of that would show you that therfore there is bound to be a lot less to write about these players, in comparrison, as there are fewer of them.

However, I can still pick up most sports pages and read good and bad stories, of equal measure, about both English born players and those who are not. Maybe the (ex) captain of England got a break ages ago, but that's not such a big deal. What about the tripe and mis-information you read day in and day out about Rooney? Both on and off the pitch. What about the same crap you used to read about Gazza? Robbie Savage anyone? (Yes I know he is Welsh). How about David (calamity) James? I remember Joey Barton getting a doing from the press quite recently, and Pearce having to (re) step in to try an quell what he had started. So, it's not some huge sekert conspiracy to *up* the image of the English, while *downing* the image of those not lucky enough to play for England. It's simply a matter of numbers i.e. less English players = less to write about English players.
    I have to say I disagree. For example, let's look at Pires dive against Portsmouth - was it last year, or the year before? That was one dive, by one player, playing for one of the top clubs. He was slaughtered, vilified. Let's look at Robben versus Liverpool a few weeks back, when Reina "struck" him. There at least was contact in that situation (not saying he was right, as my previous posts will show I thought it was disgusting) but once again, he was vilified by the press.

Then let's look at Rooney versus Arsenal last year - nothing was mentioned after the game about his dive. Gerrard on Sunday - two dives and not a word.

I honestly think certain English players get away with more, as they're the darlings of the English media, the English footballing nation. Yeah Rooney's off the field antics are scrutinised a ridiculous amount, but for me, when it comes to on field mischief, they get away with a whole lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

As a pool fan I actually agree with a lot (not all) of the things Jivin Turkey has said above. Personally I like to call things as I see them, being a Liverpool fan will cloud my judgement but I try not to let it happen to too great an extent.

Re. the video to start this thread, it's a blatant attempt to win a penalty, deserves a yellow but he got up and didn't call for anyone to be sent off, didn't moan and didn't pretend he'd been stabbed. I have a problem with him diving (yes I do actually!) but not so big an issue as I would have if he had done any of the other things mentioned - for me how the player reacts after is what tips the balance between it deserving yellow and deserving red.

Feel free to ignore my post and Jivin Turkey's and carry on saying that all criticism against Liverpool will be rejected. Personally I think we're our own biggest critics most of the time.

Players such as Gerrard, Rooney and Shearer can get away with these kind of things without being vilified by the press, simply because they are English.

Have to say I completely agree with you there. It does my head in as well but it doesn't stop at the players. English managers get away with so much more also. Take Robson calling Jose a number of times to his face a ****ing ****. Now not a word was mentioned of that but had that been the other way around they would have wanted him ran out of town and crucified.

As for the players I think its only the good international players who get away with it to a good regard for ignorance. The Shearer situation takes the biscuit at times but who all remember Beckham a couple of years back. Blatantly threw an elbow into Bowyer but never got booked. Why? Well we don't know but coincidentally there was an England match on during the week and it would have ment a ban for that match also! Not singling out Becks at all but its ridiculous they way they do have a blatant lean towards the English players.

p.pete wrote:
    As a pool fan I actually agree with a lot (not all) of the things Jivin Turkey has said above. Personally I like to call things as I see them, being a Liverpool fan will cloud my judgement but I try not to let it happen to too great an extent.

Re. the video to start this thread, it's a blatant attempt to win a penalty, deserves a yellow but he got up and didn't call for anyone to be sent off, didn't moan and didn't pretend he'd been stabbed. I have a problem with him diving (yes I do actually!) but not so big an issue as I would have if he had done any of the other things mentioned - for me how the player reacts after is what tips the balance between it deserving yellow and deserving red.

Feel free to ignore my post and Jivin Turkey's and carry on saying that all criticism against Liverpool will be rejected. Personally I think we're our own biggest critics most of the time.
    My original post on here, I should probably try to explain better. I'm not saying all Liverpool fans go mad about criticism of the club etc. I know there are plenty who don't, there are plenty with balanced views (as balanced as can be, noone can be thoroughly balanced when discussing their own team, in my view) but I just think that it does happen more often in threads criticising Liverpool in some way, than in threads criticising other teams that certain fans just go balistic and literally cannot handle anything bad being said.

