Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes too small - do I have any rights?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi! I bought a pair of expensive shoes (€200+) a week ago. The shop assistant measured my feet and came back with a size smaller than I'd usually buy. When she brought me the shoes, I told her that they felt tight. She said they are 'supposed to be tight' and that they'd loosen up and I should just break them in. Well, a week later, my toes feel numb and I've a numb patch on my leg, which I'm attributing to the shoes. My problem is this - she told me to wear them, I wore them, as a result, can she refuse to exchange them for a bigger size? There's no denying the fact that they've been worn, like!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Quackles wrote:
    My problem is this - she told me to wear them
    If she told you to put your hand in a fire would you?

Sorry, I'm being facetious. The fact that you've worn them out and about rules out your chance of returning them. Regardless of whether or not the Sales Assistant told you to wear them it was your decision to buy them. You would be within your rights to return them if they were faulty or if they were too small and you didn't wear them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

No, I wouldn't, but this differs slightly - I don't want to go naming the shoes, shop etc because I'm conscious that this forum isn't about badmouthing brand or shops, but suffice to say that they differ from regular shoes so much that they provide training on how to walk in them, etc. If they differ that much, all I could do was trust the supposed professional knew what she was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Quackles wrote:
    No, I wouldn't, but this differs slightly - I don't want to go naming the shoes, shop etc because I'm conscious that this forum isn't about badmouthing brand or shops, but suffice to say that they differ from regular shoes so much that they provide training on how to walk in them, etc. If they differ that much, all I could do was trust the supposed professional knew what she was talking about.

All you can do is complain and hope they'll give you a refund because IMO you deserve one.
    Personally i'd have gone with my instincts and asked for a bigger size to see how they compare I think. You could always stick them on ebay?

Quackles wrote:
    but suffice to say that they differ from regular shoes so much that they provide training on how to walk in them, etc.
    I take it then that they're orthopaedic shoes. If so, well then you would have a case.

I'll take a run down at lunch and see how I get on. I'll keep you posted :) Cross the fingers that the shop manager is a nice 'un! Eth0, I'm kicking myself for not trusting my instincts as you say - you live, you learn, last time I listen to a shop assistant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Why dont you just go back to the assistant that sold the shoes and state your case.If the assistant is selling 200 euro shoes they should be able to give better advise than "oh they loosen up".I do think ultimitely it was your decision to make the correct size choice although i do understand your frustration.Good luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ah the MBT's.
    Apparently their claims are absolute bullsh*t. Also...they kind of look like those shoes polio sufferers wear. I wouldn't be taken in by their wild claims tbh.

If they are MBTs i would have to agree with ethO_ and say they are absolute bull too.They are just an easy money for the company that make them for vunerable people with back/joint issues.A good pair of comfortable flat shoes are your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was all ready to say no way!, but if they said they would loosen up and did not then the description given was wrong, and you certainly can get a refund.

Yup, MBTs they are. Yeah, I feel like a major jackass for falling for the hype, but I loved the idea of the curved sole - I could say that I quite literally rocked!! Whether or not the claims are correct, if they felt as comfortable on the right foot as the do on the left, I'd be a happy bunny, the soft sole makes it like walking on air. But I digress!! I went back at lunch and it was like beating my head against a brick wall. She remeasured my foot, she insists that they are the right size. She tried a bigger pair on me (3/4 of a size bigger) and insisted that she could see the heel moving on them so they were far too big. They seemed more comfortable to me!! She still claims that I have to break them in. She advised me to wear them for steadily longer periods indoors and if I'm still not happy to talk to the manager of the shop, who wasn't there today. She as much as told me, though, that she won't take them back. I've emailed the company to confirm that numbness of the extremities was normal, it'll be interesting to see what crap they come back with!! You know, I'm so annoyed with myself right now.. I guess I'm just a sucker for advertising!

• Advertisement

Just a question-Why did you buy them? problems with your back,feet, posture?
    I personally could not imagine numbness being normal.I would not go with what the assistant is telling me,they can be very pushy at times but you should stand your ground and say the bigger size is better.If anything a shoe too small will only increase your problem.Its always best to get the slightly bigger size and if you find its slightly big put a cushining insole into it for a better fit.

padi89 wrote:
    Just a question-Why did you buy them? problems with your back,feet, posture?
    I personally could not imagine numbness being normal.I would not go with what the assistant is telling me,they can be very pushy at times but you should stand your ground and say the bigger size is better.If anything a shoe too small will only increase your problem.

Combination of reasons - sore hip/knee joints was one, the promise of toned legs another - I've just lost over 2 stone but no matter what I do, can't get rid of my hideous legs. Another reason was the fact that my sister swore they were the most comfortable shoes she'd ever had in her life. Cow :) I have to admit, whether or not it was all in my head, the hip thing improved when I was wearing them.

I will probably go back, but I'll do it on a day when I can bring someone more confident and pushy than I am.. I'm really bad at the standing up for myself thing.

Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself,if you do it once you will have no hesitation about doing it again in the future.It will do your confidence the world of good and if you do need someone with you make sure you speak.At the end of the day the very very very worst they can say is NO and thats not worth getting upset over.Loosing two stone is a great achievment and im sure this gave you a boost in confidence,why not add give yourself more now and go back and speak up for yourself.

A representative got back on to me from MBT Ireland, he's offered two suggestions, the first being to loosen the laces at the bottom while still having them tight at the top. Secondly, he says he can send me a thinner insole which will will mean more room in the shoe, so I'm hopeful this can be resolved. Very impressed with the speed they responded on this!

Quackles wrote:
    A representative got back on to me from MBT Ireland, he's offered two suggestions, the first being to loosen the laces at the bottom while still having them tight at the top. Secondly, he says he can send me a thinner insole which will will mean more room in the shoe, so I'm hopeful this can be resolved. Very impressed with the speed they responded on this!
    Well there you go, they're almost admitting the mistake to you which gives you greater leverage to go back and get a refund if the recommended solutions don't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

if you buy items when relying of a salespersons expertise and professional advice and the goods turn out to be unsuitable for the use intended then youre entitled to a full refund under the sale of goods act 1980.
    theres no two ways about it and let them know that.

Advertisement