Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corn on Cob with Husks

• 11-04-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Where would I get such a thing?

I want to BBQ it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Tesco and Marks both sell them when they're in season, so you'll have to wait a few months yet I'm afraid.

You could try defrosting a corn cob, wrapping it in a banana leaf and barbecuing it? You can get banana leaves in the freezer sections of most Oriental Emporiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Shabadu wrote:
    Tesco and Marks both sell them when they're in season, so you'll have to wait a few months yet I'm afraid.

Depends where they source them from.

Over here, the Mexican / American stuff starts arriving any time around now. Sometime around May, this will get replaced by Moroccan, then Spanish/Italian, then finally we'll get Swiss (i.e. local for me) in July-ish.

But I'd agree the best bet in Ireland is Tescos or Marks....so if they don't have 'em yet....ask the shop floor-manager when they'll have them in.

Strangely, despite getting them in husks, I've always stripped & foil-wrapped them for doing on the BBQ. Must try the "straight" way this year. Anything I need to look out for?

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's a thing I saw in Chicago last summer. They soak the cobs in water for a few hours and then throw them on the barbie for a few minutes. Then they smother them in butter.

The butter part I'm not too sure about but the rest is good. The parts where there is no husk gets burned but if you pick the right ones then this should be minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ballooba wrote:
    soak the cobs in water for a few hours

Ah...this would be the bit I was missing in my mental pic of how to do this!

I was wondering what would stop the whole thing from going up in flames :)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

bonkey wrote:
    I was wondering what would stop the whole thing from going up in flames :)

jc

hehe....popcorn on the cob

IIRC they had them in nolans supermarket in clontarf a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

SoundWave wrote:
    hehe....popcorn on the cob

IIRC they had them in nolans supermarket in clontarf a few weeks ago

Might have to go round and visit my bro in Clontarf this evening then. :D

The water cooks it as well as stopping it from brusting into flames. If you don't soak it then it will cook fine but it will be all hard.

The regular way to cook corn in my house is to boil it, I would imagine soaking and barebquing it would have similar effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

It sounds good. If you get some let us know how it turned out. :)

Advertisement