Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Projects

Options
  • 11-04-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry but I HATE them!

In all other walks of life I am a 'team player' - sport, music etc but expecting already very busy students to arrange a mutually suitable time and contribute as a group to some thick assignment is wishy-washy 'oh we're so modern' BULLS")T! It always ends up getting broken up into individual projects anyway and stuck together on the last day!

I know that our future jobs may require this but I work in such a place and it's completely different. Possibly because people are a little older and more adult about it or obviously more professional!

end of rant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I know what you mean mate! I'm doin a group project, but because of different classes, not living close to each other, etc., we've only been able to get together ONCE, for 30 minutes!

Totally impractical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Although thank God for msn!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was doing a thing there a while back in a group of two and the day in question the other party didnt show up and the tutor didnt accept that as an excuse :rolleyes: and asked me all the questions she hadn't obviously bothered to do and didnt ask me anything of the hours of work I had put in for my own stuff. Made me look like a complete fool. Not impressed with people who try and save time by doing group work.

Dave is that thing for History?

Grimes wrote:
    Was doing a thing there a while back in a group of two and the day in question the other party didnt show up and the tutor didnt accept that as an excuse :rolleyes: and asked me all the questions she hadn't obviously bothered to do and didnt ask me anything of the hours of work I had put in for my own stuff. Made me look like a complete fool. Not impressed with people who try and save time by doing group work.

Dave is that thing for History?
    No sir... what thing for history? :(

I'm talkin bout one for Software Engineering that I'm doin with Owen (BZDzrr.....)

I have a tutor that makes us do fairly large group assignments for the Early Med course. Dont panic , its all good i'the hood

• Advertisement

Yessssssssssss :cool:

You got that Irish history essay done? I'm eh.... workin on it... ¬_¬

Nah, headin over to Tallaght library to get a few books for it (good luck :rolleyes:), as they all seem to be gone from UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I loved doing group work! My group were like myself total dossers but allright at Irish, we met up the day before and put all our stuff together in a fancy folder pulled a savage presentation out of our asses [as gaeilge might I add] and we got an A...the highest in the class :)
    yeah so group works awrigh imo!

My flatmates are both in commerce and they always have group yokeys to do and they both hate it so I do see the other side of the coin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I'm in Commerce, and get loads of group work. It has its upsides and its downsides. On the upside, you can often choose areas you have an interest in from the whole project (I go after the presentations and the IT). On the downside, this can mean that you compleetly avoid the main things you're supposed to learn from the project by hanging around the edges and doing the peripheral work like putting the documents together, and making the presentations.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

for our final year project they'd a good selection of both group and individual ones. i went for an individual one, i seem to do better at them but i do enjoy group work. it's just that i'm quite sidetrackable so if there's someone like me in my group it all goes to pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Some of the Comm ones are good, and I'm usually good at them, but doing a Quantitative Analysis for Business one at the moment and I'm a total disgrace. Absolutely holding back the others. I just don't understand it. Hardly their fault.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    Yessssssssssss :cool:

You got that Irish history essay done? I'm eh.... workin on it... ¬_¬

Nah, headin over to Tallaght library to get a few books for it (good luck :rolleyes:), as they all seem to be gone from UCD.
    Get the **** out of Tallaght ! Thats my private gem! :D Its not due till the 21st right? Balls to that I have 3 essays to do before then. I think ine of them was due in today.

Ahh here!

Tallaght is far from a gem, mate! :p Didn't find any bloody books on the topic, so got 2 books on writing essays! :D Sure they might motivate/inspire me. I also got 2 books on Australia :) (I'm actually more likely to read those than anything that might help me in my exams)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Some of the Comm ones are good, and I'm usually good at them, but doing a Quantitative Analysis for Business one at the moment and I'm a total disgrace. Absolutely holding back the others. I just don't understand it. Hardly their fault.
    I saw that it looks tough..and your not the only one struggling if thats any consolation!

It's not really... :p

No-one told me Commerce involved maths! (And no I didn't check)

It's not like my other subjects where I can make **** up, or something like accountancy that's just arithmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Commerce/BBLS is full to the brim of group assignments. It really depends on your group. In 1st year, they were a bit of a disaster because you didn't really know anyone that well, but now (3rd year) everyone knows each other well enough to take alot of the pain out of these group assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm really not a big fan of group assignments. At the moment, I've got a group project in software engineering, and sometimes it just seems like the rest of the group is content to sit back and do nothing.. I've written about 4 times as much code as anyone else on that team.
    *sigh*

We could do with an extra member on our team... you in?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

lol :p
    Coding for one team is bad enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Some groups have lots of fun and do cool things. Some of the videos / mini drams acted out for commerce presentations are priceless.
    Its a vital skill to be able to work with people, no use going out into the work place unprepared.

That being said, team work is an unfair way of grading ppl because the make up of teams arent balanced, esp when you get to pick them your selves.

Its not fair to have to carry someone or for them to pull your grade down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Haven't ever had a group assignment in 2 years here. *Dances*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Scraggs wrote:
    I loved doing group work! My group were like myself total dossers but allright at Irish, we met up the day before and put all our stuff together in a fancy folder pulled a savage presentation out of our asses [as gaeilge might I add] and we got an A...the highest in the class :)
    yeah so group works awrigh imo!

My flatmates are both in commerce and they always have group yokeys to do and they both hate it so I do see the other side of the coin too.

haha they're probably in a group with me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

yah i'm doing that one too, it's kinda nasty. i'm after coming in on a wednesday, my day off to finish it :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

The worst is two-person assignments....last year in Statistics I got loaded with someone who was both lazy and didnt have a clue what was going on. I ended up doing the projects for them.

At least in a 4 or 5 person team, the team can carry a waster.

There are way too many group projects in quinn. We have ones in Managing Employee Relations at the moment and while my team is great (we got to pick our own team) the lecturers are hopeless and give rubbish advice and guidelines.

Umaro wrote:
    yah i'm doing that one too, it's kinda nasty. i'm after coming in on a wednesday, my day off to finish it :-/

You've Wednesday's off too, eh? I've a suspicion I know who you are now...

This is a nightmare and a half anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

elmyra wrote:
    Haven't ever had a group assignment in 2 years here. *Dances*

I shall join you in your merry dance, fair lady :p

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I hate group-work. I'm a bit of a one-man show when it comes to doing work, I'm not able to be told what to do at all at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Not into the old group work in some ways, we have to do pbl and it was a nightmare - ended up doing all the work on my own and the worst thing was that not only was i relying on my group but part of my project relied on getting information from people who were in hospitals other than mine which was even worse. The only good thing was it wasn't actually worth anything - actually that made it even worse again.

Our other group work isn't so bad as it's half individual half group marks which meant everybody was forced to pull there own weight or else they new they'd be super screwed. Still an absolute disaster when lecturers don't put up all the information you need to do your project until a week before the due date and refuse an extension when you were actually meant to have a month - don't think that could have gone any worse really.

Advertisement