Is this some sort of retreat? Falling back from the "nobody is allowed to criticise Liverpool" position to a "nobody is allowed to criticise anything England or English" position...

p.pete wrote:
    Is this some sort of retreat? Falling back from the "nobody is allowed to criticise Liverpool" position to a "nobody is allowed to criticise anything England or English" position...
    I'm not sure if that question is directed at me? My original post was along two lines. One stating that threads being in any way derogatory towards Liverpool end in abuse usually, from some Pool fans who aren't too happy seeing their side criticised in any way, even in valid ways.

My other point was on the English players getting away with things easier side of things. I pointed out 3 top Englishmen who I think regularly get a little bit more leeway.

• Advertisement

Well fair enough if you feel that way. Personally I don't go near other teams threads in general. I've no idea if there's many pool fans who do venture in to dig their oar in (give their balanced opinions :)) to man united threads for example but I'd be interested to know.

I'd disagree that Liverpool fans go balistic when anything bad is said - for example it's blatantly obvious we haven't won the league in quite a while. I think it's more a case of people going balistic at how eager a lot of people seem to be to actually point out anything bad, and attempts to blow things out of proportion. Also the number of people that say things like:
    cannot handle anything bad being said.

It's like a bloody broken record how often I hear that.

I'm not sure if that question is directed at me? My original post was along two lines. One stating that threads being in any way derogatory towards Liverpool end in abuse usually, from some Pool fans who aren't too happy seeing their side criticised in any way, even in valid ways.

My other point was on the English players getting away with things easier side of things. I pointed out 3 top Englishmen who I think regularly get a little bit more leeway.
    Nope, not aimed at you. The general thrust of the thread seems to have changed from Gerrard is a hyporite (that was mildly funny), to "nobody can say anything bad about pool", to "nobody can say anything bad about England" (in english press at least).

p.pete wrote:
    Nope, not aimed at you. The general thrust of the thread seems to have changed from Gerrard is a hyporite (that was mildly funny), to "nobody can say anything bad about pool", to "nobody can say anything bad about England" (in english press at least).
    Well I'd have to hold my hand up and say I went off topic. But that's the way discussions happen, in the real world, and I think it's the way it should happen on boards. Discussions evolve, new perspectives brought in, it's how conversation happens. Otherwise each time someone wants to point something out that they think is relevant to the current topic, but not necessarily perfectly on topic, they'd have to head off and start a new thread, and the number of threads on the footie forum would spiral out of control!

But, back on topic :D I must say I have to agree that I feel Gerrard is slightly hypocritical in his views. I didn't see all the game, but saw the end, and he took a dive again in the 2nd half. When I originally saw this thread, I assumed that was the video linked, and was shocked to see it was a different one, as I certainly wouldn't see Gerrard as being up there with the regular divers in the Premiership. The reason I think it hypocritical is, to come out a week before and say it should be stopped, but then to do it, not once, but twice in one game....

Well I'd have to hold my hand up and say I went off topic. But that's the way discussions happen, in the real world, and I think it's the way it should happen on boards. Discussions evolve, new perspectives brought in, it's how conversation happens. Otherwise each time someone wants to point something out that they think is relevant to the current topic, but not necessarily perfectly on topic, they'd have to head off and start a new thread, and the number of threads on the footie forum would spiral out of control!
    Totally agree, I was just pointing out it seemed to be evolving into a retreat of sorts :p

But, back on topic :D I must say I have to agree that I feel Gerrard is slightly hypocritical in his views. I didn't see all the game, but saw the end, and he took a dive again in the 2nd half. When I originally saw this thread, I assumed that was the video linked, and was shocked to see it was a different one, as I certainly wouldn't see Gerrard as being up there with the regular divers in the Premiership. The reason I think it hypocritical is, to come out a week before and say it should be stopped, but then to do it, not once, but twice in one game....
    Yep, any player diving is bad. Didn't see the match either, only the clip and the suggestion that it wasn't the only dive of the match.

As was already mentioned in the thread (by a pool fan I think) Gerrard shouldn't really be going round talking about diving - I think Rafa had commented on it and should have been left at that. However, when asked by the media directly he's not likely to say, divings bad but we all do it...

p.pete wrote:

I'd disagree that Liverpool fans go balistic when anything bad is said - for example it's blatantly obvious we haven't won the league in quite a while. I think it's more a case of people going balistic at how eager a lot of people seem to be to actually point out anything bad, and attempts to blow things out of proportion. Also the number of people that say things like:

It's like a bloody broken record how often I hear that.

Maybe you hear it so much because there's some truth in it. No smoke without fire etc.

As shown on this thread, there are several people, like myself, who think that this forum is more or less a Liverpool supporters club.

I posted some negative comments about Liverpool when I came here and I've been branded a 'Pool hater since. Anything positive I say about Liverpool and their players is ignored and when I mention any slightly negative point, all that is thrown back in my face is a dismissmal of the point with a sentence like "oh, sure you hate Liverpool anyway".

It doesn't matter if I make the exact same point about Man United, Arsenal or Chelsea, the Liverpool supporters always attack even slight criticisms.

A matter for a different thread I'd say though.

Lemlin wrote:
    I posted some negative comments about Liverpool when I came here and I've been branded a 'Pool hater since. Anything positive I say about Liverpool and their players is ignored and when I mention any slightly negative point, all that is thrown back in my face is a dismissmal of the point with a sentence like "oh, sure you hate Liverpool anyway".
    But sure you do, don't you?

p.pete wrote:
    But sure you do, don't you?

Case point.

Lemlin wrote:
    Maybe you hear it so much because there's some truth in it. No smoke without fire etc.
    However you being greeted with the assertion that you're a pool hater and post as such isn't subject to the same logic?

• Advertisement

I don't think any team has the franchise on hypocracy.

I think think any fans/posters of a particular team have the franchise on stupidity or idiocy. To single out a certain group of fans and say that one set is worse than another, only leads to the type of crap people are complaining about, and is counter productive.

Hobart wrote:
    I don't think any team has the franchise on hypocracy.

I think think any fans/posters of a particular team have the franchise on stupidity or idiocy. To single out a certain group of fans and say that one set is worse than another, only leads to the type of crap people are complaining about, and is counter productive.
    You could be right. However I've not noticed the same from any fans bar Liverpool, and I'm fairly confident I'm not the only one to have noticed it. As I said, it's my opinion, I'm sure plenty of others differ!

I'll put it to you this way, p.pete even said loads of people have said it to him, being a Pool fan. I personally have not seen it mentioned about Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Blackburn - anyone else. I have seen it mentioned a few times about Pool fans.

This is totally off topic tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Perhaps it says more about who's mentioning it, rather than who's being mentioned?

You could be right. However I've not noticed the same from any fans bar Liverpool, and I'm fairly confident I'm not the only one to have noticed it. As I said, it's my opinion, I'm sure plenty of others differ!

I'll put it to you this way, p.pete even said loads of people have said it to him, being a Pool fan. I personally have not seen it mentioned about Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Blackburn - anyone else. I have seen it mentioned a few times about Pool fans.

I not really sure what you mean about "it" tbh. If by "it" you mean goading, flaming and general stupidity, I would have to disagree.

Have a look at the thread from last years CL final, for a fine example of goading etc.... See the comments that where made by Manu fans around half time. That's just one example I can think off of hand, that sticks in my mind. As for this subject being OT, this thread seems to have no real defined subject at this stage, and the discussion seems to be rolling along nicely tbh.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Perhaps it says more about who's mentioning it, rather than who's being mentioned?
    I would agree that there is an element of that also.

Re. the topic, read your own earlier comments regarding the art of conversation or whatever it was.

Never actually said to me - but said as a whitewash towards pool fans in general. Usually from people who have brought some idiotic (though not always :)) charge against Liverpool, Liverpool fans or players. As soon as a point is defended then you start hearing "liverpool fans can't take criticism" crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lemlin wrote:

As shown on this thread, there are several people, like myself, who think that this forum is more or less a Liverpool supporters club.

It doesn't matter if I make the exact same point about Man United, Arsenal or Chelsea, the Liverpool supporters always attack even slight criticisms.

A matter for a different thread I'd say though.

Or maybe it is because since you have found your way onto boards you have been spouting the same rubbish ad infinitum, then when you are pulled up or somebody tries to have a reasonable debate with you you say "OMG THEY ALL HATE ME COZ I DO NOT LIKE LIVERPOOL" you were the first to propogate the myth that this is a liverpool supporters club type forum and you continue on your crusade to get everybody on your side despite your argumentative posting style and your image as the tireless rebutter of the soccer forum (wonder how long your comeback will take). It has been recognised by fans of other teams that you do not like liverpool (yesterday I think by reckless who is a spurs fan but has also mentioned it) and you denied it as you always do, now as you said surely there is no smoke without fire, if so many people think you do not like liverpool and not all of them are liverpool fans then there must be a shred of truth to it surely.

The crux of the matter is that there would be no issue if you were in any way even handed with your criticisms but you are obviously not, you jump in with your underwhelming knowledge of all things football related and spout out what has actually been shown up on numerous occasions as inaccuracies then fallback, conveniently forget that what you have posted is a complete falasy and try again on the same argument based once more on flawed and often incorrect information.

Then you go on and accuse a mod of the forum of allowing pro liverpool bias to affect the decisions that are made on it despite the FACT that historically there have only been two major bans on the soccer forum since the changeover and both have been applied to Liverpool fans, one of whom will never be allowed access again. Despite the FACT that there is more than one mod and that decisions taken by one are open for questioning by the others and can and have been changed in the past if they are not seen as correct. Yet you still finger point and whine. Nobody else has noticed that what you cite occurs and in fact one of the most pro man u fans on the board has said that he does not think it happens at all yet you will not be swayed, despite the mounting evidence to the contrary, hell why should you, it seems to be your discussion style here anyway, ignore everything that anybody says that you do not agree with and continue on with your diatribe until people get bored with you and log off.

Now where is the lid for that can of worms of yours Lemlin ??

Ah right ah right calm down calm down...

I'll throw in my 2 sense here (and i expect change by the way). While I wouldn't go so far as to say that this forum is a Liverpool forum when things get said about Liverpool there are a few (minority I know) that swarm all over you in a how dare you saying anything bad against Liverpool vein of form.

Case point is a while ago with regards to tapping up players and that whole Cisse/Defoe/Rafa situation I asked for proof that Spurs have been tapping up Cisse. The response that was received was well Rafa said it so it must be true. Basically all the proof we need is that Rafa said it. When I and others questioned this we were attacked as Rafa/Liverpool haters.

Now again to reaffirm my stance, I know they are in the minority but situations like this are becoming more common. Its my personal opinion that while you follow a team you are slight biased and to have a completely 100% levelled opinion is impossible. I suppose though also the fact that as far as I know there are a lot more Liverpool fans on this site than any other club will leave it open to being slightly tilted towards the red side of the Mersey. That said there is no excuse for ignorance.

Or maybe it is because since you have found your way onto boards you have been spouting the same rubbish ad infinitum, then when you are pulled up or somebody tries to have a reasonable debate with you you say "OMG THEY ALL HATE ME COZ I DO NOT LIKE LIVERPOOL" you were the first to propogate the myth that this is a liverpool supporters club type forum and you continue on your crusade to get everybody on your side despite your argumentative posting style and your image as the tireless rebutter of the soccer forum (wonder how long your comeback will take). It has been recognised by fans of other teams that you do not like liverpool (yesterday I think by reckless who is a spurs fan but has also mentioned it) and you denied it as you always do, now as you said surely there is no smoke without fire, if so many people think you do not like liverpool and not all of them are liverpool fans then there must be a shred of truth to it surely.

The crux of the matter is that there would be no issue if you were in any way even handed with your criticisms but you are obviously not, you jump in with your underwhelming knowledge of all things football related and spout out what has actually been shown up on numerous occasions as inaccuracies then fallback, conveniently forget that what you have posted is a complete falasy and try again on the same argument based once more on flawed and often incorrect information.

Then you go on and accuse a mod of the forum of allowing pro liverpool bias to affect the decisions that are made on it despite the FACT that historically there have only been two major bans on the soccer forum since the changeover and both have been applied to Liverpool fans, one of whom will never be allowed access again. Despite the FACT that there is more than one mod and that decisions taken by one are open for questioning by the others and can and have been changed in the past if they are not seen as correct. Yet you still finger point and whine. Nobody else has noticed that what you cite occurs and in fact one of the most pro man u fans on the board has said that he does not think it happens at all yet you will not be swayed, despite the mounting evidence to the contrary, hell why should you, it seems to be your discussion style here anyway, ignore everything that anybody says that you do not agree with and continue on with your diatribe until people get bored with you and log off.

Now where is the lid for that can of worms of yours Lemlin ??

Read the comments of others there Thanx, its not just me. I do love the way you manage to single me out yet again though.

If you ask me, the only way this forum can be moderated properly is to bring in people who know little or nothing about football, don't support a team and so can't be biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is that you yet again maintaining that the forum is not moderated properly ?

Nice :rolleyes:

Its me maintaining that having moderaters who haven't an interest in any team would lead to a more unbiased forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement